Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Fat Tax or Fair play?

Grey Area

Fashion chain New Look is reviewing its prices after an outcry that some larger-sized clothes were more expensive than those in smaller sizes.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44121064

Is it reasonable to charge more for larger sized clothing?  Why don’t we pay less for smaller sizes?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grey Area said:

Is it reasonable to charge more for larger sized clothing?  Why don’t we pay less for smaller sizes?

The extra material cost? If the fat people dont pay it then are you telling me I have to? I have to pay more for them so they dont feel offended?

To be honest, I would imagine the material costs are negligable, as with many goods these days that have vast markups, so there is an argument to be had against the disproportionate extra cost.

Having said that, what is fair these days? Retailers screw as much money from people as they can within the principles of supply and demand.

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, seanjo said:

Well yes, more cloth and more stitches.

This is the obvious economic answer.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Grey Area said:

I’ve always paid more for clothes because Im a fat b******

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This is all very well for ordinary ladies, but my missus is the horizon. Now she's getting penalised just cos she's got hills and buildings and trees around her circumference? It's not right.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Grey Area said:

Why don’t we pay less for smaller sizes?

That's not really a fair question as smaller sized clothing set the initial prices. Oversized clothing in the mainstream is a recent thing. 

Stores that specialize in clothing for "bigger" people should be able to charge whatever they want. If people don't like it, they will go to a competitor and buy from them. Choice is the bread and butter of the free market.

2 minutes ago, Dark_Grey said:

That's not really a fair question as smaller sized clothing set the initial prices. Oversized clothing in the mainstream is a recent thing. 

Stores that specialize in clothing for "bigger" people should be able to charge whatever they want. If people don't like it, they will go to a competitor and buy from them. Choice is the bread and butter of the free market.

So why is there not an incremental rise in price as the size increases?

Ive seen this before when buying clothes on amazon with slightly higher prices for medium and large, but never before on the high street in the UK.

Is this something other countries do?

Anyway, first world problems and all that, praise be to primark

• Like 1

I already pay infinitely more than you guys do.  Yep I'm fat and though only 6'2 i have a 30 inch inseam so am all torso.  I have to get huge clothes.  Also if something shrinks it totally shrinks so you usually look at the quality of garments more and again pay more for better quality.  20 bucks for a colored tshirt is sort of cheap. 

4 hours ago, seanjo said:

Don't like it? Eat less...

That's quite a generalization.  There are thise in society who eat too much and do not exercise.  Then there are those of us who have thyroid issues abd have to follow special diets for our health.  And, boy, do we get taken advantage of because we cannot eat certain things. I do agree with more material, a slightly higher cost. BUT what gets me is looking in store like Walmart where you can buy a man's 2XL t-shirt for $5, but the woman's is $10.  Uses the same amount of material...so I but men's T-shirts, much cheaper 

5 hours ago, seanjo said:

My life devalued because i eat unhealth and don't exercise.  Wow, Seanjo. Does your society really need you either or are we both just pointless life that are better not lived?  We should have a pact its better for everyone else.

11 hours ago, travelnjones said:

My life devalued because i eat unhealth and don't exercise.  Wow, Seanjo. Does your society really need you either or are we both just pointless life that are better not lived?  We should have a pact its better for everyone else.

Who devalued your life? You're making things up and playing the victim. 

1 hour ago, seanjo said:

I always wondered about thyroid problems; if someone overweight with such a problem was denied food, would they lose weight?

Not necessarily.  My daughter ears way more than me, yet I have a hard time losing.  I have Graves disease and am of the 10% that gain weight, not lose it. I assumed I had Hashimoto's due to the weight gain.  Just my luck to get a autoimmune disease and not even get to be skinny with it.  Basically, I have been trying to ensure that I drink 3 to 4 litres of water a day and my meds have seemed to have leveled it off for now.  I used to be slim and worked out every day.  Now the energy is gone.  So, I look at heavier people in a different way.  

14 hours ago, travelnjones said:

My life devalued because i eat unhealth and don't exercise. 

Yes, devalued by yourself. If you don't value yourself why should others? 

21 hours ago, seanjo said:

That's to simplistic, we live in a society whereby something has to be blamed on something - personal responsibility doesn't come in to it any more. There is no medical condition which makes you fat. (prepare for incoming from people who believe they are fat due to a medical condition and not the amount of calorie in take compared to calories burnt)  We've all seen the pictures of famine in Africa were hundreds or thousands of people dying, skin and bone, but at the back is a 20 stone fat person with thyroid problems.

17 minutes ago, seanjo said:

I agree, I find this thyroid/hormone thing to be an excuse, if you don't take the calories in the body can't produce fat.

exactly. its simple losing weight its as easy as putting on weight. you just reverse the two.  - intake more calories than your burn you put weight on. - take in less calories than you burn you lose weight. its that simple. just people cannot stick to it because they don't want to, willpower or lack of.

A friend of mine wanted to lose weight, she wanted to go running but didnt want to go running on her own so i said i'll join you, so we kept a diary, her heart rate at rest was in the 80's beats per minute, after a few months her's was down to 60's and went to as low as 43 - 45 range, yet a fat person today reading this will be in the 80's to 90's or even higher, that signifies the huge difference in your heart muscle and its scary to think. - your doing nothing, motionless yet your heart is pumping twice the speed as someone who's fitter. I've just tested mine now and its 49 beats per min. and im not a fitness freak, play seven a side twice a week and that's it. (but active in work manually and on my feet for 8 hours covering about 6 to 8 miles a day)

being fat is a lifestyle choice. (for able bodied people)

4 hours ago, stevewinn said:

exactly. its simple losing weight its as easy as putting on weight. you just reverse the two.  - intake more calories than your burn you put weight on. - take in less calories than you burn you lose weight. its that simple. just people cannot stick to it because they don't want to, willpower or lack of.

A friend of mine wanted to lose weight, she wanted to go running but didnt want to go running on her own so i said i'll join you, so we kept a diary, her heart rate at rest was in the 80's beats per minute, after a few months her's was down to 60's and went to as low as 43 - 45 range, yet a fat person today reading this will be in the 80's to 90's or even higher, that signifies the huge difference in your heart muscle and its scary to think. - your doing nothing, motionless yet your heart is pumping twice the speed as someone who's fitter. I've just tested mine now and its 49 beats per min. and im not a fitness freak, play seven a side twice a week and that's it. (but active in work manually and on my feet for 8 hours covering about 6 to 8 miles a day)

I do agree, and in most cases it’s about simple education and will power.  What I find tough nowadays is finding the time.  A colleague of mine got really fit, they bought an excersize bike and put it in front of their tv.

4 hours ago, stevewinn said:

being fat is a lifestyle choice. (for able bodied people)

I think it is a little more complicated than that. Fresh healthy food can cost significantly more than the cheap processed crap most stores offer.  I could feed my children for a week with about £10, however I try to provide a healthy varied diet, and can sometimes spend upward of £40-£50 a week.  But that aside one only has ones self to blame for not burning off those calories.

Personally I blame mobility scooters I think they are the worst invention ever, you see them in the supermarkets stupid lazy       b@&?!£&s driving around then getting off to walk over to the harder to reach six packs before heading over to the pork scratchings, there’s always a few parked outside our local Greggs.  In today’s society we are enablers.

• Like 1

...can we also make obese people pay more for their flights? Weight = Fuel = Money in aviation so the fatter you are the more you should pay. I have seen people whose overweight proportions are more than my luggage allowance!:w00t:

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Grey Area said:

I do agree, and in most cases it’s about simple education and will power.  What I find tough nowadays is finding the time.  A colleague of mine got really fit, they bought an excersize bike and put it in front of their tv.

I think it is a little more complicated than that. Fresh healthy food can cost significantly more than the cheap processed crap most stores offer.  I could feed my children for a week with about £10, however I try to provide a healthy varied diet, and can sometimes spend upward of £40-£50 a week.  But that aside one only has ones self to blame for not burning off those calories.

Personally I blame mobility scooters I think they are the worst invention ever, you see them in the supermarkets stupid lazy       b@&?!£&s driving around then getting off to walk over to the harder to reach six packs before heading over to the pork scratchings, there’s always a few parked outside our local Greggs.  In today’s society we are enablers.

I agree being educated on health and nutrition and will power are 2 of the main problems with our fat society of today,and the body can't produce fat on its own...but i can say about 25% of people with thyroid disorders do have an acceptable reasoning for being unable to shed weight.Some people with thyroid problems have extremely low energy and due to chemical imbalances can suffer from severe depression,and that can make just getting outta bed almost impossible for some...

That said hell i've had to pay extra and had to special order clothes over the past few years as most large retail stores do not carry clothes built for my frame...I'm 6'ft 245 lbs atm but have maintained 8% bodyfat,work out 5-6 days a week,and eat extremely clean...i kinda expect to pay more than a malnourished North Korean or an anorexic supermodel would lol

Eating healthy is for the rich is a myth i have busted more times than i could ever count,i have literally corrected that false narrative at the gym hundreds of times through the years!...I can feed myself for a week and eat large amounts of healthy foods for $35-$50 US dollars a week and again i'm 245 lbs and eat 4-6 times a day,it does take some knowledge and inventive cooking to do so lol