Unexplained Mysteries uses cookies. By using the site you consent to our use of cookies as per our Cookie Policy.
Close X
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Still Waters

F-35 jets from US to arrive in UK in June

9 posts in this topic

Still Waters

The first F35 fighter jets will arrive in the UK next month, two months ahead of schedule, the Defence Secretary has announced.

Four of the cutting-edge fighters will fly trans-Atlantic from their current home in the US, with several air-to-air refuelling serials en route and will be based at RAF Marham in Norfolk.

The new F-35 aircraft will be flown by pilots from reformed 617 Squadron, the same squadron that flew the Lancaster bombers in the famous 1943 Dambusters raid which used Barnes Wallis' revolutionary bouncing bombs to disable Adolf Hitler's industrial heartland.

The news was announced by the Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson on the 75th anniversary of the daring night-time mission.

https://news.sky.com/story/undetectable-f-35-jets-from-us-to-arrive-in-uk-in-june-11374579

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

.ZZ.
Posted (edited)

American design and craftsmanship! :tsu:

Other than this: " Lockheed Martin said across the 3,000 jets being built, 15% of each one is comprised of parts from British companies including Rolls-Royce, and BAE Systems. " ;)

Unrivaled in the world. B)

(I won't mention the budget overruns) :lol:

Edited by .ZZ.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Carlos Allende

Dambusters? How are they relevant any more? Surely it should _at least_ be the fighter squadron from 'Rock the Casbah'?

Piney
Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, .ZZ. said:

American design and craftsmanship! :tsu:

Other than this: " Lockheed Martin said across the 3,000 jets being built, 15% of each one is comprised of parts from British companies including Rolls-Royce, and BAE Systems. " ;)

Unrivaled in the world. B)

(I won't mention the budget overruns) :lol:

F-22s are better in my opinion  and Lockheed has way too much greed and likes to wastes our tax money.

Bring back the Flying Anvil I say!  Smokes like a pig but she got the range! :lol:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonnell_Douglas_F-4_Phantom_II

Edited by Piney
  • Like 1

and then
32 minutes ago, Carlos Allende said:

Dambusters? How are they relevant any more? Surely it should _at least_ be the fighter squadron from 'Rock the Casbah'?

They lost a third of the squadron to employ an experimental bomb - that worked.  They blew two dams and created quite a bit of trouble for the Germans.  I'd say that kind of squadron deserves to be recognized for the historic accomplishment.

• Like 2

Carlos Allende
20 minutes ago, and then said:

They lost a third of the squadron to employ an experimental bomb - that worked.  They blew two dams and created quite a bit of trouble for the Germans.  I'd say that kind of squadron deserves to be recognized for the historic accomplishment.

Yeah, come to think of it, the Dambusters _do_ deserve to be honoured more than a fictional squadron from a punk song. What was I thinking?

• Like 1

LV-426
1 hour ago, .ZZ. said:

Ah... you know you love Anglo-American collaberations ZZ...

Who doesn't love Fleetwood Mac!? :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Hammerclaw
4 minutes ago, LV-426 said:

Ah... you know you love Anglo-American collaberations ZZ...

Who doesn't love Fleetwood Mac!? :lol:

Lindsey Buckingham.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

stevewinn

Don't forget the carrier trials later this year over in the US.

A short 3 part Documentary on the Ship.

Part 1.

• Thanks 1