Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Atheism and Randomness.

danydandan

I see this randomness in The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth, While there is a fixed amount of levels and items, they are randomly generated. Even when I play as isaac and use the D6 I do not know what power-up I'll reroll into. I just don't know. I can guess, but it's never certain.

Isaac Rebirth (in case no one knows what I'm talking about)

2 minutes ago, danydandan said:

I agree, it's mind boggling to think about all the possibilities and probable outcome from cause and effect.

Well I can say that as a gamer I like games in the vein of this discussion multiple outcomes driven by your choices. For me they are the most rewarding games probably because they are closer to reality.

There is so many different outcomes in life. We could of been replaced by the other like human species we wiped out way back when (cant remember the name for them). What if the dinosaurs wasn't wiped out etc etc. All one big what if.

2 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I see this randomness in The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth, While there is a fixed amount of levels and items, they are randomly generated. Even when I play as isaac and use the D6 I do not know what power-up I'll reroll into. I just don't know. I can guess, but it's never certain.

Isaac Rebirth (in case no one knows what I'm talking about)

I just can't wait for Detroit Becoming Human to come out.

2 minutes ago, Baldylocks said:

There is so many different outcomes in life. We could of been replaced by the other like human species we wiped out way back when (cant remember the name for them). What if the dinosaurs wasn't wiped out etc etc. All one big what if.

Dinosaurs werent wiped out, they just rebranded.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, danydandan said:

I just can't wait for Detroit Becoming Human to come out.

I play a lot of 90's games. Modern games bore me to death. I hate having my "hand held" as I play through. The original doom required that you memorize the map, where the secrets were at and the key cards. Now, it's all laid out for you.

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

I play a lot of 90's games. Modern games bore me to death. I hate having my "hand held" as I play through. The original doom required that you memorize the map, where the secrets were at and the key cards. Now, it's all laid out for you.

Yeah you cant beat the classics, not only do I go back to them I have even played the ones I didn't play growing up (like castlevania) and stil enjoy them. I miss the difficulty they had.

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

This is why I still love the original Rogue.. 

3 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I agree, you should try Kingdom Come Deliverance it's an extremely hard realistic RPG that is difficult to the point of throwing your PC out the window. No hand holding, no cheats, they even made it harder with updates.

Edited by danydandan

I'm an FPS guy. Quake 1 & 2, Duke Nukem 3D, Redneck Rampage, and of course Doom. The only RPG games I've ever really cared for were the first 3 persona games and grandia 2. I think final fantasy 1 taught me that I hate grinding. Though I will give symphony of the night credit, it's one of the best if not the best castlevania games ever.

Here we go. Right back into randomness.:lol:

Edited by XenoFish

14 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I'm an FPS guy. Quake 1 & 2, Duke Nukem 3D, Redneck Rampage, and of course Doom. The only RPG games I've ever really cared for were the first 3 persona games and grandia 2. I think final fantasy 1 taught me that I hate grinding. Though I will give symphony of the night credit, it's one of the best if not the best castlevania games ever.

Here we go. Right back into randomness.:lol:

Quake 3 arena was my jam.

Hi Dany

I don't consider myself as an atheist because I see us as god. Potential and the ability to understand ourselves our environment and to manipulate them to create. Both we and our environment exist as potential for conditions to react, is it random yes and no In a sense, there may not be the proper combinations present everywhere or all the time but there exists the potential for a unique set of conditions to exist and have a favorable reaction. We are one of those unique reactions to a combination of potential, even moreso in that we can create the conditions to control outcomes.

jmccr8

Edited by jmccr8
Auto corrupt

As an atheist I believe that we are probably* as significant as a grain of sand in the Sahara Desert.   And the Sahara Desert is as significant as a single drop of rain falling on an ocean.   And the ocean is really very, very, very very insignificant indeed.

* however there is also the possiblity that just as Earth is the only planet in 10 billion galaxies that we (so far) know is capable of supporting life, maybe Earth is the only planet in 10 billion galaxies capable of supporting life.   Which makes us totally unique.   But also, coincidently, even more insignificant.   Because if we're the only planet in billions of galaxies to have life on it then clearly life is, on a universal scale, almost infinitely insignificant indeed ;) 

Edited by Essan
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Essan said:

As an atheist I believe that we are probably* as significant as a grain of sand in the Sahara Desert.   And the Sahara Desert is as significant as a single drop of rain falling on an ocean.   And the ocean is really very, very, very very insignificant indeed.

* however there is also the possiblity that just as Earth is the only planet in 10 billion galaxies that we (so far) know is capable of supporting life, maybe Earth is the only planet in 10 billion galaxies capable of supporting life.   Which makes us totally unique.   But also, coincidently, even more insignificant.   Because if we're the only planet in billions of galaxies to have life on it then clearly life is, on a universal scale, almost infinitely insignificant indeed ;) 

Have you ever thought of reversing your philosophy?

Edited by MysticWolf