Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Yanny or Laurel? Which one do you hear?

Still Waters

Just now, quillius said:

Hi Kismit, did you listen to it on two different mediums? Or if the same 'radio' for example was it via a different source?

Two separate news stories. My husband only heard Yanni for both, but I am seriously gobsmacked.

• Like 3

It is Laurel on my phone and Yanny on my desktop.    Very clear either way.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, bee said:

just saw this .... 

link - we made a tool so you can hear both Laurel and Yanny

still yaMMy for me though... but on that link thing Laurel sounds nicer to the ear....

Thanks for the link bee. I've listened to about a dozen recordings and I still hear laurel. I've heard laurie maybe 3 times. If I go almost all the way to the right, I hear yanny. First time I've heard it that way. I edited because I notice the graph also changes when the sound changes.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 3

I've only ever heard Laural. Sounds just like the GPS giving me directions on Laural Canyon Blvd.

• Like 3

When I move the marker to the right in bee's link, the time it switches to me hearing yanny changes, and like bee, I hear m's instead of n's.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Saru said:

I would have said it's 'laurel', I can't perceive the word 'yanney' from it at all.

Deaf Git :P 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

For those, like me, that only hear "Yanny" or "Yammy"

Loosely cup your hand(s) around one or both ears to increase the BASE, and you will hear "Laurel"

Discovered this while messing around trying to understand it.

Edit: Technically I suppose the cupped-hand technique decreases TREBLE, but you get the point.

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 2

I heard it both ways- on the video in the OP its yanny, but when it was played on the radio its Laurel.

Of course Im making the massive assumption that they are both playing the same recording...

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Torchwood said:

I heard it both ways- on the video in the OP its yanny, but when it was played on the radio its Laurel.

Of course Im making the massive assumption that they are both playing the same recording...

Try the above technique in post #32.

• Like 1

I heard Yanni first.  I read a few posts and listened for the low frequencies and got Laurel in two instances. Yanni was a much higher pitch than the Laurel. Laurel was a male voice.  I don't know what I'd classify Yanni as other than a cartoon voice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, bee said:

yes this has to be a technical trick of some kind because I heard 'yanny' - well 'yammy' actually - 

I reloaded the page about 3 times and it was always 'yammy' - 

there is no way the recording I heard was 'laurel'....

so I'm guessing that somehow the recording is programmed to say yammy or laurel to different IP addresses...?

After playing the recording many times today I have been hearing both "Yanny" and at times "Yammy".

And now my wife is hearing "Yury"

Go figure :lol:

For some reason or the other I find this fascinating.

Edited by .ZZ.
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, susieice said:

I've listened to about a dozen recordings and I still hear laurel.

If I go almost all the way to the right, I hear yanny. First time I've heard it that way.

Exactly the same here. I have to slide it right over to the other end before I hear anything even like 'yanny'. Bizarre.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Review post #32

It's a treble/bass tonal thing I guess. 

• Like 1

This first time I heard it: Started off as yanny, yet changed to laurel mid way through. so "yanaurel".

Then it just stayed with laurel.

The plot thickens...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Movie: Sniper calls in, "I have both Yani and Laurel in sight. Who is the target?"

Sniper Replies, "I heard you say Laurel but my spotter says you said Yanne."

Words may have consequences but so does the interpretation...

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

WAIT!!!

Okay so I listened to it using headphones and I hear Laurel, then I play it through my phones speaker and it's Yanny.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Myles said:

It is Laurel on my phone and Yanny on my desktop.    Very clear either way.

It's the opposite for me and Yanny sounds slurred.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, OverSword said:

It's the opposite for me and Yanny sounds slurred.

I agree that Yanny was "slurred" a bit, but it was clearly Yanny and not Laurel on my desktop.   On my phone, it was Laurel plain as day.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, .ZZ. said:

After playing the recording many times today I have been hearing both "Yanny" and at times "Yammy".

And now my wife is hearing "Yury"

Go figure :lol:

For some reason or the other I find this fascinating.

haha ..... Yury

that's a new one :D

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, UFOwatcher said:

Movie: Sniper calls in, "I have both Yani and Laurel in sight. Who is the target?"

Sniper Replies, "I heard you say Laurel but my spotter says you said Yanne."

Words may have consequences but so does the interpretation...

Then Yury springs out of the bushes and gives a lethal rabbit chop to the snipers neck....

:passifier:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

What the hrck is "Yanny" supposed to mean anyway. It's not even a word. Of course they wouldn't be saying "yanny" would they. it's strupid. 

Edited by Vlad the Mighty
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, quillius said:

Hi Kismit, did you listen to it on two different mediums? Or if the same 'radio' for example was it via a different source?

Well I played it on the clip provided and heard it on the radio (many times over), and it's not in any possible way anything but "laurel", since there's no such word as "yanny", as mentioned previously.

Edited by Vlad the Mighty
  • Like 2