Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Yanny or Laurel? Which one do you hear?

Still Waters

3 hours ago, .ZZ. said:

After playing the recording many times today I have been hearing both "Yanny" and at times "Yammy".

And now my wife is hearing "Yury"

Go figure :lol:

For some reason or the other I find this fascinating.

That's subliminal influence by the Russians again. 

• Haha 3

I think it's just a sound trick if you speak and combine 2 words at the same time. I can hear both and I can switch my brain to hear either Laurel or Yerry. But seems like Laurel has more influence.

• Like 2

Don't listen to this its a mind control device to be activated on in the future similar to what is seen in Kingsman

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

What I find amazing is I clearly heard, "Yanny" over and over again.   Both my hubby and my son heard, "Laurel" and looked at me like I was crazy when I told them what I heard.   :huh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I hear the one that matches whichever word I'm looking at when I hear it. It flips back and forth based on visual input for me. If I shut my eyes, I also hear both, alternating from one to the other. I'm guessing reading about this audio primed me to interpret the audio "illusion" that way.

Interestingly, the exact same thing happened to me over that blue/black vs. gold/white dress image that went viral a year or so ago.

Edited by Seti42
  • Like 2

It seems the person on the recording may actually saying laurel.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/yanny-laurel-debate-explanation-real-answer_us_5afc7463e4b0779345d54ad9

Now it's the gold/white dress again if you remember from a few years back. I looked at it again and I still see gold and white, although I can plainly see the black/blue example to the left. If I read the text and go back, I see a color I can only describe as periwinkle. Not royal blue. It is known that the dress was royal blue and black. Go figure :blink:

http://www.nationalgeographic.com.au/science/blue-or-white-dress-why-we-see-colours-differently.aspx

• Like 1

Yes, the word really is 'laurel'. Variations in an individual's ability to hear certain frequencies, or distortions caused by various devices used to listen to the recording can make it sound like 'yanny'. I tried the application with a slider controlling which audio frequencies are emphasized.

Favoring extreme low frequencies gave a rather rumbly rendition of 'laurel'. Choosing the very highest gave a quite screechy 'yanny'. The balanced frequency version, in the middle of the range, gave the clearest sounding word, and that word was 'laurel'.

Mobile devices, and even some desktop computers have small speakers, which emphasize the higher frequencies, reproducing the sound as 'yanny'. Better speakers with a more balanced frequency response should consistently give out 'laurel'. Cases where both 'laurel' and 'yanny' are heard at times probably involve speakers  somewhat biased in favor of high frequencies, but not to such  an extent as some others.      

Edited by bison
added information corrected misspelling
  • Like 2

I hear Laurel or Yanny depending on the frequency fudge though the device don't matter.. but this whole thing makes me wonder about Hardy. Does Hardy have a name or two too depending on the frequency?

• Like 4

According to sources on the Internet, the original word is "Laurel"

However, it was found that modulating the bass/treble balance to reduce bass and emphasize the treble tone produces a word that sounds like "Yanny", or, "Yammy"

As noted, some devices will emphasize bass or treble.

Also, people have different sensitivities to either bass or treble tonal qualities.

As I hear "Yanny", simply lightly cupping my hands over my ears will result in a clear sounding "Laurel", as my cupped hands reduce treble.

I also noticed that after I did the "cupping" technique that I could, at will, switch between both words without using my hands. THIS I could do for a short while, then it reverts back to "Yanny"

What strikes me is this...

Are there words other than "Laurel" which exhibit this effect?

• Like 2

I wonder if I hear Laurel because I don't like Yanni.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, ChaosRose said:

I wonder if I hear Laurel because I don't like Yanni.

PTSD thing. :P

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, pallidin said:

PTSD thing. :P

You mean I was traumatized by ever having heard Yanni?

• Like 2

pallidin, pallidin/********, ********

:o

1 minute ago, ChaosRose said:

You mean I was traumatized by ever having heard Yanni?

Yes. It's a non-word which will forever dominate your dreams and cause significant, debilitating stress...

• Like 2

Perhaps God is not Yahweh, but Yanni.

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 2

I must start a new cult religion...

2 minutes ago, pallidin said:

Perhaps God is not Yahwe, but Yanni.

No wonder it pours when I get out the car door.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ChaosRose said:

No wonder it pours when I get out the car door.

Tip...

Don't park next to active sprinklers...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, pallidin said:

Yes. It's a non-word which will forever dominate your dreams and cause significant, debilitating stress...

But it is not a non word. It is Greek for John. Yanni or Yannis =John 

• Like 2

I have my PC connected to my TV-surround system - much bass, etc.. So when I heard it the first time it sounded like; Yaaaurel.

The second time around I also heard; Yaurel  (but not as distinctive as the first time, and with less; aaa). So I turned up the sound, and then, all I could hear was, Laurel.

They say it's a frequency issue, depending what sound-system you listen through. So people listening through ordinary PC-speakers, or headphones might hear Yanni more frequent (I haven't tried).

What I want to know is; what was the guy, pronouncing the word in the recording, intended to say in the first place? Was it Yanni or Laurel?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Kismit said:

But it is not a non word. It is Greek for John. Yanni or Yannis =John 

l-22411-man-calls-girlfriend-yanny-durin

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, EllJay said:

I have my PC connected to my TV-surround system - much bass, etc.. So when I heard it the first time it sounded like; Yaaaurel.

The second time around I also heard; Yaurel  (but not as distinctive as the first time, and with less; aaa). So I turned up the sound, and then, all I could hear was, Laurel.

They say it's a frequency issue, depending what sound-system you listen through. So people listening through ordinary PC-speakers, or headphones might hear Yanni more frequent (I haven't tried).

What I want to know is; what was the guy, pronouncing the word in the recording, intended to say in the first place? Was it Yanni or Laurel?

laurel

• Like 1

On 5/17/2018 at 1:21 PM, thelion318 said:

Don't listen to this its a mind control device to be activated on in the future similar to what is seen in Kingsman

Too late.

• Like 1