Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

robotic drone delivery service

trevor borocz johnson

I feel like a Robotic Drone Delivery Service would be highly beneficial. For one thing the drones would be up in the sky, limiting the number of accidents with pedestrians unlike robot cars or even normal cars. They would probably be more efficient in weight not having to carry a frame to support weight of people or chairs. Travelling through the air would save on friction losses as it would almost be like a boat. They would also travel in a straight line reducing total distance you would normally have to travel. I think I would definitely pay for a commercial robot drone to pick up groceries and dinner etc. would you?

Edited by trevor borocz johnson

Start-up expense would be a bear!  Once it had the bugs worked out, it'd be cool.  

• Like 1

Be careful 

We have a large hardware chain called Bunnings down under. Various charities do sausage sizzles as fund raisers on weekend mornings. 

One enterprising fellow flew a drone down to pick up his Bunnings sausage and was facing a fine of $9,000.00

Ridiculous. Not sure if he was fined or not though. 

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/man-faces-9000-fine-for-using-a-drone-to-pick-up-a-bunnings-sausage-20161109-gsl3q2.html

CASA spokesperson Peter Gibson said the incident potentially breached a number of drone regulations and may lead to a $9000 fine.

Breaches included use of a drone within 30 metres of people, use out of the line of sight and use over a populous area.

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, trevor borocz johnson said:

I feel like a Robotic Drone Delivery Service would be highly beneficial. For one thing the drones would be up in the sky, limiting the number of accidents with pedestrians unlike robot cars or even normal cars. They would probably be more efficient in weight not having to carry a frame to support weight of people or chairs. Travelling through the air would save on friction losses as it would almost be like a boat. They would also travel in a straight line reducing total distance you would normally have to travel. I think I would definitely pay for a commercial robot drone to pick up groceries and dinner etc. would you?

It will not work on the big scale for various reasons.

• air space regulations in a lot of countries would not allow operation of drones within cities. For example, in my home country its not allowed to operate drones out of the field of view of the operator
  • The insurance costs for deliver drones would be quite high, making the delivery costs not competitive
  • Very limited payload of the drones, making multiple deliveries above 2-4 per flight imposible, resuting into high operational costs per delivery
  • Lots of questions about liability of the operator in general
  • Most important point: environmental issues. Such drones are not "green" in any kind. In a city with, lets say, 2M citizens, how may parcels could be moved by drones per day? 5k, 10k, more? That would be a huge additional air trafic, resulting into an increase of noise pollution wich is unacceptable
  • And last but not least: drone piracy will come up, especially on air routes to remote locations
  • Like 1