Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Powerful space explosion May 7th

Professor123itsme

Anyone have any thoughts on the images caught by HI1 ahead stereo (Solar Terrestrial Relations Observatory )

what was it?

estimated size

potential debris fields

estimated time of effects

i will try to have a video up shortly

• Like 5

Before I panic, run around in circles and tell others the sky is falling....

What explosion?  Where was it, near the Sun/Earth?  In what images?  Are you aware of how HI1 works (ie, usually at very low light levels) and what area it is showing?  Did you check the NASA sites or any of the other (many) solar observation systems, or email NASA?

The reason I ask all those questions is that a quick Google shows no-one else up in arms about anything Stereo/HI1 related for the 7 May (or 6 May or 8 May).

Methinks you might be misconstruing what you are seeing, and that is quite forgivable if you aren't a Stereo enthusiast who has watched hours and hours of images to understand what it is capturing.  I'll happily admit I ain't an HI1 expert, either, but I can probably become one if you point out exactly what you have found..  Why not just get a screengrab (PrtSc), paste that into your favorite image editor (Paint will do..) crop it and save it as a jpeg,  then you can post it here.

• Like 4

thanks @ChrLzs I am curious but don't know enough about this to ask sanely :) 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Professor123itsme said:

Anyone have any thoughts on the images caught by HI1 ahead stereo (Solar Terrestrial Relations Observatory )

what was it?

estimated size

potential debris fields

This post seems to  me like something that would come out of a South Park episode, mackay

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, godnodog said:

This post seems to  me like something that would come out of a South Park episode, mackay

I resemble that remark!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Piney said:

I resemble that remark!

I was wondering if the poster is Bruce Buffer? Iiiiiiittttssss time.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Professor123itsme said:

what was it?

estimated size

potential debris fields

Hello and welcome to UM.

You seem to be referring to this?

On May 7, 2018 a huge explosion followed by an unprecedented shock wave was captured by the cameras of the space-based observatory, as if some kind of planet had exploded.

http://strangesounds.org/2018/05/powerful-space-explosion-shock-wave-solar-system-sun-video.html

• Thanks 3

43 minutes ago, danydandan said:

I was wondering if the poster is Bruce Buffer? Iiiiiiittttssss time.

Haha I totally read that in his voice 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Still Waters said:

On May 7, 2018 a huge explosion followed by an unprecedented shock wave was captured by the cameras of the space-based observatory, as if some kind of planet had exploded.

http://strangesounds.org/2018/05/powerful-space-explosion-shock-wave-solar-system-sun-video.html

as if some kind of planet had exploded in the solar system

Sounds probable :yes: 

• Haha 2

So what did explode in our solar system with such a violence? A huge asteroid impact? A planet explosion? Some kind of meteor/ comet impacting a planet? Or maybe an alien spaceship being destroyed before approaching our Planet?

:geek:

• Haha 1

That's obviously what all these trumpet sky sounds were - planet Nibiru exploding, having been shot down by the Death Star before the Nibblers could come and pinch all our gold again!   Hurrah!   :clap:  :su:sk

(No-one would have seen it from Earth on account of Nibiru hiding behind the Sun, invisible to the naked eye, and only occasionally being visible on obscure, remote, webcams)

Least we know it won't be colliding with us and killing billions of people again, like it did in 1999, 2000, 2003, 2012 and numerous other occasions in the past few years!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Ah, OK...  A nicer version (1Mb MPG) can be downloaded here:

http://www.ukssdc.ac.uk/solar/stereo/movies/MOVIES/2018/05_May/Daily/07/20180507_hi1a_1_25_m5.mpg

..here's a screen grab:
StereoHi1_snapshot_20180507.jpg.03555e537f87193f6ad1ab6f854470aa.jpg

Cool!  I'll be back - as I said I'm no Stereo HI1 expert.. about all I can say is that I think that may be Earth, Sun out of shot at left and .. well, we didn't explode on 7 May.. so I'd suggest it's an optical effect or some sort of Van Allen Belt - related outflow.   Any HI1 experts here who can beat me to it?

Edited by ChrLzs

Has anyone checked the validity of the reports? I can't find a news item on the website for stero NASA considering this is an extremely rare event, you'd think it would at least be a news item, however their news feed hasn't been updated since March? I think it's not genuine, but I could be wrong.

Edited by danydandan
  • Like 1

There's no 'report' - it's just that someone stumbled onto some NASA imagery and made a whole pile of claims...  And I suspect that it isn't a rare event at all, but until I do some decent investimagating....

The 'video' (which is an animation of several still frames, each frame possibly being a 10-50 second time exposure, I believe) *is* genuine, and does seem to show an interesting effect, but I'm tempted to think it is just a lens flare.  This camera works at very low light levels and probably only in a selected frequency band, so the brightness of the 'thing' is not indicative of it's true brightness.  And some of the SOHO/Stereo cameras are well-known for lens flares as 'bright' objects move through the field of view.  I haven't had time to do the required homework yet, but I have taken the obvious step of sending an email to NASA to politely ask about it.

I'm reasonably sure that the planet is earth, and I for one didn't even notice when we 'exploded' 11 days ago.... so I think it's nothing to get too worried about.

Edited by ChrLzs
  • Thanks 1

OK, sorry, doomsdayers...  It really IS a lens flare.  My investigation is not fully complete, but I can say with 99.9% surety that this strange effect is just a lens flare.  I started browsing back through old HI1 movies to see when the bright object (Earth?) was roughly in the same position in the frame, and hey presto:
StereoHi1_snapshot_20170224.jpg.229b4bcf91c802852c8986fb42e80ae8.jpg

This image shows a very, very similar effect, but way back in Feb 2017...  If you watch the movie, it shows the reverse effect as shown in the more recent one, as back then earth was moving INto the frame.  So it MUST be a lens flare, not an explosion/outflow...

I won't link to the movie directly as it is a 20Mb download, but it can be found here - it's the very first MPG file:

https://www.ukssdc.ac.uk/solar/stereo/movies/MOVIES/2017/02_February/

For anyone familiar with cameras, you will see it has all the hallmarks of a lens flare, and matches (in reverse) the OP one almost perfectly.

So, OP, would you care to comment?  And do you think that next time it might be worth investigating (or at least *asking*..) before claiming it is a 'powerful space explosion'?

*Added PS* - Isn't it amazing that we have these cameras way out in space watching our Sun?  That spacecraft has been carefully positioned millions of kilometers away from us, and shows us the corona/flares/etc from the Sun, and also the passing parade of planets, inc. Earth, as they move past.  If you are interested at all, then download that 20Mb movie and watch it - it is quite a beautiful thing to watch, especially when you consider the effort NASA put in to make it happen.

The SOHO and Stereo spacecraft are probably my second favorite NASA achievement, after Apollo.  Sadly, it looks like Stereo B, which does the same thing as Stereo A but from way over the other side, looks like it may have died, but these spacecraft - like almost all of NASA's creations do - have long outlived their original planned lives.  So I think NASA does an extraordinary job with this sort of stuff.   

Edited by ChrLzs
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Here is 3 days May 7th-10th, this was several day event,

so what was is

20180507_232901_s4h1A.jpg

20180508_012901_s4h1A.jpg

20180508_104700_s4h1A.jpg

20180508_121700_s4h1A.jpg

20180508_134700_s4h1A.jpg

20180508_144700_s4h1A.jpg

20180509_012901_s4h1A.jpg

20180510_000901_s4h1A.jpg

Whatever you do, do NOT read the responses to the thread, Prof..

{{sighs wearily and leaves...}

• Like 1