Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mystery rise in ozone-depleting CFC detected

UM-Bot

It is unbelievable that someone would continue to produce something that could be so detrimental to earth's survival. But greed, lack of empathy, or a dozen other reason's overrule the word "unbelievable."

• Like 1

There must be millions of ancient refrigerators and air conditioning units in East Asia that are just thrown in landfill to leak their CFC's into the atmosphere.

CFCs eventually decompose naturally, but it's a slow process.  We'll need some research to trace the source of these new CFCs.  In the meantime, it's too early to panic.

Doug

C'mon, we all know it's Donny Trump's secret hair spray factory. ;)

Edited by Seti42
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well, at least the World at-large recognizes the dangers to our Ozone of unabated release of certain chemicals into our air.

Not perfect, but a good start and effort.

_(looks up from spraying Digby the Biggest Dog in the World with giant hairspray)_

I consider the eradication of CFCs one of the great triumphs of mankind working together to solve a problem. I remember all the outcry about how it would devastate the economy, disrupt manufacturing and cause cthulhu to rise. There was much gnashing and wailing and none of it came to pass. It should have been a lesson to us about how industry tries to debunk science so they can continue their destructive practices ... nope.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I do air conditioning work. When I first started out, in the late 1970's and the early 1980's, We thought nothing of just letting refrigerants out into the atmosphere,because They didn't know about ozone depletion back then. When a compressor got hot and cut off on thermal overload, We would turn the bottle of R-22 upside down (to get liquid refrigerant) and spray the compressor with it until it cooled down.I'm sorry now that I did that, but back then We didn't know any better. I feel like far East countries like China may be responsible for the release of CFC's, because They don't seem to be very concerned about polluting the Earth in both this and other ways.

It almost seems as if people have read this and they're taking it literally.

The bird fights its way out of the egg. The egg is the world. Who would be born must first destroy a world.