Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Vegan Ad Gets Banned.

danydandan

The Vegan group Viva recently got an advertisement banned for false and misleading claims in the UK. Here in Ireland we are subjected to the same aggressive Vegan advertising.

https://m.independent.ie/business/farming/news/farming-news/vegan-groups-advert-wrongly-linking-cows-milk-to-cancer-gets-uk-ban-36915952.html

• Like 1

damn right, bloody Vegans coming over here, taking our jobs...

Edited by Torchwood
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, danydandan said:

The Vegan group Viva recently got an advertisement banned for false and misleading claims in the UK. Here in Ireland we are subjected to the same aggressive Vegan advertising.

https://m.independent.ie/business/farming/news/farming-news/vegan-groups-advert-wrongly-linking-cows-milk-to-cancer-gets-uk-ban-36915952.html

There are some rabid ones in my Quaker Quarter with their bogus health information. Humans need meat and dairy to maintain a healthy microbiome and body. Hopefully these crackpots will Darwin themselves out.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, danydandan said:

IDK that ad was hardly aggressive or controversial. If this were a story in America I would say following the money would lead you to why this ad was pulled. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

IDK that ad was hardly aggressive or controversial. If this were a story in America I would say following the money would lead you to why this ad was pulled. 

It's misleading and false.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, danydandan said:

It's misleading and false.

No its not. Did you even read the article you posted? The ruling agency themselves had to work awfully hard to come to that "conclusion" although their own words indicate they don't actually believe it. 

An ASA spokesman said: "While the claim stated that some hormones in cow's milk were "linked" to cancer rather than definitively stating that they caused cancer, we considered that consumers would nonetheless interpret it to mean that because of the hormones that were present in cow's milk, drinking cow's milk could increase a person's risk of developing cancer.

"We considered that the various sources provided by Viva! constituted adequate evidence that over 35 hormones were present in cow's milk.

"However, we were concerned that the studies were unable to account for confounding factors which could affect the results.

"We also noted that the papers referred to other conflicting evidence and all noted the need for additional studies to confirm their findings.

They don't even deny that the hormones in cows milk are linked to cancer, as the bolded shows their whole position is one of protecting an industry rather than that the ad itself was actually misleading . Like I said I would suggest following the money on this one. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

The other quotes said "most cows are pregnant when milking"  "their calves are taken" which is bullcrap. My stepmother owns a cattle ranch.

• Like 1

@Farmer77  The naturally occurring hormones are not linked to anything. It's the added ones

......need coffee.....

1 minute ago, Piney said:

The other quotes said "most cows are pregnant when milking"  "their calves are taken" which is bullcrap. My stepmother owns a cattle ranch.

That wasn't what the ad was banned for though, no one challenged those claims, just the cancer link. 

But If cows are pregnant for 9 months, and cows must get pregnant to produce milk, wouldn't that just mathematically mean that most cows are pregnant while milking? 

1 minute ago, Farmer77 said:

That wasn't what the ad was banned for though, no one challenged those claims, just the cancer link. 

But If cows are pregnant for 9 months, and cows must get pregnant to produce milk, wouldn't that just mathematically mean that most cows are pregnant while milking? 

Milking cows don't need to be pregnant and the naturally occurring hormones are not linked to cancer. Just the added ones.

• Like 1

@Farmer77  The naturally occurring hormones are not linked to anything. It's the added ones

......need coffee.....

Nah man estrogen itself is carcinogenic to an extent 

Feds Label Estrogen a ‘Known Carcinogen’ 

• Like 1

Milking cows don't need to be pregnant and the naturally occurring hormones are not linked to cancer. Just the added ones.

I think we're probably close to the same page on this one. Stay natural, stay renewable, stay clean and farming is all good. Its when you start messing with things or treating the animals poorly that we all start to suffer. 

The only reason I'm really posting on this is after reading about how the milk industry is trying to sneak aspartame into milk without having to label it my radar is up for shenanigans from them. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

No its not. Did you even read the article you posted? The ruling agency themselves had to work awfully hard to come to that "conclusion" although their own words indicate they don't actually believe it. 

They don't even deny that the hormones in cows milk are linked to cancer, as the bolded shows their whole position is one of protecting an industry rather than that the ad itself was actually misleading . Like I said I would suggest following the money on this one. 

Of course I read it. It's the wording that miss leading as there is no evidence to state unequivocally that any of the hormones cause cancer. Starting matter of factly that they do is misleading and I agree with your protection if industry point.

What they should have said it that the hormones may cause cancer, not that they will.

It is a complex argument, as studies suggest that they do and some studies suggest they don't.

https://m.canceractive.com/cancer-active-page-link.aspx?n=3560&title=Cows-milk-and-cancer-risk

• Like 2

Just now, Farmer77 said:

I think we're probably close to the same page on this one. Stay natural, stay renewable, stay clean and farming is all good. Its when you start messing with things or treating the animals poorly that we all start to suffer. 

The only reason I'm really posting on this is after reading about how the milk industry is trying to sneak aspartame into milk without having to label it my radar is up for shenanigans from them. 

I only buy local milk (Heritages) who are my backdoor Quaker cousins. I won't drink that grocery store dreck. :tu:

3 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

Do you agree with the usage of genetically modified crops?

Why the hell would anyone put aspartame in milk? But there was a study in the UK showing it has no adverse effects.

https://www.bmj.com/content/329/7469/755/rapid-responses

Edited by danydandan

It's not the GMO crops in themselves but the 24D  Montsano coats the seeds with that get you.

• Like 1

Yes and no. 

Theoretically I absolutely do. They have the power to do wonderful things for the 3rd world nations and lets be honest largely GMO organisms are really just a fast forward version of what some hero of mine did to make the Jack Herer Strain so I cant totally hate the concept LOL 

In practice though I absolutely do not. Humans suck, we're greedy and lazy and we will find a way to **** everything up by playing god on fast forward. Having companies with their own armies owning so many GMO patents is probably the "heres your sign" moment that we already have, IMO . 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Farmer77 said:

Yes and no. 

Theoretically I absolutely do. They have the power to do wonderful things for the 3rd world nations and lets be honest largely GMO organisms are really just a fast forward version of what some hero of mine did to make the Jack Herer Strain so I cant totally hate the concept LOL 

In practice though I absolutely do not. Humans suck, we're greedy and lazy and we will find a way to **** everything up by playing god on fast forward. Having companies with their own armies owning so many GMO patents is probably the "heres your sign" moment that we already have, IMO . 

My friend, Dr. Rutledge Ellis-Benke developed the single ear, drought resistant corn which saved a lot of lives in Africa. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, danydandan said:

Why the hell would anyone put aspartame in milk? But there was a study in the UK showing it has no adverse effects.

https://www.bmj.com/content/329/7469/755/rapid-responses

They never did a real study on it's adverse effects on the microbiome. Some researchers think there is one and that it damages the digestive system.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Piney said:

They never did a real study on it's adverse effects on the microbiome. Some researchers think there is one and that it damages the digestive system.

Are they currently doing one ?

I suppose even if it has a one percent chance of it causing even one person harm it should not be on the market. In my opinion.

Edited by danydandan
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, danydandan said:

Why the hell would anyone put aspartame in milk?

To sweeten it so people will drink more of it. I understand the science is out on aspartame (although i personally avoid it) but my larger problem is their efforts to keep its addition a secret. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

To sweeten it so people will drink more of it. I understand the science is out on aspartame (although i personally avoid it) but my larger problem is their efforts to keep its addition a secret. 

Thankfully most of our milk in Ireland is local and thus kinda stuff doesn't happen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, danydandan said:

Thankfully most of our milk in Ireland is local and thus kinda stuff doesn't happen.

Weirdly I wonder about that kind of stuff, I appreciate the info.....OK so while I'm showing my stupidity, what volume do you buy milk in? Pint, Gallon etc? 

If you don't mind me asking that is. Guess its a little weird some random dude just started quizzing you like youre the tourism board. 

Edited by Farmer77
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

Weirdly I wonder about that kind of stuff, I appreciate the info.....OK so while I'm showing my stupidity, what volume do you buy milk in? Pint, Gallon etc? 

I used to do alot of work, in the waste output water analysis from creameries in Ireland fir the EPA here. Some of the chemicals used would make you wonder, but never seen aspartame on any chemical analyses.

Usually milk is by litre.

Interestingly you see what that waste water did to the anslysers.

Edited by danydandan
  • Thanks 2