Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Vegan Ad Gets Banned.

danydandan

52 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

That wasn't what the ad was banned for though, no one challenged those claims, just the cancer link. 

But If cows are pregnant for 9 months, and cows must get pregnant to produce milk, wouldn't that just mathematically mean that most cows are pregnant while milking? 

Most dairy cows are milked during the earlier months of pregnancy. Typically a dairy cow is "dry" for the last couple months of pregnancy, though sometimes there will be a cow that is dry for longer and sometimes some cows don't go dry at all.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, danydandan said:

I used to do alot of work, in the waste output water analysis from creameries in Ireland fir the EPA here. Some of the chemicals used would make you wonder, but never seen aspartame on any chemical analyses.

Usually milk is by litre.

Interestingly you see what that waste water did to the anslysers.

I never drank low fat milk because it's "tank wash". Basically the chlorinated water they pump into the agitator to clean it. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, danydandan said:

The Vegan group Viva recently got an advertisement banned for false and misleading claims in the UK. Here in Ireland we are subjected to the same aggressive Vegan advertising.

https://m.independent.ie/business/farming/news/farming-news/vegan-groups-advert-wrongly-linking-cows-milk-to-cancer-gets-uk-ban-36915952.html

Fight fire with fire!:lol:

untitled.png

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, rashore said:

Most dairy cows are milked during the earlier months of pregnancy. Typically a dairy cow is "dry" for the last couple months of pregnancy, though sometimes there will be a cow that is dry for longer and sometimes some cows don't go dry at all.

We had 3 dairy cows. We never bred them. They rarely went dry.  We bred Black Angus for beef but never had a large herd because we were going for quality, not quantity. We also bred goats for meat and dairy. The goat milk was for cheese at the exchange in Brewster. We drank the milk but never sold it. 

5 hours ago, Piney said:

There are some rabid ones in my Quaker Quarter with their bogus health information. Humans need meat and dairy to maintain a healthy microbiome and body. Hopefully these crackpots will Darwin themselves out.

Bolded: I'm amazed that anybody still makes this claim when it's blatantly not true.

4 hours ago, Piney said:

The other quotes said "most cows are pregnant when milking"  "their calves are taken" which is bullcrap. My stepmother owns a cattle ranch.

That's what happens in the U.K.

4 hours ago, Farmer77 said:

To sweeten it so people will drink more of it. I understand the science is out on aspartame (although i personally avoid it) but my larger problem is their efforts to keep its addition a secret. 

If nothing else, aspartame causes diarrhoea(after quite a small amount).

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

Bolded: I'm amazed that anybody still makes this claim when it's blatantly not true.

Link? Source? 

43 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

I suffered a "microbiome collapse" my last year in prison. What is known as "Indian Fever" I couldn't hold food got sick as a dog and my weight went down to 94lbs. Luckily I had a old fashion doctor that was anti-meds. He put me on a almost completely meat and dairy diet rather than give me immune system suppressants and protein shakes. It restored my health. 

9 hours ago, Piney said:

Humans need meat and dairy to maintain a healthy microbiome and body.

Can you translate into English? Or maybe a link?

Admittedly, I know next to nothing about the pros/cons of a vegetarian diet but I generally assume one could live a decent life if they went about it carefully. I seriously doubt you'd have any physical prowess but in terms of daily life I would think it's not terribly bad.

Theres gotta be a study somewhere on this? Lifespan and general health?

3 hours ago, Piney said:

We had 3 dairy cows. We never bred them. They rarely went dry.  We bred Black Angus for beef but never had a large herd because we were going for quality, not quantity. We also bred goats for meat and dairy. The goat milk was for cheese at the exchange in Brewster. We drank the milk but never sold it. 

How did you manage to get cows to produce milk in the first place if you never bred them? A heifer needs to have at least a first pregnancy or two to start the process of being a dairy cow. Although I am aware of the action of giving heifers hormones to stimulate the lactation process, and that it can work to some extent in the males in bovines, and goats too.

It sounds like we are on different sides of moo... you had beef cattle and a couple dairy cows. I grew up in dairy cow country and family, and sometimes folks kept a male calf or two to raise for beef instead of culling them down young. A great amount of the veal produced is from culled males from dairy herds.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Piney said:

Link? Source? 

No link, no source, just 50yrs of being around vegans, all of whom were/are very healthy. A typical example: one friend has been vegan for more than 50yrs and the only illnesses he has had have been a blocked salivary gland; a thyroid problem caused by eating large amounts of cabbage every day :lol: and recently a hip replacement(he's 68), caused, I imagine, by the incredible amount of walking and cycling he's done all through his life. He did karate for many years and reached quite a high level.

I'm guessing, of course, but I am pretty sure that there is a vastly higher percentage of ill carnivores than vegans.   

4 hours ago, Piney said:

I suffered a "microbiome collapse" my last year in prison. What is known as "Indian Fever" I couldn't hold food got sick as a dog and my weight went down to 94lbs. Luckily I had a old fashion doctor that was anti-meds. He put me on a almost completely meat and dairy diet rather than give me immune system suppressants and protein shakes. It restored my health. 

I don't think it's safe to make assumptions about the millions of vegans in the world based on this single experience of yours. 

1 hour ago, internetperson said:

I seriously doubt you'd have any physical prowess but in terms of daily life I would think it's not terribly bad.

My experience has been that veganism is not  an inhibitor of physical strength, on the contrary, it appears to generate vitality and stamina. I also know of a young vegan man who has competed in several Iron Man competitions and triathlons. Try Googling 'elite athletes who are vegan'.

The Viva! advert which wrongly linked cow's milk to cancer

• Like 1

2 hours ago, internetperson said:

Can you translate into English? Or maybe a link?

Admittedly, I know next to nothing about the pros/cons of a vegetarian diet but I generally assume one could live a decent life if they went about it carefully. I seriously doubt you'd have any physical prowess but in terms of daily life I would think it's not terribly bad.

Theres gotta be a study somewhere on this? Lifespan and general health?

It was a ScienceDaily article. I'd have to dig it up. 

2 hours ago, rashore said:

How did you manage to get cows to produce milk in the first place if you never bred them? A heifer needs to have at least a first pregnancy or two to start the process of being a dairy cow. Although I am aware of the action of giving heifers hormones to stimulate the lactation process, and that it can work to some extent in the males in bovines, and goats too.

It sounds like we are on different sides of moo... you had beef cattle and a couple dairy cows. I grew up in dairy cow country and family, and sometimes folks kept a male calf or two to raise for beef instead of culling them down young. A great amount of the veal produced is from culled males from dairy herds.

:lol: I just don't ever remember them being pregnant. But mom didn't buy them young. As for the Angus, we had one bull and I would have to put the male calfs in the trailer and reach down on the other side of the door......and you know from there....but we never ate those things, I just threw them over my shoulder.:lol:

10 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

No link, no source, just 50yrs of being around vegans, all of whom were/are very healthy. A typical example: one friend has been vegan for more than 50yrs and the only illnesses he has had have been a blocked salivary gland; a thyroid problem caused by eating large amounts of cabbage every day :lol: and recently a hip replacement(he's 68), caused, I imagine, by the incredible amount of walking and cycling he's done all through his life. He did karate for many years and reached quite a high level.

I don't think it's safe to make assumptions about the millions of vegans in the world based on this single experience of yours. 

Well, my tribe did stay hunter-gatherer until contact (except for rice) and our diets were 80% meat. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Piney said:

Well, my tribe did stay hunter-gatherer until contact (except for rice) and our diets were 80% meat. 

The Maasai could sympathize with this. They ate primarily raw meat, drank milk and blood. Were the most physically fit folks on the planet.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, internetperson said:

The Maasai could sympathize with this. They ate primarily raw meat, drank milk and blood. Were the most physically fit folks on the planet.

Algonquians are skeeved by raw or even undercooked meat. That was a Siouian thing.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

I'm guessing, of course, but I am pretty sure that there is a vastly higher percentage of ill carnivores than vegans.   

My experience has been that veganism is not  an inhibitor of physical strength, on the contrary, it appears to generate vitality and stamina. I also know of a young vegan man who has competed in several Iron Man competitions and triathlons. Try Googling 'elite athletes who are vegan'.

Coorelation does not mean causation though. 

A large amount of excersise and laying off the sweets will make anyone pretty healthy. Vegans are probably pretty health focused so they do the thing above where as meat eating is the normal so alot of normal people don't really excersise or watch the sweets much.

I imagine being vegan or not vegan will have little affect as long as you keep a balanced diet excersise and destress often 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, danydandan said:

It's misleading and false.

Yeah, this is America, though.

We don't censor fake stuff.

Rich people throw money at it, and we end up with Faux News. 

5 hours ago, ChaosRose said:

Yeah, this is America, though.

We don't censor fake stuff.

Rich people throw money at it, and we end up with Faux News. 

Yeah it's great to be Irish lol.

Best thing here is homeopathic products have to state unequivocally that their products are not supported by scientific research.

13 hours ago, Piney said:

Ahhh the prison diet. A shitton of carbs and as little protein as legally allowable makes for a tired and fluffy population 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Farmer77 said:

Ahhh the prison diet. A shitton of carbs and as little protein as legally allowable makes for a tired and fluffy population 

They loved the pizza and what we called the "crazy burgers" and those wretched hotdogs and hated the fish so I would trade my pizza, burgers and hotdogs for fish then on Friday I had a shitton of fish. Since I was a "power pro" which was a inmate work supervisor I would trade cleaning supplies for the fish too. I also bought canned chicken and tuna from the canteen too. I can't even look at tuna now. eccch! :lol:  I couldn't drink the milk either and couldn't get the eggs past my nose. 

My prison diet was basically tuna and chicken 6 days a week eaten directly from the package.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Piney said:

My prison diet was basically tuna and chicken 6 days a week eaten directly from the package.

Man when I was a CO we didn't even offer that in the commissary, it was intentional strategy from administration to keep inmates weak.  Ramen noodles was as good as it got, that **** was the the food of kings, people would kill over those things. 

• Like 1

Just now, Farmer77 said:

Man when I was a CO we didn't even offer that in the commissary, it was intentional strategy from administration to keep inmates weak.  Ramen noodles was as good as it got, that **** was the the food of kings, people would kill over those things. 

I bought loads of them. They ate them like chips and even made a giant "sushi" roll out of them called "fumunga". Those things were my cash. 

Southwoods was a "factory" prison where they processed the food, printed the books and made the browns for the other prisons. They needed to keep them somewhat moving. It was a city in itself. Your typical private enterprise.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Piney said:

Your typical private enterprise.

Makes my skin crawl. 

• Like 1

Just now, Farmer77 said:

Makes my skin crawl. 

Trenton State was a horror story. Decrepit and bloody. It was right out of the movie "Saw". But Southwoods was futuristic as all hell but there were areas they didn't have cameras ( probably on purpose) where we could "square off". As long as we didn't touch the COs or staff they turned a blind eye, then the A-men and nurses dragged the loser away.

1 minute ago, Piney said:

Trenton State was a horror story. Decrepit and bloody. It was right out of the movie "Saw". But Southwoods was futuristic as all hell but there were areas they didn't have cameras ( probably on purpose) where we could "square off". As long as we didn't touch the COs or staff they turned a blind eye, then the A-men and nurses dragged the loser away.

I find the entire concept of making a profit off of incarcerating someone and making them work to be just a little too unfreedomish for my liking. 

Honestly it's smart for them to have the unmonitored areas for inmates to blow off steam. Kinda like earthquakes, the little ones can keep the larger ones from happening. 

We didn't operate like that. Even fights between 2 inmates insured everyone was locked down and the entire "blue train of pain" was coming. Truthfully the native population kept things pretty mellow where I was in AK. They were almost to a man quiet and respectful to everyone and by strategically interspersing them throughout the mods they seemed to spread that demeanor. 

I was lured out of corrections and back into my career field by an exciting contract and that is one of my largest regrets in life. Sure I was a part time inmate and the job ate at my soul (awfully hard to see things in black and white when you're seeing them up close and personal) but damn that government insurance and retirement would be nice. 

• Like 1