Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Contort Adam and Eve

Opus Magnus

From the same article:

"So does the new study show that there was no war between the Israelites and the Canaanites? Not necessarily, says Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute geneticist Chris Tyler-Smith, who worked with Haber. Genes don’t always track conflict. You can have genetically similar or indistinguishable populations that are culturally very different and don’t get on with one another at all,” Tyler-Smith says. This might have been the case with the Israelites and the Canaanites—similar genes, but sworn enemies.

“If those populations conquer each other, it probably wouldn’t leave traces that we could easily pick up [with ancient DNA],” agrees Johannes Krause, a geneticist at the Max Planck Institute for the Science of Human History in Jena, Germany, who wasn’t involved in the current work. Perhaps there was a Biblical war that ancient DNA simply cannot see.

Update, 12:00 p.m., 28 July: This story and its headline have been updated to reflect that in the Bible, God ordered the destruction of the Canaanites, but that some cities and people may have survived."

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Opus Magnus said:

Judges 3:1 says the Canaanites were never wiped out totally.

Numbers 21:3 And the Lord hearkened to the voice of Israel, and delivered up the Canaanites; and they utterly destroyed them and their cities: and he called the name of the place Hormah. Utterly destroyed means annihilated.

Deuteronomy 20:16 - 18. However, in the cities of the nations the Lord your God is giving you as an inheritance, do not leave alive anything that breathes. 17 Completely destroy[a] them—the Hittites, Amorites, Canaanites, Perizzites, Hivites and Jebusites—as the Lord your God has commanded you. 18 Otherwise, they will teach you to follow all the detestable things they do in worshiping their gods, and you will sin against the Lord your God. God commanded them to be annihilated. So was the commandments carried out.

The quotes you posted and the ones I posted, along with scientific evidence shows that a, numbers is incorrect as evidence has been established that Canaanites did survive. B, that even God can't utterly destroy them and C, numbers is condrictory to your quotes you provided. If anything all this does is reafirm my point that the Bible is condrictory, incorrect and should not be taken literally.

Edited by danydandan
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, danydandan said:

Numbers 21:3 And the Lord hearkened to the voice of Israel, and delivered up the Canaanites; and they utterly destroyed them and their cities: and he called the name of the place Hormah. Utterly destroyed means annihilated.

Deuteronomy 20:16 - 18. However, in the cities of the nations the Lord your God is giving you as an inheritance, do not leave alive anything that breathes. 17 Completely destroy[a] them—the Hittites, Amorites, Canaanites, Perizzites, Hivites and Jebusites—as the Lord your God has commanded you. 18 Otherwise, they will teach you to follow all the detestable things they do in worshiping their gods, and you will sin against the Lord your God. God commanded them to be annihilated. So was the commandments carried out.

The quotes you posted and the ones I posted, along with scientific evidence shows that a, numbers is incorrect as evidence has been established that Canaanites did survive. B, that even God can't utterly destroy them and C, numbers is condrictory to your quotes you provided. If anything all this does is reafirm my point that the Bible is condrictory, incorrect and should not be taken literally.

You would have to read it all in order to understand there is a secret message in the Torah, that God intended the Israelites to destroy them, knew they would fail, told them to, and they didn't succeed in totally annhialating them. It's part of the true nature of God, and a syntax he repeats throughout the Old Testament. But the archaeology I linked does confirm what it says in Judges, and it's quite possible you are falling for a trap designed by God for those who would dispute the scripture ignorantly by taking it out of context without reading the whole Torah, and Judges. The Torah is the first 5 books of the Bible.

1 hour ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Magnus

Show me where I have said that I haven't read the bible. I was raised as a Catholic and was an alternative, at that time the mass was in Latin and in later years did go to bible studies so when I say what you are promoting is a fairy tale I am quite serious.

Over the last 10 yrs here I have gleaned a fair bit about archaic hominids and historical movements of genetic groups so as such there is no evidence that man as we know just appeared as a direct creation outside of the documentation of known hominid groups.

jmccr8

Well, I might be mistaken, but I thought it was you and Sherapy who were so rudely arguing with Walker about the book of Job, which I thought you said you didn't read yourself in a thread about last December or so.

48 minutes ago, Opus Magnus said:

Well, I might be mistaken, but I thought it was you and Sherapy who were so rudely arguing with Walker about the book of Job, which I thought you said you didn't read yourself in a thread about last December or so.

Hi Magnus

I have debated several topics with Walker and you are mistaken.

jmccr8

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Opus Magnus said:

You would have to read it all in order to understand there is a secret message in the Torah, that God intended the Israelites to destroy them, knew they would fail, told them to, and they didn't succeed in totally annhialating them. It's part of the true nature of God, and a syntax he repeats throughout the Old Testament. But the archaeology I linked does confirm what it says in Judges, and it's quite possible you are falling for a trap designed by God for those who would dispute the scripture ignorantly by taking it out of context without reading the whole Torah, and Judges. The Torah is the first 5 books of the Bible.

So your saying that the words should not be taken literally and there may be a hidden message in the Torah?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Opus Magnus said:

Definition of intend
transitive verb
1 : to direct the mind on

2 archaic : to proceed on (a course)

3 a : signify, mean
b : to refer to

4 a : to have in mind as a purpose or goal : plan
b : to design for a specified use or future

intransitive verb
archaic : set out, start

Definition of intent
noun
1 a : the act or fact of intending : purpose; especially : the design or purpose to commit a wrongful or criminal act admitted wounding him with intent
b : the state of mind with which an act is done : volition

2 : a usually clearly formulated or planned intention : aim the director's intent

3 a : meaning, significance
b : connotation 3

So if god intended to have the Canaanites annihilated, he had a plan where this was necessary. But he knew the Israelites would fail, so he asked ordered them to do it anyway?
So god is either:
a - incompetent
b - enjoys upsetting his own plans
c - insane
or
d - doesn't exist.

and it's quite possible you are falling for a trap designed by God for those who would dispute the scripture

Along with the "planted" fake dino bones to trick the unbelievers............

:rofl:

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Opus Magnus said:

Well, I might be mistaken, >>SNIP<<

Could be rabbit, could be.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Opus Magnus said:

:mellow: Sorry dude. I don't get it.

Like, why keep it all secret and mysterious? I may just be more of a straight-shooter by nature, but why not just flat out say whatcha gotta say? What benefit is there in keeping your message hidden? It would sure clear up all the confusion that's caused by it if he just told us straight up what he wanted to say.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

You know a thread is getting bad when you have to bring the dictionary into it.

I like to keep it handy. for keeping folk honest. 

... and for sometimes throwing......

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, JMPD1 said:

I like to keep it handy. for keeping folk honest. 

... and for sometimes throwing......

4d5.png

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Aquila King said:

:mellow: Sorry dude. I don't get it.

Like, why keep it all secret and mysterious? I may just be more of a straight-shooter by nature, but why not just flat out say whatcha gotta say? What benefit is there in keeping your message hidden? It would sure clear up all the confusion that's caused by it if he just told us straight up what he wanted to say.

Because you have to actually read the whole chapter or book to understand the undertone of what the actual meaning is. It's like if you take someone on TV, and cut up what they say and manipulate it, you can make it sound like they said just about anything they didn't.

The missing rib and breasts ... I could think of other and more logical presuppositions on where that bone went on Adam ...

~

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Opus Magnus said:

Because you have to actually read the whole chapter or book to understand the undertone of what the actual meaning is. It's like if you take someone on TV, and cut up what they say and manipulate it, you can make it sound like they said just about anything they didn't.

Kind of like what you do when you post a quote from the bible and say it doesn't mean what it says?

• Haha 2