Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

128-year-old woman 'miserable her entire life'

UM-Bot

She was born in the 19 century...that's insane, the stuff she has seen...

• Thanks 1

Living much past age 80 generally sucks. Oh, there are few lucky folks who are ok until close to 90 (but not many). 

I know a guy who just turned 99 and he’s sharper than me at 37. I don’t care about the years, just hope as long as I’m alive it’s a life worth living.

9 minutes ago, moonman said:

So drinking rotten milk makes you live longer? I'll pass.

Lol, not rotten milk... fermented milk. Like kefir. Yogurt, sour cream, and most cheeses are also fermented milk products :tu:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If i knew there was a younger generation who cared about the elderly more than their mobile phones or a government who would not keep upping the retirement age to reap in the taxes or decent care homes if ever i really...really needed one, or i could see peace on the horizon for all mankind, I would not mind living to 128...but as it stands, 70 and i'm outta here.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, seanjo said:

The UK retirement age was set when people rarely made it past 70. The retirement age threshold needs to be reset. My Dad was working into his 70's.

My retirement age has been moved from 65 to 67, I think that is fair, I would still think it was fair if they moved it to 70.

It's one thing working into your 70's if you're doing a light easygoing job that you enjoy, that keeps you active and social.

Not so much if you're still doing backbreaking manual work just to keep paying the bills.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, LV-426 said:

It's one thing working into your 70's if you're doing a light easygoing job that you enjoy, that keeps you active and social.

Not so much if you're still doing backbreaking manual work just to keep paying the bills.

My Father worked in the building industry. His body was a wreck at 50. Another 20 years would have left him incapable of enjoying retirement in any way. 

• Like 4

Just now, seanjo said:

Retraining should be a thing.

The inevitable question then is why should 70 year olds be retraining, when there are young unemployed people out there?

Let people who've worked hard all their lives enjoy retirement while they are still reasonably fit and healthy.

Like I say, it's a different matter if someone actively makes the choice to continue working.

• Like 2

I don't know about anyone else but I have 3 years until my mortgage is payed off. I might do it sooner. And my husband and I will both look at working short weeks after that. Just 3 or 4 days. I might use this time to finish my psyche degree.

You have to make plans and set goals in life if you want the best you can get. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Kismit said:

My Father worked in the building industry. His body was a wreck at 50. Another 20 years would have left him incapable of enjoying retirement in any way. 

But my boss is the complete opposite. He's 73 and still swinging a saw. I'm 49 and in better shape than most 30 year olds. I think environment, diet and stress is what wrecks your body. Not hard work. :tu:

3 hours ago, seanjo said:

70-year-olds should be retiring 60-year-olds or those that can't carry on in their present occupation should be retraining. I've got a pie chart that shows how much we pay in pensions compared to the GDP in this country (UK). If you want to retire early, take out a pension plan...I did.

Early?

Why stop at 70 then, why not keep cracking the whip until 80, 90?

If someone is riddled with arthritis, or a basketcase from years of taking care of the disabled and terminally ill in our failing NHS system, I'm sure they could be retrained for telemarketing?

Meanwhile, we can pay young workers minimum wage as there are ten 70 year olds lining up to take their place on a Mickey Mouse training scheme. Good job the 70 year olds will be working though, as they'll likely still be putting a roof over their kids' heads, as they can't afford to get on the property ladder in this "Great" Britain of ours :rolleyes:

A little pension history for you:

A turbulent history of British pensions, since 1874

My parent's generation got fed a steady diet of BS as the Robert Maxwell's of this world lived in luxury off their backs.

What does your pie chart say about that?

• Like 1

We had an old man like this lady in our community. He finally died last year at the young age of 98. It was a car wreck that finally got him surprising.

Generally speaking, a great deal of life is miserable for the elderly. Now, before everyone goes off on how I shouldn't be so negative, I will add that there are aspects of life that are certainly wonderful (for some lucky old folks). But, as one ages daily living becomes harder and harder. Most people have failing mobility and declining health after age 80. Think about not being able to walk easily, not being able to take your own bath, not even seeing or hearing well let alone being able to drive your car or go anywhere fun. I've seen this dynamic over and over again. Keep in mind most old folks don't drop dead (only a few lucky ones do). No, most old people die slowly until severe health issues finally take them. Don't believe me? Then I strongly suggest you go and visit a few 'elder care centers' or 'nursing homes'....and be sure not to miss the Alzheimer's wing. 

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Lilly said:

Most people have failing mobility and declining health after age 80.

Sometimes before they're 80. My father is this way. :(

My grandfather (the one's who's still alive) has dementia. 

• 2 weeks later...

My travels to Bulgaria in the little isolated towns, and it�s a boltic -20 around winter.
Women at 70-80 were cycling in the snow with big bags of food shopping. I couldn�t believe it! Strong and looking incredible for their age. It�s definitely diet, and a positive mind. The western is so lazy it�s unreal.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/19/2018 at 12:10 PM, Baldylocks said:

I don't know anyone in my family who has made it to their 80s. 

Hi Baldy,

Most of the women in my family live that long unfortunately their husbands didn't fare as well, which was one of the reasons that I have been single for so long. Of course it is for scientific reasons. :lol::whistle:

jmccr8

• Haha 1

On 5/19/2018 at 8:54 AM, seanjo said:

Aye well, that's Communism for ya!

Right. I agree. Communism can make any human being miserable for the rest of their life. But if the story is true I feel bad that she had to live so long in misery. She must of had God in her life to dag on that long without any earthly hope. But anyone to live 128 years on earth, regardless of how their life went for them, deserves respect. I would love to live that long but I have my doubts about seeing 80. My Grandpa died at 79 and my dad at 74. I have long life on my mom's side of the family but not sure how good that will do for me. But whatever card God dealt for me I will play it to His glory. My life hasn't been peaches either. I have suffered many losses in this life. But knowing what I do today I would not take one day of my life back. I trust God that He has placed me in a better position than what I would have ended up had I got my way about life. 

Her daughter passed away of old age and she's still here. That must be so painful to having lost everyone. It's the reason immortality would be a very depressing life. The woman needs to be respected as she's of a grand age.

• Like 1

On 5/19/2018 at 9:45 AM, XenoFish said:

This woman has my deepest sympathies, as I understand how that feels. Maybe soon she'll find peace. 

Poor lady I hope she finds peace soon.