Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
UM-Bot

128-year-old woman 'miserable her entire life'

49 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

strunk64
10 hours ago, XenoFish said:

My grandmother is 99 and my grandfather is 79. Both are widowers.

Oh I love that comment. Think about it. LOL. Can I use that sometime?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Baldylocks

She was born in the 19 century...that's insane, the stuff she has seen...

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lilly

Living much past age 80 generally sucks. Oh, there are few lucky folks who are ok until close to 90 (but not many). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mrknownothing

I know a guy who just turned 99 and he’s sharper than me at 37. I don’t care about the years, just hope as long as I’m alive it’s a life worth living.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
moonman

So drinking rotten milk makes you live longer? I'll pass.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rashore
9 minutes ago, moonman said:

So drinking rotten milk makes you live longer? I'll pass.

Lol, not rotten milk... fermented milk. Like kefir. Yogurt, sour cream, and most cheeses are also fermented milk products :tu:

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
freetoroam

If i knew there was a younger generation who cared about the elderly more than their mobile phones or a government who would not keep upping the retirement age to reap in the taxes or decent care homes if ever i really...really needed one, or i could see peace on the horizon for all mankind, I would not mind living to 128...but as it stands, 70 and i'm outta here.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
seanjo
On 20/05/2018 at 12:54 PM, Lilly said:

Living much past age 80 generally sucks. Oh, there are few lucky folks who are ok until close to 90 (but not many). 

Watching Prince Phillip at 96/97 not long after a hip op gives me some hope life won't be too bad as I head towards 200!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
seanjo
Posted (edited)
On 21/05/2018 at 3:31 PM, freetoroam said:

If i knew there was a younger generation who cared about the elderly more than their mobile phones or a government who would not keep upping the retirement age to reap in the taxes or decent care homes if ever i really...really needed one, or i could see peace on the horizon for all mankind, I would not mind living to 128...but as it stands, 70 and i'm outta here.

The UK retirement age was set when people rarely made it past 70. The retirement age threshold needs to be reset. My Dad was working into his 70's.

My retirement age has been moved from 65 to 67, I think that is fair, I would still think it was fair if they moved it to 70.

Edited by seanjo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LV-426
12 minutes ago, seanjo said:

The UK retirement age was set when people rarely made it past 70. The retirement age threshold needs to be reset. My Dad was working into his 70's.

My retirement age has been moved from 65 to 67, I think that is fair, I would still think it was fair if they moved it to 70.

It's one thing working into your 70's if you're doing a light easygoing job that you enjoy, that keeps you active and social.

Not so much if you're still doing backbreaking manual work just to keep paying the bills.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kismit
12 minutes ago, LV-426 said:

It's one thing working into your 70's if you're doing a light easygoing job that you enjoy, that keeps you active and social.

Not so much if you're still doing backbreaking manual work just to keep paying the bills.

My Father worked in the building industry. His body was a wreck at 50. Another 20 years would have left him incapable of enjoying retirement in any way. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
seanjo
24 minutes ago, LV-426 said:

It's one thing working into your 70's if you're doing a light easygoing job that you enjoy, that keeps you active and social.

Not so much if you're still doing backbreaking manual work just to keep paying the bills.

Retraining should be a thing.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LV-426
Just now, seanjo said:

Retraining should be a thing.

The inevitable question then is why should 70 year olds be retraining, when there are young unemployed people out there?

Let people who've worked hard all their lives enjoy retirement while they are still reasonably fit and healthy.

Like I say, it's a different matter if someone actively makes the choice to continue working.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
seanjo
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, LV-426 said:

The inevitable question then is why should 70 year olds be retraining, when there are young unemployed people out there?

Let people who've worked hard all their lives enjoy retirement while they are still reasonably fit and healthy.

Like I say, it's a different matter if someone actively makes the choice to continue working.

70-year-olds should be retiring 60-year-olds or those that can't carry on in their present occupation should be retraining. I've got a pie chart that shows how much we pay in pensions compared to the GDP in this country (UK). If you want to retire early, take out a pension plan...I did.

 

Edited by seanjo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kismit

I don't know about anyone else but I have 3 years until my mortgage is payed off. I might do it sooner. And my husband and I will both look at working short weeks after that. Just 3 or 4 days. I might use this time to finish my psyche degree.

You have to make plans and set goals in life if you want the best you can get. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Piney
51 minutes ago, Kismit said:

My Father worked in the building industry. His body was a wreck at 50. Another 20 years would have left him incapable of enjoying retirement in any way. 

But my boss is the complete opposite. He's 73 and still swinging a saw. I'm 49 and in better shape than most 30 year olds. I think environment, diet and stress is what wrecks your body. Not hard work. :tu:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LV-426
3 hours ago, seanjo said:

70-year-olds should be retiring 60-year-olds or those that can't carry on in their present occupation should be retraining. I've got a pie chart that shows how much we pay in pensions compared to the GDP in this country (UK). If you want to retire early, take out a pension plan...I did.

Early?

Why stop at 70 then, why not keep cracking the whip until 80, 90?

If someone is riddled with arthritis, or a basketcase from years of taking care of the disabled and terminally ill in our failing NHS system, I'm sure they could be retrained for telemarketing?

Meanwhile, we can pay young workers minimum wage as there are ten 70 year olds lining up to take their place on a Mickey Mouse training scheme. Good job the 70 year olds will be working though, as they'll likely still be putting a roof over their kids' heads, as they can't afford to get on the property ladder in this "Great" Britain of ours :rolleyes:

A little pension history for you:

A turbulent history of British pensions, since 1874

My parent's generation got fed a steady diet of BS as the Robert Maxwell's of this world lived in luxury off their backs.

What does your pie chart say about that?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Narcisse

I have a lot in common with this lady....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
KashSB

We had an old man like this lady in our community. He finally died last year at the young age of 98. It was a car wreck that finally got him surprising.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lilly

Generally speaking, a great deal of life is miserable for the elderly. Now, before everyone goes off on how I shouldn't be so negative, I will add that there are aspects of life that are certainly wonderful (for some lucky old folks). But, as one ages daily living becomes harder and harder. Most people have failing mobility and declining health after age 80. Think about not being able to walk easily, not being able to take your own bath, not even seeing or hearing well let alone being able to drive your car or go anywhere fun. I've seen this dynamic over and over again. Keep in mind most old folks don't drop dead (only a few lucky ones do). No, most old people die slowly until severe health issues finally take them. Don't believe me? Then I strongly suggest you go and visit a few 'elder care centers' or 'nursing homes'....and be sure not to miss the Alzheimer's wing. 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XenoFish
10 minutes ago, Lilly said:

Most people have failing mobility and declining health after age 80.

Sometimes before they're 80. My father is this way. :(

My grandfather (the one's who's still alive) has dementia. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Amir j

My travels to Bulgaria in the little isolated towns, and it�s a boltic -20 around winter.
Women at 70-80 were cycling in the snow with big bags of food shopping. I couldn�t believe it! Strong and looking incredible for their age. It�s definitely diet, and a positive mind. The western is so lazy it�s unreal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jmccr8
On 5/19/2018 at 12:10 PM, Baldylocks said:

I don't know anyone in my family who has made it to their 80s. 

Hi Baldy,

Most of the women in my family live that long unfortunately their husbands didn't fare as well, which was one of the reasons that I have been single for so long. Of course it is for scientific reasons. :lol::whistle:

jmccr8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ploughboy
On 5/19/2018 at 8:54 AM, seanjo said:

Aye well, that's Communism for ya!

Right. I agree. Communism can make any human being miserable for the rest of their life. But if the story is true I feel bad that she had to live so long in misery. She must of had God in her life to dag on that long without any earthly hope. But anyone to live 128 years on earth, regardless of how their life went for them, deserves respect. I would love to live that long but I have my doubts about seeing 80. My Grandpa died at 79 and my dad at 74. I have long life on my mom's side of the family but not sure how good that will do for me. But whatever card God dealt for me I will play it to His glory. My life hasn't been peaches either. I have suffered many losses in this life. But knowing what I do today I would not take one day of my life back. I trust God that He has placed me in a better position than what I would have ended up had I got my way about life. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.