Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Cougar kills mountain biker & injures another

Still Waters

A mountain lion killed one mountain biker and mauled another in Washington state on Saturday when they rode into its territory. State officials later tracked the animal and shot it dead, police said. 

The mountain bikers were riding together down a remote, backwoods trail at 11am local time in an area near North Bend, Washington state, around 30 miles (48 km) east of Seattle, when the they encountered the animal.

In the ensuing attack, the first rider received deep scratches and the other was dragged away by the cougar to its den, King county sheriff spokesman Sergeant Ryan Abbot said.

The 31-year-old survivor rode two miles out of the area and called 911.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/may/19/cougar-kills-mountain-biker-injures-another-washington-state

• Sad 1

And this is why many Americans who live in rural areas really need to be armed. Not only are cougar dangerous (life threatening) but so are bear, elk and moose. 

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Lilly said:

And this is why many Americans who live in rural areas really need to be armed.

And be actually aware of their surroundings. Smart phones and social media has made people both distracted and "sensory retarded". I'm still always shocked at how many people don't notice what is going on around them.

• Like 8

'' State officials later tracked the animal and shot it dead ''

No trial?

Joke aside, it's sad thing when people die but when we get informed and educated about how to behave in wild, where to go and where not to go... We can avoid sad stories like these. And cougar could live it's live under the sun, at least in 'that much' square kilometers that man has designated for it.

• Like 6

Unfortunately, once a wild predator has successfully killed a human it becomes far more likely that it will zero in on humans as potential prey again. 

• Like 3

Thankfully these kinds of cougar attacks are quite rare. Ive read where fatal rattlesnake or bee stings occur more often.

Im curious what exactly happened with this case. Two people can look large, yell and scream and deter a cougar from attacking you.It will run off. The cat must have been stalking and ambushed them.. caught them off guard. Still with two people Im surprised there was a death..its unfortunate.

• Like 2

Even just a little .25 caliber in a fanny pack could have prevented this.  Also, the bear spray may have been effective on the cat.  Not too surprising to me if they didn't see it coming.  Mountain lions are stealthy.....real stealthy.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Piney said:

I'm still always shocked at how many people don't notice what is going on around them.

Driving down a dual carriageway Saturday, outside kane nearest the grass central reservation, chatting to my mate the driver. I asked him, 'did you just see that Celt', he said no. We'd driven right past, a few feet, from a man dressed as an Iron Age warrior complete with spear and shield, strolling uo the central reservation on a sunny Saturday afternoon, and I doubt many noticed him. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, khol said:

Thankfully these kinds of cougar attacks are quite rare. Ive read where fatal rattlesnake or bee stings occur more often.

Im curious what exactly happened with this case. Two people can look large, yell and scream and deter a cougar from attacking you.It will run off. The cat must have been stalking and ambushed them.. caught them off guard. Still with two people Im surprised there was a death..its unfortunate.

A local scoutmaste likes taking his troop on bicycles down to the mill to watch us saw and explain how it works. Even when pedaling they all have their faces in their phones. that's what I think happened with this guy. I also think somebody had previously messed with this cougar. We smell and taste like **** to them.

• Like 2

There's more info in this article:

The two men were riding on a trail in the Cascade Mountain foothills on Saturday when the mountain lion began following them. Authorities said they did everything state guidelines advise: getting off their bikes, making noise and trying to scare the animal away. One even smacked it with his bike, after it charged.

“They did everything they were supposed to do,” Abbott said on Sunday. “But something was wrong with this cougar.”

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/may/20/mountain-bikers-fatal-cougar-attack-washington-state