Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Boy receives threats over meerkat death

Still Waters

A 12-year-old Hungarian boy has received death threats on social media after he inadvertently killed a meerkat that bit his finger at a zoo.

The boy was visiting the Kecskemet zoo in central Hungary when he reached through a fence and was bitten.

He then shook the meerkat so hard to the ground that he broke its back.

News of the death of Zara, who was pregnant, spread after the director of the zoo, Tamás Tokovics, posted a heartfelt description of the incident. It escalated into a big national story.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-44171884

• Sad 4

Of course the dad blames the zoo instead of blaming himself that he did not teach respect to his child. Even so, to theaten a child's life over something like this is way over what  is acceptable.  The way some people act while hiding behind a user name on the internet is worse than how this child acted.

• Like 7

Mr Tokovics also pointed the finger of blame at teachers who are "less and less able to control their pupils" and parents who are "too busy to teach their children respect".

:tu:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I can't imagine hurting such a normally docile animal!

At our zoo you could walk right up to them.

Zoo 013.jpg

• Like 3

she probably was conditioned to expect food from hands and thought his finger was a treat, thanks to prior people breaking the "do not feed" rules.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, .ZZ. said:

I can't imagine hurting such a normally docile animal!

At our zoo you could walk right up to them.

Zoo 013.jpg

Docile? Maybe in a zoo.

Wild meerkats are truly evil!

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, acute said:

Docile? Maybe in a zoo.

Wild meerkats are truly evil!

We are talking about zoo Meerkats.

Right? :huh:

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Not A Rockstar said:

she probably was conditioned to expect food from hands and thought his finger was a treat, thanks to prior people breaking the "do not feed" rules.

Ouch.

• Like 1

At our zoo where I took that photo, we were not separated by any barriers. That's why I was able to get so close. 

All they have is a gate for zoo patrons to walk through, and then we were able to approach them. I kept thinking about how much freedom they gave the meerkats, as well as prairie dogs that lived in harmony with them. :)

40430883760_977c757b15.jpg

• Like 2

When a meerkat sits up like that, he's the guard. He will protect the colony. From the article:

The boy, who was on a visit to the zoo as part of a school outing, is said to have ignored warning signs that meerkats bite before reaching through a fence to get closer to the animals.

Still, making threats like that is crazy. 

Edited by susieice
  • Like 3