Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Newly discovered petroglyphs

Brittanyvt

9 hours ago, kmt_sesh said:

I'm not convinced they're anything, but others gave very good advice about contact archaeological authorities (at a nearby university, for instance). On the off chance they're legit, they need to be registered and protected.

I double checked the motifs while at Rowan yesterday. They look legit. A lot of BLM land is "uncharted" from a archaeology point. There are too many resources out there to rape so conservation is discouraged.  If you saw some of the Fremont Culture sites that no longer exist in Utah (I'm talking almost complete villages) you would be sickened. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Had a little time to spend on tweaking the image to get better details out of the image, best I can do is with the area in the middle, the lower left corner is bit too fuzzy to do anything with, if I can get a better quality file I might be able to draw some out a better contrast of the glyphs.

~

original_cr.png.e72010729c4efeb58291f18bea97bcc9.png

~

I'm working with the color temp of my monitor settings, so if its too dark on your screen just load it with any image viewer and twiddle with the contrast ...

~

Edited by third_eye
sleepy and tired ...
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

21 hours ago, Brittanyvt said:

Approximately 2 miles from a road or trail, we stumbled upon a tucked away wall of petroglyphs in the Valley of Fire, NV.  Because of upload size limitations, this is only a screenshot from a short mp4.  One petroglyph seems to depict a shonisaurus.  Any ideas what the others depict?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1E14U6o4_WbNaZ68HX7Fx2UNMR_3-Lu6R/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1utrhuZ2v28FLCNs5qXPontxFBKXI_yOi/view?usp=drivesdk

rsz_20180520_111925.jpg

Here is a link to the 11 second Video.  I had planned on returning on the trek back (which I was unable).  The video may seem hurried, but it's all i have, unfortunately.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lpbt1HKzPs0DZ5uqd-e_velkIBDdZntp/view?usp=drivesdk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A Vid capture image wont help much ... sorry

~

18 minutes ago, Brittanyvt said:

Here is a link to the 11 second Video.  I had planned on returning on the trek back (which I was unable).  The video may seem hurried, but it's all i have, unfortunately.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lpbt1HKzPs0DZ5uqd-e_velkIBDdZntp/view?usp=drivesdk

Can you get a trained archeologist to have a look. Seems there is more in the video, but we do not know if they are recent or old? All will depend on the rock and weather...as they are outside in the open, time and weather conditions could wear them away, hence they need testing to actually see how old they are and if they are fossils or something completely different. 

Note..they are exposed...what is the climate and its history there?

0.7 in the video...that was not in the original pictures and yet is pretty prominent. Looks like someone has been drawing funny faces....can you explain why you did not take a photograph  of the pretty striking potato head face the first time round? 

10 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

Can you get a trained archeologist to have a look. Seems there is more in the video, but we do not know if they are recent or old? All will depend on the rock and weather...as they are outside in the open, time and weather conditions could wear them away, hence they need testing to actually see how old they are and if they are fossils or something completely different. 

Note..they are exposed...what is the climate and its history there?

The climate is very warm and dry (93 when I was there a few days ago).  There are other known petroglyphs in the Valley of fire, they are popular attractions in the park.

I'll contact an archaeologist in the area and update you when they reply 

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

0.7 in the video...that was not in the original pictures and yet is pretty prominent. Looks like someone has been drawing funny faces....can you explain why you did not take a photograph  of the pretty striking potato head face the first time round? 

I so wish I had! I only took a short video, as I had intended on stopping and taking more/close up photos on the hike back to the car.

I think the little paw prints up the right side delight me the most in this :) 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Brittanyvt said:

Approximately 2 miles from a road or trail, we stumbled upon a tucked away wall of petroglyphs in the Valley of Fire, NV.  Because of upload size limitations, this is only a screenshot from a short mp4.  One petroglyph seems to depict a shonisaurus.  Any ideas what the others depict?

Hello there, welcome to UM.

I've been looking online at some of the other petroglyphs in the Valley of Fire. I thought it might offer a few clues to see what else is there. Here's one link I found which features 'Atlatl rock', there's loads of petroglyphs on that in various shapes and sizes.

http://users.stlcc.edu/mfuller/atlatlrock.html

Two figures with upraised arms and open fingers are shown in the panel at Atlatl rock

You have one of those figures in your pic.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Still Waters said:

Hello there, welcome to UM.

I've been looking online at some of the other petroglyphs in the Valley of Fire. I thought it might offer a few clues to see what else is there. Here's one link I found which features 'Atlatl rock', there's loads of petroglyphs on that in various shapes and sizes.

http://users.stlcc.edu/mfuller/atlatlrock.html

You have one of those figures in your pic.

You're right! How neat!! Thank you still waters :)

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Kenemet said:

Beautiful, and yes, I see them.  Check the NRAF website to see if this is a known location.  If not, give the approximate location (with some directions) so they can be cataloged and noted for preservation: http://www.nvrockart.org/

These are actually fairly old.

Thank you Kenemet! I emailed the video and description to arquinlan@nvrockart.com.  I will quote his response!

• Like 4

I reached out to the University of Las Vegas.  The response was: 

you need to contact the museum because our professors does not look at these things.

Sorry

I'll find the appropriate Las Vegas museum and contact them with the details

Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Piney said:

I double checked the motifs while at Rowan yesterday. They look legit. A lot of BLM land is "uncharted" from a archaeology point. There are too many resources out there to rape so conservation is discouraged.  If you saw some of the Fremont Culture sites that no longer exist in Utah (I'm talking almost complete villages) you would be sickened. 

They are legit.  I've done a lot of rock art tourism in my day.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Brittanyvt said:

I reached out to the University of Las Vegas.  The response was: 

I'll find the appropriate Las Vegas museum and contact them with the details

Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg

Sadly, the museum and universities may not have the resources or the personnel to work with this.  A state archaeology society would (they could send volunteers if interested) and state rock art societies can and do work to catalog and preserve the site.  Local and national rock art societies are the only ones consistently able to identify styles (professors who are interested in rock art are pretty thin on the ground, sad to say.)

What's interesting and unusual are the "cougar footprints" (or, more likely, bear footprints) incised into the stone.  Those are probably a personal item rather than a tribal item.  The rock art should be identifiable by style.

Edited by Kenemet
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

BrittanyVT, you forgot to mention what a nice shoulder that was in the picture!  (obviously trumps any 10,000 year old rock art).  I think you should get in touch with that UNLV Prof again.  That'll practically force them to come out and take a look.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, JoshuaVT said:

BrittanyVT, you forgot to mention what a nice shoulder that was in the picture!  (obviously trumps any 10,000 year old rock art).  I think you should get in touch with that UNLV Prof again.  That'll practically force them to come out and take a look.

Thank you JoshuaVT.  That shoulder; an excellent example of a geocontourglyph; depicting the lower valley's small, rolling hill. Still, there is a stone missing from the photos; maybe it will be available for a follow-up pic. An UNLV professor can then decide if further exploration is worthy.

Another response from UNLV: 

Sorry,  But our department does not even do our own analyzing.  You can either take what you found to the Museum downtown or have it analysis with BetaAnalytic 

Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg

1 hour ago, Brittanyvt said:

Another response from UNLV: 

Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg

Greetings Brittany,

Merely an observation or two: 1) Based upon the sentence/grammatical structure, you would not appear to be dealing with a qualified individual. 2) Beta Analytic deals exclusively with radiocarbon dating, which would not, based upon the photos, be applicable in this case.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

How about that, I never know radio and carbons even dated in the first place, I wonder if Beta Analytic has successfully matched any radio carbons couplings thus far and gone on to have many little radio carbon families making many little radio carbon babies

How goes it ... Mr Swede long time no see :)

~

• Like 1