Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Innateness

8th_wall

Samadhi, or the final limb of the 8 limbs of yoga, speaks of union with all, oneness, become one with.  In a practical connotation from my perspective I take it to mean that whatever one's doing is, whether it be contemplating a certain idea or practising riding a bike, a certain understanding is reached that makes that idea a part of you or it becomes second nature to you.

I wonder at the profound difficulty many have, including myself, of doing what you know you shouldn't or what you want to, consistently over time.  Often times it is easy to give advice to someone, for example, however taking that advice and becoming one with it and then living that advice isn't so straight forward of a matter from everything I have seen.

Samadhi, or union with, isn't "the end of the road" either as the process of "concentrating upon" (Dharana), "being engaged with and in" (Dhyana) and "being a part of self as self" (Samadhi) is a continuous flow called Samyama.

Another way I like to think of these 3 things is in terms of knowing, realisation and understanding however I don't know in what order this should be.  I think it should go knowing, realisation and understanding.  One starts with what one has, knowing, one acquires greater awareness of it, realisation, and one deepens this awareness further, understanding.  Forming a continuous cycle.

I derived abstractions to think of this trinity as well however at the moment I'm curious about the process that something goes through becoming "innate" or "second nature" to someone.  Especially when older and acquiring new skills require greater levels of efforts, or so I think from what I've read i.e can't teach an old dog new tricks sort of thing.

How is it that you guys go about making new information you come across a part of who you are in such a way that you spread that information forwards through your being, that is, through your doing, throughout the world in who you interact with and so on?  Or, more selfishly, how do you go about changing or enhancing certain aspects of your frequent doings?  Or adding to it?  I.e habit acquisition.  Now I know a lot has been written on this however I feel it is still an open field for discussion.  I.e habit is understood as trigger, algorithm, conclusion or stimulus, action and reward.

"Knowing that" is not the same as "Living it".  Thoughts?

Edited by PsiSeeker

Practice, practice, practice is all I know. I used to be a musician, played bass guitar in bands, and the best and easiest I would ever plan was when 'I' wasn't playing, the instrument would be playing itself. 

This kind of spontaneity is important in life, in my view, allowing things to happen by themselves, not interfering with the natural flow. I think we can use this kind of innateness as a powerful tool to achieve our goals in life.

• Like 1