Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
danydandan

FIFA World Cup 2018.

196 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Helen of Annoy
1 hour ago, Black Monk said:

How are Croatia losing this match? They've been by far the better team.

That's our specialty :lol:

Well, damn.... happens.

 

I'm very proud of our team. No one expected them to get this far, so it's still a miracle.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Black Monk
Posted (edited)

The first time six goals have been scored in a World Cup final since England beat West Germany 4-2 in 1966.

Edited by Black Monk
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
stevewinn

Thank god it was Croatia that got thumped, if that were England in the final it would've been 5 or 6 to France. There is a lot of praise for the England but we played no one great and had an easy route. Same with Croatia. 

In the group stage. England had Belgium, Panama, Tunisia. In the knockout stage. Sweden, Colombia. & Croatia. (who we couldn't beat) 

Croatia, the same. Argentina, Iceland, Nigeria. In the knockout stage. Denmark, Russia & England.

The French are the deserved winners. Beating Argentina, Uruguay & Belgium. 

It could have been worse, we could've been German. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Eldorado
16 hours ago, danydandan said:

He's part Irish and the part of Ireland thats in him always and I mean always go with the money.

Let's hope the Irish in him doesn't decide it wants to play for Real Ale.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
danydandan
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

Let's hope the Irish in him doesn't decide it wants to play for Real Ale.

Honestly he didn't have great world cup (I know he was top goal scorer), half his goals were penalties and one was an utter fluke he did not have a clue about. His link up play is not great. He is basically an English Ruud Van Nistelrooy with more work ethic and sometimes I feel players need to contribute more if they are to play for Barcelona. But he is a goal machine, like Lineker.

Edited by danydandan
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Eldorado

A tad harsh, I think. Good strikers miss a barrowload of sitters in their careers. He's a goalscorer and scored more goals than any other player at the tournament.  Better service and he'd have scored more.

I was disappointed in England against Croatia. The Croats were fitter and hungrier and that saddens me.  Whatever happened to the bulldog spirit? Traded for an X-box and some Gucci aftershave?

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ExpandMyMind
13 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

A tad harsh, I think. Good strikers miss a barrowload of sitters in their careers. He's a goalscorer and scored more goals than any other player at the tournament.  Better service and he'd have scored more.

I was disappointed in England against Croatia. The Croats were fitter and hungrier and that saddens me.  Whatever happened to the bulldog spirit? Traded for an X-box and some Gucci aftershave?

They only had something like 6 shots on target the whole tournament. That says it all.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Eldorado
1 minute ago, ExpandMyMind said:

They only had something like 6 shots on target the whole tournament. That says it all.

We were talking Harry, though. Six shots on target but your main striker scores six then it's not him who is to blame for a meek exit.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bama13

The French finally win in Russia. Napoleon eat your heart out!! :D

  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
third_eye

Croatia ran out of gas sixty plus minutes in, those three extra time games in a row took its toll, those two early giveaways to start France off like that will knock the wind out of anybody's sails to tell the truth ... France hardly broke a sweat for the half time lead, they just cuddled it home gently after that.

For myself personally, the crucial and telling difference between the Quarter Finalists and France who finally won ?

One player ... Kylian Mbappé ... everything else was pretty much equal or equals out in the tall and short of it, France had him and everyone else did not.

The laddie was exceptional

~

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Golden Duck
12 hours ago, stevewinn said:

Thank god it was Croatia that got thumped, if that were England in the final it would've been 5 or 6 to France. There is a lot of praise for the England but we played no one great and had an easy route. Same with Croatia. 

In the group stage. England had Belgium, Panama, Tunisia. In the knockout stage. Sweden, Colombia. & Croatia. (who we couldn't beat) 

Croatia, the same. Argentina, Iceland, Nigeria. In the knockout stage. Denmark, Russia & England.

The French are the deserved winners. Beating Argentina, Uruguay & Belgium. 

It could have been worse, we could've been German. 

Or Italian

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Eldorado

The live TV football withdrawal symptoms have started. Caught myself hoovering carpets today.  Grr.

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Solipsi Rai
On 6/23/2018 at 7:10 PM, Solipsi Rai said:

When Mexico defeated Germany (current champs) 1-0 in the first group match, I realized there won't be a repeat of the final match of the German and now Argentine teams, also Mexico won against So. Korea 2-1 today. My father roots for his French team (we live in the USA) and possibly Brazil or Portugal will be finalists this year. I see a North American team to win it instead of the likes of Brazil or from the E.U., a first for Mexico.

Update: VIVE LE FRANCE! They won the grand final match vs Croatia. And Belgium defeats England in the third place (I'm sure many have posted already on the results). I expected the French or Belgians to be third place or something. It's a shame the USA never goes far in the world cup, nor Mexico who has a problem reaching "the fifth game".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Solipsi Rai

How can I explain this mishap? Nearing 18 minutes, Croatia accidentally gives France it's first goal of the final match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWekFiufuq0

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Eldorado
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Solipsi Rai said:

How can I explain this mishap? Nearing 18 minutes, Croatia accidentally gives France it's first goal of the final match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWekFiufuq0

You mean the referee accidently gifts France their first goal.  It was a dive for the free-kick.  He cheated.

Edited by Eldorado

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Black Monk
On 16/07/2018 at 11:21 AM, stevewinn said:

 There is a lot of praise for the England but we played no one great and had an easy route. 

Well that's not our fault. We can only play who we play.

England can do no right, it seems. Reach the semi-finals of the World Cup and they are still attacked by some people.

It seems as though England can only be deemed to have had a successful tournament if they win it by beating only Brazil, Germany, Spain, France, Italy, Argentina and Portugal without conceding a goal. 

Do you reckon the Portuguese try and sully their team's Euro 2016 victory or do you reckon they universally celebrate it, despite their team finishing third in their group and winning only one match in 90 minutes? I reckon it's the latter.

This is how it usually works:

1) England lose against lesser opposition, like Iceland, and are dubbed to be a laughing stock by some people.

2) England comfortably beat lesser opponents, such as Panama, by putting six goals past them and are attacked by people who say things like "Well, it was only Panama."

 Can't win either way, it seems.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Black Monk
On 20/07/2018 at 12:02 AM, Solipsi Rai said:

Update: VIVE LE FRANCE! They won the grand final match vs Croatia. And Belgium defeats England in the third place (I'm sure many have posted already on the results). I expected the French or Belgians to be third place or something. It's a shame the USA never goes far in the world cup, nor Mexico who has a problem reaching "the fifth game".

Of course, in both of England's defeats against Belgium England fielded a weakened side.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
stevewinn
30 minutes ago, Black Monk said:

Well that's not our fault. We can only play who we play.

England can do no right, it seems. Reach the semi-finals of the World Cup and they are still attacked by some people.

It seems as though England can only be deemed to have had a successful tournament if they win it by beating only Brazil, Germany, Spain, France, Italy, Argentina and Portugal without conceding a goal. 

Do you reckon the Portuguese try and sully their team's Euro 2016 victory or do you reckon they universally celebrate it, despite their team finishing third in their group and winning only one match in 90 minutes? I reckon it's the latter.

This is how it usually works:

1) England lose against lesser opposition, like Iceland, and are dubbed to be a laughing stock by some people.

2) England comfortably beat lesser opponents, such as Panama, by putting six goals past them and are attacked by people who say things like "Well, it was only Panama."

 Can't win either way, it seems.

True. 

Just didn't like our performances and the fact surrendered to Belgium in order to progress via an "easier route" just look at the Croatian game. Not only boring but lacklustre. If we ever had a chance it was this tournament. Frustrating we wasted it. 4 years from now we won't get out the group mark my words. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
third_eye

I thought England Football is on a rather Rosy path at the moment ...

Quote

 

~

FIFA U-17 World Cup: Little known facts about England's young ...

https://www.hindustantimes.com › fifa u17 world cup 2017
Oct 29, 2017 - FIFA U-17 World Cup,England football team,Rhian Brewster ... only the second country to hold the world titles in both the age-group tournaments. ... For the eventual world champions, it was the 44th-minute goal from Rhian ...
~

England win European Under-19 Championship as youth shines ...

Jul 15, 2017 - England celebrate after beating Portugal 2-1 in the Uefa Under-19 ... a final and a semi-final for other age groups– added to the impression that nothing ... the teams coached by Downing's Football Association colleagues too.

~

Under-20 World Cup: England beat Venezuela in final - BBC Sport

Jun 11, 2017 - Highlights: England win the U20 World Cup ... in the Argentina team that won the 2005 event (then called the Fifa World Youth Championship), ...

~


 

.. the Ladies ain't doing too badly either ...
 

Quote

 

~

Fifa rankings: England women up to all-time high of second behind ...

Mar 23, 2018 - England women have moved up a place to second in the Fifa world rankings, their best ever position and the highest ever by an England team.

~

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Black Monk
21 hours ago, stevewinn said:

True. 

Just didn't like our performances and the fact surrendered to Belgium in order to progress via an "easier route" just look at the Croatian game. Not only boring but lacklustre. If we ever had a chance it was this tournament. Frustrating we wasted it. 4 years from now we won't get out the group mark my words. 

It's not the performances that matter. It's the results that matter. And England got the results they needed to finish fourth in the tournament despite having the youngest and most inexperienced squad in the tournament. And what does it matter what teams we play?

Again, this seems to be some sort of English disease: too picky and fussy over how the national side performs, even when finishing fourth at the World Cup. Do you think the Portuguese were complaining about how dire their team was at Euro 2016 or do you just think they were happy that their team somehow won it?

When Italy won the 2006 World Cup do you reckon Italians went around saying "But we only played Ghana, USA, Czech Republic and Ukraine in order to get to the Semi-finals" or do you just think they were happy to get to that stage of the tournament?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
stevewinn
2 minutes ago, Black Monk said:

It's not the performances that matter. It's the results that matter. And England got the results they needed to finish fourth in the tournament despite having the youngest and most inexperienced squad in the tournament. And what does it matter what teams we play?

Again, this seems to be some sort of English disease: too picky and fussy over how the national side performs, even when finishing fourth at the World Cup. Do you think the Portuguese were complaining about how dire their team was at Euro 2016 or do you just think they were happy that their team somehow won it?

When Italy won the 2006 World Cup do you reckon Italians went around saying "But we only played Ghana, USA, Czech Republic and Ukraine in order to get to the Semi-finals" or do you just think they were happy to get to that stage of the tournament?

cant argue against the points you make because your right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.