Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Can an artificial intelligence really think ?

UM-Bot

AI computer systems may be intelligent, but can they ever be truly self-aware ?

No emotion, no consciousness, no morality. 

IMO the answer is that it doesn't really matter if it's self aware or not...it's still not really alive. I highly suspect its ultimate behavior would be far more like those humans we call psychopaths. This isn't a good idea. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Lilly said:

No emotion, no consciousness, no morality.

Sounds like your average politician! :lol:

Joking aside, I'd argue that all these things can be programmed. They're just biochemical mechanisms that can be reproduced artifically with sufficiently advanced technology.

It's once you start getting into more complex concepts, such as spirituality that there are questions to be answered, and mankind is still trading blows on that one.

Basically, until we understand ourselves completely, both physically and metaphysically, we can't say to what degree AI will develop.

I still say this is a bad idea...a really bad idea. I'll be dead before this comes into fruition. Good luck to those of you who will have live though this one. 

• Thanks 1

After reading many threads and topics on this site, I sometimes wonder if organic intelligences can actually think....... :blink:

1 hour ago, LV-426 said:

we can't say to what degree AI will develop.

That seems to be the potential problem.  I just finished a work of fiction by William Hertling called AVOGADRO CORP and he tells a tech-heavy tale of an unplanned, unexpected singularity being crossed by a "simple" email app.  It's fascinating and a little frightening simply because we cannot imagine where machine intelligence might evolve once we allow it to become aware of itself.  The biggest issue is that these machines are used to control our infrastructure and military systems.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JMPD1 said:

After reading many threads and topics on this site, I sometimes wonder if organic intelligences can actually think....... :blink:

Not up to the lofty standards of some, apparently, but everyone here can do even better than that.... we can DREAM.

6 hours ago, Lilly said:

I still say this is a bad idea...a really bad idea. I'll be dead before this comes into fruition. Good luck to those of you who will have live though this one. 

You know Lilly, I probably lean more towards your point of view these days.

I grew up in the golden age of computing, and I've worked and lived in and around technology all my life. There are no doubt many advantages, but when I see the way we're becoming little more than statistical data to politicians and big business, the difficulty in discerning fact from fiction in the media, and the disconnect in actual human contact, I have a lot of doubts and fears for the future too.

Getting back to basics sometimes seems like a good idea, but it's hard to see it happening unless humanity is faced with some kind of global disaster that halts the march of technology.

• Like 1

Actually, I’m ok with technology advancing and I really like a great deal of it. I’m just not ok with it thinking...not ok at all with that idea. 

On 5/22/2018 at 5:44 AM, LV-426 said:

Sounds like your average politician! :lol:

Joking aside, I'd argue that all these things can be programmed. They're just biochemical mechanisms that can be reproduced artifically with sufficiently advanced technology.

It's once you start getting into more complex concepts, such as spirituality that there are questions to be answered, and mankind is still trading blows on that one.

Basically, until we understand ourselves completely, both physically and metaphysically, we can't say to what degree AI will develop.

Completely agree. All that can be programmed, just like it can be in people (to a degree). All these tales of some AI thing being created and destroying humanity are all so silly to me. We create it, we program it, we tell it what to do and how to think, we pull the plug if it gets ugly. Any consciousness built from tech is going to be delicate and very simple to turn off/destroy if we so choose.

Edited by moonman