Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Holy Grail" of Shipwrecks found.

pallidin

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2018/05/22/autonomous-vehicle-helped-locate-holy-grail-shipwrecks-off-colombia.html

"An autonomous vehicle was used in 2015 to locate a Spanish galleon that sunk 300 years ago off the coast of Colombia with $17 billion in treasure, the research team that helped in the discovery said on Monday."

• Like 4

That is real interesting! I would be very curious to see more images captured of the wreckage.

I wish I could find at least half a billion in treasure one day :D

• Like 3

Holy treasure, Batman!

• Like 1

wow what a find     from the article 

Several weeks ago, UNESCO, the United Nations cultural agency, called on Colombia not to commercially exploit the wreck, whose exact location remains a state secret. The country hopes to build a museum and preserve the wreck, the Massachusetts-based WHOI said on its website 

Thats encouraging. It would be interesting to view what was on board in a museum setting . Yes 17billion seems a crazy amount !

Here is a pic of The San Jose I found online

San_José,_model.jpg

Edited by khol
added picture
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, oldrover said:

17 billion? Really? What did they have on it, a crashed UFO?

You have a fair point. lmao :rofl:

• Like 1

I guess absolutely massive amounts of gold, silver and emeralds.

Edited by pallidin

Yeah, that Spanish Galleon was massive. Its cargo alone could easily exceed several hundred tons.

According to the Web, 150 tons of gold is worth $10 billion.

Rounding-off.

------------

Total amount of mined gold since forever is about 1,000 times that, or 157,000 tons in 2007 study.

1 hour ago, oldrover said:

17 billion? Really? What did they have on it, a crashed UFO?

Dabloons!!!!!

42 minutes ago, pallidin said:

I guess absolutely massive amounts of gold, silver and emeralds.

it's times like this that I wish I could swim....

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, seanjo said:

This should ALL go back into helping the Native South Americans, the people the gold etc. was stolen from.

Ehhhhh... I am Native American . . . is that close enough?

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, seanjo said:

Was it stolen from your ancestors, if yes, then yes...

Nah my ancestors are Sioux. That's South Dakota, North America (: BUt I like shiny treasure as much as the next gal :wub:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

What's the point of a conquering war if, after the war, all must be returned?

In special cases, such as the Nazi's, yes.

But this was Way Back in time, where the "victims" of this treasure acquisition were a very brutal peoples.

I don't know. Maybe it could be peaceably settled if they just give it to ME, a neutral party.  :D

• Like 1

Do the finders get a percentage? Not sure I would give up 17 billion if I spent  a ton of money locating it.

The Colombian government will keep the vast majority of it.  

• Like 1

600 member crew...did I read that right? That was a big boat!

21 hours ago, pallidin said:

What's the point of a conquering war if, after the war, all must be returned?

In special cases, such as the Nazi's, yes.

But this was Way Back in time, where the "victims" of this treasure acquisition were a very brutal peoples.

I don't know. Maybe it could be peaceably settled if they just give it to ME, a neutral party.  :D

Pallidin, you're forgetting the PC world we live in now.  After a war you give everything back and pay for repairs. It's the only left, I mean correct thing to do.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Gecks said:

Wouldnt this fall under maritime salvage laws? I thought those who recovered it owned it?

The location is secret, but I suspect the controversy in part might be because it is sunk in the legal territorial waters of Columbia.

If it were in international waters than yes, salvage laws would apply.

And now the greed takes over. "Whose gold is this and how do I get some" will be the theme now. Just look at the comments.

Edited by Berwen

On 5/22/2018 at 11:38 AM, seanjo said:

Gold and silver stolen from the natives.

On 5/22/2018 at 11:39 AM, seanjo said:

This should ALL go back into helping the Native South Americans, the people the gold etc. was stolen from.

Geez!  Ultimately, all the peoples that exist today can trace a line back to some "native" group that was eventually wronged.  So why stop at what the Spanish stole.  Let's repatriate all ill-gotten gain back to the original owners.  You’d have to go back to the Stone Age.  I wonder how this will affect civilization over all?  Oh wait!  We wouldn’t have civilization.  We'd be in the Stone Age.

Looks like the San Jose went down near the Islas del Rosario (probably between Isla Grande and Isla Baru) in the 1st Battle of Cartagena (Wager’s Action).  Definitely in the coastal waters of Columbia.  So close, yet so far from safety.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, pallidin said:

The location is secret, but I suspect the controversy in part might be because it is sunk in the legal territorial waters of Columbia.

If it were in international waters than yes, salvage laws would apply.

Ahh makes sense... cheers!

• Like 1