Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Thinking VS Feeling

8th_wall

Emotional intelligence is the highest form of intelligence if you ask me.

But, each to their own.

I let people be people most of the time.

And why?! - Well, we can't find our own truth unless we have the freedom we need in order to find it.

We need to feel free in our mind so we can find the way that is right for us!

Edited by kmt_sesh
Spelling
  • Like 1

In order to function well one has to both feel and think. One should never allow either option to 'drive the bus' so to speak. The tricky part is being able to think about our feelings and know when they are beneficial and in tune with reality, verses when they are something irrational and harmful. This state of balance is not all that easy to achieve. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Goddess of the Mist said:

No, we don't have control over the degree.  They are a response to a sense, like you mentioned in your op.  But I can't tell you how you should respond to them or what kind of action you should take.  That is entirely up to you.  Often times what happens is people react to emotions based on reactions they used in the past that brought results.  Sometimes these are ingrained in us since childhood.  The problem is many times these ways we use to react become ineffective, or just aren't right or appropriate for certain situations - especially as we become more mature.  It's important to let yourself just experience the emotion for a bit, and often you find different and better ways to deal with things.  Of course, I'm not talking about emergency or safety situations that require immediate action.

Hmm, I find that controlling certain action is sometimes unavoidable in the throws of certain emotions.  Or if I don't act then then the emotion finds some way to present itself at some later indeterminate time.  This is an interesting thought, once emotion is experienced some action is expected to occur in response to that emotion.  If no action occurs then it bottles until it finds another outlet.  What do you think of this line of thought? 

38 minutes ago, Goddess of the Mist said:

I think what we find is that the emotion may not even require an outlet, and won't be bottled at all.  We will see it for what it is - the effect of a sense - and find that there isn't even a need to react.  You might be thinking of anger.  We can look for certain patterns in how we react to it.  Maybe even look at it's source.  It can help us to better understand what's really going on and how we should react.  Sometimes it might be better to blow off the steam in a workout - just till things settle down a little. This might sound incredibly mellow, and trust me, I'm pretty firey by nature.  This is something I am trying to train myself.  

Ah yeah, I hear what you're saying.  What I'm thinking is that even if we don't act at the time the emotion occurs we might act in response to it at a later time when we're more emotionally balanced in relation to whatever caused that emotion to occur to begin with.

Might not necessarily be anger.  I think emotion might cause us to "make note to take action at some point".

I wonder if we truly "let things go" or if we merely find healthier ways to react in accordance to the motivating force the emotion has on our beings.  If we don't directly do something about it maybe that energy manifests in unpredictable ways, like somewhere in the body, tight back or something.  Just postulating.  An emotion that has no responsive action in accordance with it seems like the brain wasting energy, and the brain is anything but wasteful from what I understand. 

21 hours ago, LightAngel said:

Emotional intelligence is the highest form of intelligence if you ask me.

But, each to their own.

I let people be people most of the time.

And why?! - Well, we can't find our own truth unless we have the freedom we need in order to find it.

We need to feel free in our mind so we can find the way that is right for us!

My thinking is that emotion itself is interweaves with whatever we mean when we think of intelligence.  Though it might not present itself as a particular emotion, it might be a feeling.  I'm pondering the distinction between feeling and emotion. 

Sometimes logic is important to have.

But sometimes, logic gets in the way of doing what is right.

And sometimes, feelings get in the way of doing what is logical.

There needs to be a balance.

Edited by DanteHoratio
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, DanteHoratio said:

Sometimes logic is important to have.

But sometimes, logic gets in the way of doing what is right.

And sometimes, feelings get in the way of doing what is logical.

There needs to be a balance.

I'm sort of questioning why it's thought that logic and emotion are necessarily two separate things.  We view it as such, sure, however I'm wondering if logic itself isn't embedded to some extent in emotion, or feeling.

Do you think you're feeling, or do you feel you're thinking?

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/23/2018 at 9:26 AM, PsiSeeker said:

Came across an interesting notion in the past couple of days that seems to be tying together some disparate ideas in my head.

The use of language, whether through talking, reading, writing, typing, mathematics, physics, different models and so forth, is equivalent to what is meant by "thinking".

Thoughts? 

In many ways I agree with this. Our ability to think in metaphor is what human "consciousness", really is. Without it we are just another run of the mill species of ape. Thanks to language.