Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

30 YO Evicted From Parents House

susieice

In a real life case of the movie Failure To Launch, a New York couple has successful sued their 30 yr old son to vacate their house. They pretty much told him to get a job and take care of himself. It used to be at the age of 18 your parents were no longer legally responsible for your support.

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/national-international/30-Year-Old-Son-Wont-Move-Out-So-Parents-Took-Him-to-Court-Evict-New-York-Upstate-Adult-Rotondo-483340201.html

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

The poor parents must have been at their wits end with him to take such desperate action. I think it's more common than we realise in regards to adult kids that sponge off their parents by taking advantage, simply because they are selfish and too lazy to get a job and take some responsibility for their own lives. 

• Like 9

I like how if he got a job, he would have to pay for court costs fighting for custody of his son...that is a huge thing judges look at.  If you can't/won't support yourself,  you can't expect to win custody.  He chose to have a child, he needs to help pay to raise him.  Children are not stupid, they see what happens between parents.  And now grandparents, did he expect them to pay to raise the child if he got custody?  What a complete loser IMO.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I wanted to be away from my parents as soon as I got my first job at 15. I couldn't imagine living with them in my 30's. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

I was outta there at 17, and I thought that was too long.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, glorybebe said:

I like how if he got a job, he would have to pay for court costs fighting for custody of his son...that is a huge thing judges look at.  If you can't/won't support yourself,  you can't expect to win custody.  He chose to have a child, he needs to help pay to raise him.  Children are not stupid, they see what happens between parents.  And now grandparents, did he expect them to pay to raise the child if he got custody?  What a complete loser IMO.

He certainly is a loser. I watched the video where he basically gave the judge some argumentative attitude. The thing that struck me the most was in how he felt so darn entitled by continuing to live in his parents house. He even felt that he was entitled to 6 months more notice before he vacated the premises.

*I must have missed the bit about him (the 30 year old) having a son / winning custody etc..? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I wanted to be away from my parents as soon as I got my first job at 15. I couldn't imagine living with them in my 30's. 

19 minutes ago, .ZZ. said:

I was outta there at 17, and I thought that was too long.

Yeah, I couldn't wait to get my own pad and move out of home after I got a job. It was an exciting time :clap:..

• Like 5

This caught my attention. From the link:

He then called out for television camera crews to meet him outside the courthouse. There, he answered their questions, telling them he occupies a bedroom in his parents' home, doesn't speak to them and isn't ready to leave home. He said he had a business but wouldn't elaborate.

• He doesn't speak to them? wth?
  • Like 3

This is from Syracuse.com and a great article. Syracuse, NY is where the trial took place. This cad intents to appeal because he isn't ready to leave home! Adult Protective Services has also been called to investigate what is going on in the home and if there is something going on by the man towards his parents. He put on a big show for the press and tried to impress a Judge who, in the long run, was not at all impressed. What a loser! :blink:

https://www.syracuse.com/crime/index.ssf/2018/05/judge_praises_adult_sons_legal_research_boots_him_from_parents_house_anyway.html

• Like 4

1 hour ago, glorybebe said:

Sorry, glorybebe. I take it that you mean that if a child (grandchild) had been involved..it would be a different case scenario for this guy and the court. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, susieice said:

This caught my attention. From the link:

He then called out for television camera crews to meet him outside the courthouse. There, he answered their questions, telling them he occupies a bedroom in his parents' home, doesn't speak to them and isn't ready to leave home. He said he had a business but wouldn't elaborate.

• He doesn't speak to them? wth?

It sounds to me susie, that he treats them like crap..and has probably been this way towards them for some time. He shows them no respect, and I'd say that he's been walking all over them for a while. I found him rather arrogant when he was being interviewed outside the court..and he was a bit of a smart-mouth also to the judge. 

Just to add - too bad it wasn't Judge Judy that he tried to argue with. She would have slammed him down for sure :tu:...

Edited by Astra.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Astra. said:

It sounds to me susie, that he treats them like crap..and has probably been this way towards them for some time. He shows them no respect, and he's been walking all over them for a while. I found him rather arrogant when he was being interviewed outside the court..and he was a bit of a smart-mouth also to the judge. 

Yep. He's just taking advantage and living off them. He needs to move on! 

Edited by susieice
  • Like 2

Didn't get enough notice?

How many friggin' years notice does he need?

What a douche.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Astra. said:

Sorry, glorybebe. I take it that you mean that if a child (grandchild) had been involved..it would be a different case scenario for this guy and the court. 

• During his brief stint living away from home, he became a father
  • He says his troubles with his parents are connected to him losing custody of his son late last year
  • After losing custody, he says his parents told him to get a job and insurance
  • He said he couldn't because it would compromise his attempts to get his court fees waived
  • A few days after his parents had a court hearing to get visitation of their grandson, Michael says they gave him his first written order to move out
  • Michael refused to leave and fought his parents in court on Tuesday

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5759301/Deadbeat-millennial-tells-parents-sought-evict-home.html

• Thanks 2

Just now, glorybebe said:
  • He says his troubles with his parents are connected to him losing custody of his son late last year
  • He said he couldn't because it would compromise his attempts to get his court fees waived
  • A few days after his parents had a court hearing to get visitation of their grandson, Michael says they gave him his first written order to move out

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5759301/Deadbeat-millennial-tells-parents-sought-evict-home.html

Wow, thank you for that. What a mess. His mother looks so sad in the picture. I hope they will be able to see their grand child. At the end of the day, it seems that their son is still very irresponsible, (whether he is a father or not). It's unbelievable that he didn't contribute in anyway, especially financially for 8yrs whilst living under his parents roof. It's no wonder they want him out. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Astra. said:

Wow, thank you for that. What a mess. His mother looks so sad in the picture. I hope they will be able to see their grand child. At the end of the day, it seems that their son is still very irresponsible, (whether he is a father or not). It's unbelievable that he didn't contribute in anyway, especially financially for 8yrs whilst living under his parents roof. It's no wonder they want him out. 

And to be afraid that he has weapons in their house? Getting assessed for abuse from him?  The last 8 years must have been hell.   For the mother of his child to win supervised visits, there is more going than is being said.  

• Like 3

An jobless adult man living in his parents home and making excuses as to why he can't get a job or be a contributing member of society...what a loser.

That seems to be a trend lately. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, XenoFish said:

I moved back in with mine after uni when I got a job down the road to save up. Took less than a month before I started looking for somewhere else :D

• Like 4

I left home at 16. I was living in a foreign country at 17 and owned 50% of my own business, in that foriegn country at 18.

I  can't imagine wanting to live at home.

And I can't imagine a parent who would be happy to see thier child stunt thier own possibilities by not growing up. 

• Like 4

At one point he said he didn't understand what the reason was for his parents asking him to leave! WT .....!

Presumably he has to leave the house sometimes so couldn't they have simply changed the locks?

• Like 4

7 hours ago, glorybebe said:

Thanks for the link glorybebe. There's so much in there I could quote it extensively. This guy is suing Best Buy, his former employer, for firing him eight years ago. Doesn't sound like that case is going well. He says helping out with household expenses and chores isn't in his living agreement. What a lame bum! During his interview he kept playing with his hair. What a vain b.....d! I hope Adult Protection Services can really assist the parents with getting him out and keeping him out. I wonder what his sister has to say about all of this.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

At one point he said he didn't understand what the reason was for his parents asking him to leave! WT .....!

Presumably he has to leave the house sometimes so couldn't they have simply changed the locks?

Agreed ouija ouija. Why is this even in a state Supreme Court? I know a few millineals that are living in their parents' house and they are older than this guy. Do they really think their parents owe them a living for the rest of their lives? If your parents take you in or keep you, in the least, you owe them respect and help. You shouldn't be expecting them to keep you. Their responsibility for support ends at the age of 18. Or at least it used to. Fighting them to keep supporting you at the age of 30 should be embarrassing.

• Like 3

Found this and it is 18 in most states. If the child is in college, it remains partly the parent's responsibility to assist with tuition. At the age of 18 the student is considered an adult and parents won't be told much of anything without the student's consent. That is in the second link. Maybe parents need to learn this stuff if their child is going to continue on like this guy is.

https://family.findlaw.com/emancipation-of-minors/how-long-do-parents-legal-obligations-to-their-children-continue.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/01/your-money/when-a-child-legally-becomes-an-adult.html

It doesn't seem as if parents are accountable for the support of their adult children.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/personalfinance/2016/03/27/open-letter-parents-who-financially-support-adult-children/81808262/

• Like 2

• Like 2