Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The human mind has to be so much more.

SeekerWCF

I feel asleep today on my sofa. I had a dream where there was a young woman that in the dream scenario was my girl friend. I have a wife, but I was not Lucid yet. She was very pretty and not unlike a younger version of my wife. 

I sort of woke up and she was laying next to me. We talked for a bit. Then she said she wanted to make love, but she wanted to take a shower first, so she got up a presumably went to take a shower. We were outside on a blanket. I looked up and I saw a star only it was daylight. Then I saw a hot air balloon. It was lowly creeping toward the star and eventually eclipsed it. Then something strange happened. A giant hole sort of apeaers in the middle of the balloon. Not like a rip but a perfectly formed hole so that I can see the star on the other side. Then the rest of the balloon shrinks and disappears, and the basket falls out of the sky. I remember my first concerns was for the pilots... I remebering muttering "WTF" 

I'm mulling it over what the heck I just saw when she returns and plops on the blanket next to me. I have now come to the conclusion that I am dreaming. I look at her and tell her that I am dreaming. In sort of a seductive playful spirit, says "oh yeah, then you can make me do what ever you want." And gives me a dazzling smile. Then she jumps up and runs about 20 feet away and says "Make me come to you." 

Considering this an interesting experiment, I try to will her to come to me. She doesn't and instead she takes off running. I go running after her. I wake up not much longer.

------

When contemplating this, I find myself amazed beyond anything else. It is so mind blowing that these dream characters can have minds of their own. Of course I have known many personalities in my altered states and dreams, and I have always left one foot in the realm of empirical science and the other in the roots of our ancestors and the spirit world. 

I find my science mind is moved to tears at the complexity of our brains to give these parts of us life. I have studied a lot of evolutionary psychology and have a huge interest in history and the evolution of humanity, and it just seems like there should be no reason what so ever for nature to select this ability to give autonomous action to characters completely existing within our own psyche. I have in depth friendships with some of these characters. Even Seeker/Whitecranefeather ( me) himself has even sort evolved as an alter ego slightly separate from the man I am in my normal life. I hear him sometimes and he acts as a guide and friend. He is still me I know. And everything he is I am, but sometimes I find myself asking him for advice. Strange I know.

This mind we have. This mind I have is absolutely the most amazing thing. If these characters are separate from our own will and have nurel pathways and memory seperate from what we have access to even if using the same matter, are they not alive too? Are they real? What exactly constitutes "real."

Or should I just accept that the spirit world is a real thing. I have always been sure, I have seen to many things, but I my science mind can't help but put up a fight. The layers of reality that underpin this one seem to be full of life as well, and certainly if it exists and there are doors in the deep places of the mind access it, then evolution would select for us to use it if it contains valuable information. It's certainly makes more sense than what I experience as a quirk or side effect of having consciousness. 

I dont know. I'm stuck. I don't think science can answer this. Reductionism and marterialist philosophy which scince is built upon simply could never have the tools to have a full rational explanation. I suppose one day I will either know or cease to know anything at all. I'll either leave my body one last time and engaged the spirit world fully or while I'm gone all the universe will pass away and that will be it. Until then all I can do is marvel. Truely the mind must be natures greatest accomplishment. How deep does the mind go and are there other kinds of minds. I'm leaning toward yes. 

Edited by SeekerWCF
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Interesting post Seeker. I'm with you in believing the complexity of this reality is mindboggling. Just from my own study of the paranormal and many other things I see the inadequacies of the materialist/reduction model to understanding it all. Dramatic things are not known to current science.

Perhaps (that frustrating word 'perhaps) your lucid dream involved creations on the astral plane of  nature. A plane of nature that is real and in dimensions beyond our familiar three. Where is it?  And perhaps even another entity joins the dream.

I do think we have an interpenetrating astral double that separates in sleep.

Edited by papageorge1
  • Like 1

Wow........!!

That Star.. I am curious to know if you have interpreted this as a Personal aspect or something more?

10 hours ago, Professor T said:

Wow........!!

That Star.. I am curious to know if you have interpreted this as a Personal aspect or something more?

Generally intend to interpret dreams by context. Symbolism is so far reaching, but how you feel can be very pointed. During the whole sequence with the ballon eclipsing the star then the subsequent hole and disappearance of the ballon, I was in a state of 1) bewilderment as to how a hole like that can form and the ballon just sort of shrink into nothing. 2) extreme concern for the piolets of the ballon as I watched the basket plumet out of the sky.

I remember haveing the feeling to jump up and help somehow, but recognizing that the only thing I would find is bodies, I didn't. 

I was actually in Napa Valley a few months ago, and there are always hot air balloons in the sky there. I also practice compassion meditations where I amplyfi the feeling of compassion and hold it in place. 

The events of the balloon are sort of a common thing that happens to me while I'm dreaming. My mind naturally starts to try to bring about lucidity , so it seems to signal me with events that will bring me the revelation that I'm dreaming.

On 5/22/2018 at 11:55 PM, papageorge1 said:

Interesting post Seeker. I'm with you in believing the complexity of this reality is mindboggling. Just from my own study of the paranormal and many other things I see the inadequacies of the materialist/reduction model to understanding it all. Dramatic things are not known to current science.

Perhaps (that frustrating word 'perhaps) your lucid dream involved creations on the astral plane of  nature. A plane of nature that is real and in dimensions beyond our familiar three. Where is it?  And perhaps even another entity joins the dream.

I do think we have an interpenetrating astral double that separates in sleep.

I have had thousands of out of body experiences, and I have debated with hundreds of others about it. The standard sequences of vibration then separation are universal to humans. People who have never experienced it before simply can't see that others are not making it up, then when someone experiences it for the first time, they are shocked to the core. The funny ones are the ones who pretend like they have been through it or imagine it happening and think that's is what it is.

A whole lot of skeptical gymnastics has to be done to find a reason why any of this should be happening. Because it's so universal, it's obviously part of the human experience, and indeed the origins of shamanic experience then susequant spirituality and eventually with a lot of other humanity thrown in...religion. 

Considering nearly everything else is a product of natural selection even human behaviors, we run into some actual circumstantial evidence of the nature of this ability we have. There are only two possibilities of why the OBE and the subsequent experience of the spirit world can exist. One is simply that the human is complex and this is a quirk or a glitch of the human mind. An accident or a side affect. Let's face it, there is no survival or other selection process that can really be happening when you are just laying there in a trance, and other ways of acheiving access to the spirit world are down right dangerous. No positive selection there either. 

The other is that it is basically what it appears be. The science of which a mystery, but we not only have a solid reason for the ability to be selected for by nature, we have a vast historical record of this actually being the case. The shaman that uses spirt flight to locate game and medacines. The dream of being visited and warned of danger. The consultation of angels and guides while OOB  or in dreams. All of this is well documented, and currently experienced by humans today. 

There are shamanic cave paintings of what appear to be galaxies. Galaxies cannot be seen with the naked eye. How would a shaman know of their existence? 

I could go on, but I think the evidence is starting to be overwhelming that something deeper is going on than what empiricism cant tell us.

Edited by SeekerWCF
  • Like 3

48 minutes ago, SeekerWCF said:

I could go on, but I think the evidence is starting to be overwhelming that something deeper is going on than what empiricism cant tell us.

Great post. Sounds like you have been around the block with this stuff. And why not? What could be more interesting.

One personal observation I would add is that I believe there are wisdom traditions such as Vedic/Hindu and western esoteric traditions (like Theosophy) that have an amazingly detailed understanding of the universe beyond our three-dimensional physical plane. And all you say and experienced can be seen as just part and parcel of this more complete universal structure. 

Our mainstream science is a great thing but limited in its reach. However, what I don't like is those that let science get too big for its britches (scientism) and I like you debate with these types all the time. 

Edited by papageorge1
  • Like 1