Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

PC Gone Stupid Again....

Piney

I read this yesterday. For one second I imagined being this principle, and what my response to this would be. It was much different then what actually played out.

• Like 3

I don't think it's stupid - I think we're having to reevaluate what "politeness" means.  Back in my childhood, it was "polite" to refer to a Black man as "boy."  "Uncle Tom" was something acceptable.  You, yourself know of many changes like this that happened; changes to which people might shout "hey!  PC and SJW out of control."

1776 was not a particularly good time for many people.  And if we got strict about the interpretation, that would mean anyone other than landed Caucasian males being put in stocks, whipped, etc, etc, etc.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Kenemet said:

I don't think it's stupid - I think we're having to reevaluate what "politeness" means.  Back in my childhood, it was "polite" to refer to a Black man as "boy."  "Uncle Tom" was something acceptable.  You, yourself know of many changes like this that happened; changes to which people might shout "hey!  PC and SJW out of control."

1776 was not a particularly good time for many people.  And if we got strict about the interpretation, that would mean anyone other than landed Caucasian males being put in stocks, whipped, etc, etc, etc.

Civility is necessary to the continued functioning of a unified Republic but when it is being enforced by the government to the extent of removing Liberty or property because of one's WORDS, or worse yet, THOUGHTS... it will inevitably lead to conflict.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Kenemet said:

Uncle Tom is still very popular among some on the left. Happens soon as a black person dares to step outside of group identity. I listen to a couple of black conservatives. Folks call them Uncle Tom all the time.

23 minutes ago, Kenemet said:

Yet many black folks directly benefit today from what happened back then. Why does mentioning anything about this countries (and every other country on the planet) history instantly mean every single thing about that history must be dredged up? No one today is a victim of what happened well over 200 years ago.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

People are just looking for things to be offended by. If they did any research they'd know that there were about 9000 afr-amer soldiers who fought as patriots during the revolutionary war. Not every afr-amer was a slave, though some were slaves who fought with their freedom being their reward for service. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, seanjo said:

I knew there was a good reason why I like you....:D

My mother was born in the UK.:lol:

Before 911 members of the 6 Nations were there own citizens who could freely travel the Commonwealth or the U.S. Afterwards we had to choose a citizenship.....I should of picked the Commonwealth...:yes:

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Kenemet said:

If it weren't for ignorant people who never picked up a book in their life they would know that Uncle Tom was the hero of the story who sacrificed his life to save other black people. 

PARTY LIKE IT'S 1776 BABY!!!!

• Like 9

21 minutes ago, Piney said:

My mother was born in the UK.:lol:

Before 911 members of the 6 Nations were there own citizens who could freely travel the Commonwealth or the U.S. Afterwards we had to choose a citizenship.....I should of picked the Commonwealth...:yes:

There's always a cup of tea waiting for you over here if you change your mind Piney! :lol:

Sadly the PC madness is universal though... <_<

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, LV-426 said:

There's always a cup of tea waiting for you over here if you change your mind Piney! :lol:

I'm on the "Dangerous Dog" list now. No more visa for me. :yes:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OverSword said:

If it weren't for ignorant people who never picked up a book in their life they would know that Uncle Tom was the hero of the story who sacrificed his life to save other black people. 

PARTY LIKE IT'S 1776 BABY!!!!

Yep. Uncle Tom was probably the most misunderstood person in this countries history.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, and then said:

Civility is necessary to the continued functioning of a unified Republic but when it is being enforced by the government to the extent of removing Liberty or property because of one's WORDS, or worse yet, THOUGHTS... it will inevitably lead to conflict.  

I've been thinking that for the past couple years.....and then the snowflakes won't have a "safe space".

• Thanks 1

So let me get this right. 

A school has to apologise for celebrating the year of its Nations founding ? 

Is this really what America has come to ? 

If people are offended by a call to celebrate the nations birth, then they should leave the country and surrender their citizenship. And I'm afraid I have VERY little sympathy for the Principle of this school who should - in my opinion - be relieved of his position, and crowned as "spineless git of the year".

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Piney said:

My Indian family fought for the British during the Revolution and this didn't bother me a bit. :rolleyes:  MORONS!!!!!

http://www.nj.com/camden/index.ssf/2018/05/principal_says_sorry_for_insensitive_words_on_prom.html#incart_river_index

it is not up to you to decide what bothers you and what does not, liberals decide that for you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 5

7 minutes ago, Alaric said:

Can I still party like it’s 1999?

NO!!! I'm sure someone was oppressed that year too. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

My only apology would be for not giving a damn.

• Thanks 1

I may have missed it in the article... but I'm not sure why the invite would have said "party like it's 1776" in the first place on a prom invite? Was the theme of that time period or supposed to otherwise have some sort of reason/theme for that?

Yes I'm old.. but my school years themes were stuff like "under the stars" or "Rivera/Venice waters" sort of drivel... nothing that would prompt a "party like it's 1776" on the ticket.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, preacherman76 said:

Yep. Uncle Tom was probably the most misunderstood person in this countries history.

I thought Uncle Tom was a work of fiction. :huh:

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, rashore said:

I may have missed it in the article... but I'm not sure why the invite would have said "party like it's 1776" in the first place on a prom invite? Was the theme of that time period or supposed to otherwise have some sort of reason/theme for that?

Yes I'm old.. but my school years themes were stuff like "under the stars" or "Rivera/Venice waters" sort of drivel... nothing that would prompt a "party like it's 1776" on the ticket.

The school is in Philadelphia...the cornerstone of our Revolution. It's celebrated and a main tourist attraction for the area.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, aztek said:

it is not up to you to decide what bothers you and what does not, liberals decide that for you.

Wish I could give you a trophy and laugh. So I'll do both!

:lol:

1 minute ago, Michelle said:

The school is in Philadelphia...the cornerstone of our Revolution. It's celebrated and a main tourist attraction for the area.

Good point. I grew up in Wisconsin moo boonies, so patriotic themes for school dances weren't as much of a thing. That was celebrated more at other times. Well then, I guess the "party like it's 1776" comment wouldn't necessarily be out of norm for the area then. Thanks :)

Personally, I skipped prom. Not for a lack of suitors.. rather a lack myself in going to the prom. I was on committees and attended dances freshman and sophomore year. By time senior prom rolled around I just wasn't interested. I had been grinding the books and was done. Instead a bunch of us pooled the resources together to have one heck of a not-prom weekend. No details will follow. :devil::whistle::innocent:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

What a bunch of BS.  So now we must not celebrate any date becAuse a a certain segment of the population had a rough time on that date.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Myles said:

So now we must not celebrate any date becAuse a a certain segment of the population had a rough time on that date.  

Doesn't sound like that'll be a problem for @rashore's "not-prom weekend" :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4