Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Unknown Ska Song

This instrumental Ska song is one of my all-time favourite tunes, and I have been trying to identify it for many years.

It sounds to me like sixties Jamaican Ska, but none of the Music Search apps I've tried can recognize it.

If my link works, please take a listen and help if you can. :tu:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-eHxo8w0x1r7E-cpdUmLceJd8PsMmJnr/view?usp=drivesdk

Edited by acute
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, acute said:

This instrumental Ska song is one of my all-time favourite tunes, and I have been trying to identify it for many years.

It sounds to me like sixties Jamaican Ska, but none of the Music Search apps I've tried can recognize it.

If my link works, please take a listen and help if you can. :tu:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-eHxo8w0x1r7E-cpdUmLceJd8PsMmJnr/view?usp=drivesdk

I can't access it. I guess it's not in "International Waters".

• Sad 1

Oh dear. Maybe it works on Android only.  I've never used Google Drive before. :hmm:

Maybe some kind soul with Google Drive can make it accessible for everyone?

Edited by acute

8 minutes ago, acute said:

Oh dear. Maybe it works on Android only.  I've never used Google Drive before. :hmm:

It said I "didn't have permission". 

12 minutes ago, Piney said:

It said I "didn't have permission". 

Does the link work now? I've changed the settings.

Edited by acute
  • Thanks 1

Works for me, but I'm only about 100 miles north of you :lol:

Just tested it, and it works through this UK proxy if that helps:

https://www.proxyserver.com/uk-proxy-server/

Have no clue what the tune is though. I guess you've already tried Shazam?

• Like 1

Thanks, anyway.

Yeah... I've tried Shazam, AudioTag, Cortana/Google, and another one.

Edited by acute

@acute  Can't help you. It sounds like a little unknown band by the recording quality.

2 minutes ago, Piney said:

@acute  Can't help you. It sounds like a little unknown band by the recording quality.

Thanks for trying. I'm glad you can hear it now anyway.

The quality is not great because it's from an old vinyl EP.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, acute said:

Thanks for trying. I'm glad you can hear it now anyway.

The quality is not great because it's from an old vinyl EP.

Like my Clapton "Live at the Fillmore". The bloody thing will give you tinnitus.:lol:

• Haha 1

It could be from as far back as the 50s. Have you tried looking for early bands? What information is on the EP and why no band name or tune title?

• Like 1

nevermind.

Edited by OverSword

19 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

It could be from as far back as the 50s. Have you tried looking for early bands? What information is on the EP and why no band name or tune title?

As you say, it could be 1950's, but it's in a similar style to 60's tunes featuring Don Drummond.

It was misnamed on the record label as "Beardman Ska" by The Skatalites (meaning 'Beardsman Ska', which it isn't) .

• Like 1

Not a clue. I'm not a ska expert, either. When I think of ska, I usually think of cringey '90s fare like the Bosstones or Authority Zero or stuff like that. That clip could be almost anything. It could be an intrumental by a contemporary artist/band or, as has been said, could be something really old. It actually sounds vaguely familiar, like I've heard that on a PA in a lame mall or something before. But I'm sure it just sounds like stuff I've heard before. I dunno. Find some genre music groups on Facebook with thousands of members and post it and you may get a result pretty quick. If you find out, be sure to update here 'cause I kind of want to know now! :D

• Like 2

The fact that it was on a record with two other 60's Jamaican ska tunes suggests that it's an oldie.

Thanks for the advice, Skulduggery. I will persevere in my mission, and post the result.

• Like 1

I am guessing that it's by The Skatalites, but I've run out of Skatalite tunes to try!