Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Some of the boxes stacked inside anthropologist Molly Zuckerman's laboratory contain full bones—a skull, a jaw, or a leg. Others contain only plastic bags of bone fragments that Zuckerman describes as "grit."

These humble remains are among as many as 7,000 bodies that were buried at Mississippi's former insane asylum, a site that's now on the grounds of the University of Mississippi Medical Center in Jackson. Researchers are planning to exhume the bodies, create a memorial and study them for insight on how mentally ill people and other marginalized populations should be treated today.

The Mississippi State Lunatic Asylum—later renamed the Mississippi State Insane Hospital—operated from 1855 to 1935 and housed up to 35,000 patients from across the state. Patients who died while institutionalized were buried there if relatives didn't claim their bodies.

https://phys.org/news/2018-05-bodies-asylum.html

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

That's a large campus.  Beautiful grounds.  I worked there for a couple of years and had no idea it was so old or had such history.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, and then said:

That's a large campus.  Beautiful grounds.  I worked there for a couple of years and had no idea it was so old or had such history.

Yep lot of fertilizer for the beautiful grounds ! 7000, that's some corpses.

Edited by Jon the frog

Imagine how many died from abuse. Institutions back then were not pleasant...:(

• Like 3

Yeah. ^^^^^^^.  I've heard suggestions that being a patient in certain asylums back then was pure HELL.

Like beatings, rapes, purposefully over-sedating patients, extreme unsanitary conditions, bizzare "secret" experiments not formally allowed, murder "written-off" as suicide, etc...

Edited by pallidin
  • Thanks 1

I heard that some of the asylum staff either were, or became, totally sadistic in this "closed environment"

• Thanks 1