Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

NFL players must stand for the anthem

F3SS

7 minutes ago, susieice said:

I was at a Phillies- Blue Jays game and both anthems were played. The NHL also plays both.

Yes they do. In my opinion there's no need.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

Yes they do. In my opinion there's no need.

Why not? The only reason I can think of is that because it might be offensive and that’s a shame.

National anthems are played, imo, because these sporting events are national past times and are events that gather large to huge amounts of people, communities and societies where everyone is for a short time just an American and/or a Canadian with a common bond where everybody is generally happy and there for a good time. 

Edited by F3SS
Yes I know there may be some foreigners in the mix too but you get my drift.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Patriotism isn't about making everyone stand and salute the flag.

Patriotism is about making this a country where everyone wants to.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, F3SS said:

Why not? The only reason I can think of is that because it might be offensive and that’s a shame.

National anthems are played, imo, because these sporting events are national past times and are events that gather large to huge amounts of people, communities and societies where everyone is for a short time just an American and/or a Canadian with a common bond where everybody is generally happy and there for a good time. 

Patriotism isn't necessarily a bad thing in itself. It's usually a bad thing though when it's forced. I love my country, I just feel uncomfortable when I'm expected to demonstrate it in a crowd.

As to the bolded, should we sing anthems before every large gathering, like concerts, parades, festivals, fairs, etc.? Why just at sporting events?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

Patriotism isn't necessarily a bad thing in itself. It's usually a bad thing though when it's forced. I love my country, I just feel uncomfortable when I'm expected to demonstrate it in a crowd.

As to the bolded, should we sing anthems before every large gathering, like concerts, parades, festivals, fairs, etc.? Why just at sporting events?

In Australia and New Zealand the national anthem is only played for international games. It's a chance to show pride for your side.

I couldn't imagine every rugby game starting with God of Nations. They have enough trouble getting people into stadiums now.

And it's not that we arn't patriotic, it's just that anthems, in general are so incredibly dull.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Likely Guy said:

, I just feel uncomfortable when I'm expected to demonstrate it in a crowd

Why? I'm proud to show my love of this country anytime, anywhere in front of anyone.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Likely Guy said:

Then don’t stand or sing. Nobody is forcing you to do that.

I don’t know why. Maybe because the nature of the events tends to be more structured and able to gather the attention of the crowd.

Patriotism is not a bad thing in general...however America is currently trending into toxic Patriotism territory.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, The Narcisse said:

Patriotism is not a bad thing in general...however America is currently trending into toxic Patriotism territory.

Indeed... .but possibly because there is so much anti-americanism in the US media  (and the universities), and it is generating a backlash ? 

Edited by RoofGardener

15 minutes ago, The Narcisse said:

What exactly is "toxic Patriotism territory"?

• Like 2

Good move by the NFL.  The thread title is wrong though.  The players have a choice.  They are allowed to stay in the locker room.  

9 hours ago, Likely Guy said:

Then you should have the option of participating or not. In response to what Kismet said, an American- Canadian baseball or hockey game is an international event and both anthems are played. Thanks to my big brothers, it's how I learned the Canadian National Anthem. It is a good move to allow the players a choice. 

Edited by susieice

9 hours ago, Kismit said:

In Australia and New Zealand the national anthem is only played for international games. It's a chance to show pride for your side.

I couldn't imagine every rugby game starting with God of Nations. They have enough trouble getting people into stadiums now.

And it's not that we arn't patriotic, it's just that anthems, in general are so incredibly dull.

Everything in moderation, including the (any) anthem. If one uses something too often it loses on significants.

How about the anthem at the first game of season and at the last game? 

1 hour ago, Myles said:

Good move by the NFL.  The thread title is wrong though.  The players have a choice.  They are allowed to stay in the locker room.  

They also have a choice to kneel...it just comes with a fine.  At least 1 owner said he would pay the fine for his players.

• Like 1

"You have to stand proudly for the National Anthem or you shouldn't be playing. You shouldn't be there. Maybe you shouldn't be in the country," Trump said.

What a pig.  That shows complete disregard for the Constitution.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/24/politics/trump-nfl-national-anthem/index.html

Edited by Agent0range

3 hours ago, F3SS said:

Speak for yourself. Our anthem isn’t dull.

Lol, speak for yourself. Cause I sure think it is.

3 hours ago, skliss said:

What exactly is "toxic Patriotism territory"?

I'd say when it crosses the line into Nationalism.

dcb9079c-e8b0-4aa3-96f2-20f3b4335e6c.jpg

Just now, Aquila King said:

Patriotism is about making this a country where everyone wants to.

i sure do not want this country to go anywhere close to where you want it to go.

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, aztek said:

i sure do not want this country to go anywhere close to where you want it to go.

And thus you should be free to protest all you like. I wouldn't ever take that freedom away from you.

Nothing new here.

Liberals aren't patriotic and conservatives are.

Why is that? They have no problem suckling at the teat of America when it fits their needs.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, aztek said:

no, you show complete disregard for 1st amendment, it is his opinion, he has every right to voice it., or is it only you that has that right?

The President of the United States SHOULD NOT say that people should be kicked out of the country for exercising their First Amendment rights.  If Obama said that anyone who owns a gun should be kicked out of the country, you would have a fit.  It's the FIRST amendment for a reason.

• Like 2

Just now, Agent0range said:

The President of the United States SHOULD NOT say that people should be kicked out of the country for exercising their First Amendment rights.  If Obama said that anyone who owns a gun should be kicked out of the country, you would have a fit.  It's the FIRST amendment for a reason.

he should not actually kick them out of the country, but he can say any damn thing he likes, you are absolutely correct, it is FIRST amendment for a reason

Edited by aztek

15 minutes ago, aztek said:

he should not actually kick them out of the country, but he can say any damn thing he likes, you are absolutely correct, it is FIRST amendment for a reason

Trump is NOT a private citizen.  Like I have done four times in my life, Trump raised his right hand and vowed to support and defend the Constitution of the United States.  Saying that peacefully protesting Americans should not be in the country is a direct violation of that oath.  

• Like 1