Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

NFL players must stand for the anthem

F3SS

3 minutes ago, CrimsonKing said:

Nah,been a rise of Aussie kickers in recent years...

Also a couple of Kiwi's, I wonder how they feel about having to stand for an anthem that is not theirs.

I guess the Pavlov effect will sort it out eventually.

9 minutes ago, Essan said:

I guess most of us outside of the USA and North Korea find this all a bit bizarre.   In other countries, sports teams comprise of people from many nations who strive and work together (are only US citizens allowed to play NFL?)  And we don't have such insecurites that we have to sing our national anthem at every opportunity or get offended if someone chooses not to.

Our sports players often make political stateents.  Most recently we had teams who wore rainbow coloured laces and a change was made to the all blacks uniform to include rainbow effects to show inclusiveness after a homophobic Facebook rant by one rugby player.

• Like 2

Just now, Kismit said:

Also a couple of Kiwi's, I wonder how they feel about having to stand for an anthem that is not theirs.

I guess the Pavlov effect will sort it out eventually.

Our sports players often make political stateents.  Most recently we had teams who wore rainbow coloured laces and a change was made to the all blacks uniform to include rainbow effects to show inclusiveness after a homophobic Facebook rant by one rugby player.

As most grown folks do,they probably don't care one way or the other...

I think the "All Blacks" need to change their name as some could find it offensive!

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, CrimsonKing said:

As most grown folks do,they probably don't care one way or the other...

I think the "All Blacks" need to change their name as some could find it offensive!

It has been said before. I think the All blacks need to keep thier name and not pander to racist symbolism. But that is another debate for a separate thread.

Just for interest the name comes from the original team who did not have enough money for uniforms. Everyone owned a pair of black shorts and a black singlet. So they wore that. The name symbolizes the ability to get involved with out excuses.

American's have even been known to find the names of our coffee racist, short blacks, and flat whites. 

It can be difficult for us foreigners who don't live in the free land.

30 minutes ago, CrimsonKing said:

I refer you to the New Zealand badminton team I mentioned in a recent post :lol:

"The Kiwi badminton team name was 'The Black Cocks', but after a year, had to change it due to complaints."

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

19 minutes ago, LV-426 said:

I refer you to the New Zealand badminton team I mentioned in a recent post :lol:

"The Kiwi badminton team name was 'The Black Cocks', but after a year, had to change it due to complaints."

Actually it was a nickname designed to garner publicity. Looks like it is still working.:tu:

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Kismit said:

It has been said before. I think the All blacks need to keep thier name and not pander to racist symbolism. But that is another debate for a separate thread.

Just for interest the name comes from the original team who did not have enough money for uniforms. Everyone owned a pair of black shorts and a black singlet. So they wore that. The name symbolizes the ability to get involved with out excuses.

American's have even been known to find the names of our coffee racist, short blacks, and flat whites. 

It can be difficult for us foreigners who don't live in the free land.

For the record,i really don't give a damn about their name :lol:

My comment was in jest at the absolute silliness of our current cultural and political enviroment!...

Cool background story on the name though :tu:

That said,you not being able to be so easily offended though could get your lefty lucy card revoked with the quickness around these parts! ;)

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, LV-426 said:

That is funny as hell lmao :rofl:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CrimsonKing said:

For the record,i really don't give a damn about their name :lol:

My comment was in jest at the absolute silliness of our current cultural and political enviroment!...

Cool background story on the name though :tu:

That said,you not being able to be so easily offended though could get your lefty lucy card revoked with the quickness around these parts! ;)

I'm an ambidextrous politic.  :yes:

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Myles said:

Good move by the NFL.  The thread title is wrong though.  The players have a choice.  They are allowed to stay in the locker room.  

I did include it in the subtitle.

7 hours ago, aztek said:

so what?? we do play it, other countries can do whatever they want.

You also don't metricize.

Edit: The metric system, why hasn't the US accepted that? :huh:

Edited by Likely Guy

13 hours ago, Kismit said:

I wonder how they feel about having to stand for an anthem that is not theirs

A) I always stand when they play the other countries anthem, out of respect for them. B ) For the money they make in the NFL, they should stand.

Edited by skliss
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 5/25/2018 at 6:20 AM, skliss said:

I always stand when they play the other countries anthem, out of respect for them.

I do the same with religions too...from Pagans to Muslims.

• Like 1

Why do I feel like the entire politics section of the forum, is one big propaganda machine?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Why do I feel like the entire politics section of the forum, is one big propaganda machine?

Where do you think people get their information from these days? 

Investigative Journalism is dead except for places like Veritas, and they are called every name in the book by the Establishment's mouthpieces... what we call the mainstream media.

Things have been headed this way for years, and people are only just noticing? 

As for this case; Por Athletes are nothing but paid entertainers. They were looking at a 20% reduction in pay because of the downturn in viewership during this last year. 

This ruling will be b****ed about, but the players have to be very relieved to have an excuse to give up a very expensive little habit. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 5/23/2018 at 3:17 PM, F3SS said:

The people have spoken. 

Funny how no one is talking about the fact the the author of the "star spangled banner" was a raging racist lol. Oh well , I guess that fact only matters to people with an actual conscience.

1 hour ago, 3rdeyemansa24 said:

Funny how no one is talking about the fact the the author of the "star spangled banner" was a raging racist lol. Oh well , I guess that fact only matters to people with an actual conscience.

I didn't know that.   It really doesn't matter to me.    I also would not stop using a computer if I found out it was invented by a racist.  

1 minute ago, Myles said:

I didn't know that.   It really doesn't matter to me.    I also would not stop using a computer if I found out it was invented by a racist.  

Indeed it was , the author Francis Scott Key is his name, and he wrote openly about his racism towards nonwhites. The 3rd verse of star spangled banner had to be removed due to racist implications it made towards black people . Look up the "3rd verse" and you'll see why they removed it. Being forced to stand for a song written by someone who openly hated you isn't the same as using a computer lol nice try though.

• Confused 1

And where is that band who so vauntingly swore,
That the havoc of war and the battle’s confusion
A home and a Country should leave us no more?
Their blood has wash’d out their foul footstep’s pollution.
No refuge could save the hireling and slave
From the terror of flight or the gloom of the grave,
And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave
O’er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

the way i see it another case of "dog whistle" see absolutely nothing racist here

Edited by aztek

Just now, Myles said:

i'm jewish and i own bmw. lease actually but it's irrelevant.

Edited by aztek

On 5/23/2018 at 6:36 PM, Piney said:

I don't think they should have to stay in the locker room though. I think they should be fired.........

Most college teams stay in the locker room until after the anthem. I believe the pros did too until fairly recently.

3 hours ago, 3rdeyemansa24 said:

Well apparently nobody knows except people turning over every rock they see looking for ways to be offended. The anthem is not a racist tune. If it were, everybody would already know what you know, enlightened one. 

• Like 5