Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

NFL players must stand for the anthem

F3SS

The people have spoken. 

NFL owners have unanimously approved a new national anthem policy that requires players to stand if they are on the field during the performance but gives them the option to remain in the locker room if they prefer, it was announced Wednesday.

The policy subjects teams to a fine if a player or any other team personnel do not show respect for the anthem. That includes any attempt to sit or kneel, as dozens of players have done during the past two seasons to protest racial inequality and police brutality. Those teams also will have the option to fine any team personnel, including players, for the infraction.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/23582533/nfl-owners-approve-new-national-anthem-policy

• Like 5

I don't think they should have to stay in the locker room though. I think they should be fired.........

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I hear ya but the situation is what it is and I think staying in the locker room is a pretty fair deal at this point although the whole mention of the anthem at sporting events will be forever awkward depending on who’s around you so that still sucks but whatever. What we’ve really seen here is free market capitalism at work. As big and powerful as the NFL is the people, their customers, have won the day.

My position is that they should either do away with the National Anthem before games OR require standing with helmet removed. As they tell the fans to please rise and remove your hats. I would support players being suspended for X number of games for violation of this policy.

WHY? Because people don't pay money to watch people making political statements that they may or may not want to see. The players have the right to make whatever statements or involvements in their off work time. Any private business has the right to not allow political statements in the workplace. Company loyalty and fan/team loyalty is seriously disrupted as soon as you bring controversial religious/political/social stuff into the workplace.

This new rule is too wimpy and shows a lack of balls by the NFL! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I just think if you are ON THE JOB, you represent your employer for that length of time. When I was military or later a cop, I could not just do whatever I wanted in uniform. Off the job I could. 

It is no different for these guys, IMO. 

• Like 6

When ratings fell 10% from last year this was bound to happen.

It's about time!

• Like 4

Good call! Now if they could omit politics from most every other form of entertainment.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, F3SS said:

I hear ya but the situation is what it is and I think staying in the locker room is a pretty fair deal at this point although the whole mention of the anthem at sporting events will be forever awkward depending on who’s around you so that still sucks but whatever. What we’ve really seen here is free market capitalism at work. As big and powerful as the NFL is the people, their customers, have won the day.

I am customer and I don't feel I've won as I stated above. Giving fines to the uber-rich is my idea of a pathetic token move.

• Like 1

Given that the DoD gives millions to the NFL, it is a little naive to think that politics only recently became a part of sports.

Paid patriotism.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

I am customer and I don't feel I've won as I stated above. Giving fines to the uber-rich is my idea of a pathetic token move.

Do we know what the fines are? I’m sure a player or two will go for the fine but when they fine the team and make the team look bad, well I think this rule will have the desired effect. People don’t really need to be fired over this stuff but they do need to cut it out.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, F3SS said:

Do we know what the fines are? I’m sure a player or two will go for the fine but when they fine the team and make the team look bad, well I think this rule will have the desired effect. People don’t really need to be fired over this stuff but they do need to cut it out.

The NFL is fining teams not players.

18 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

The NFL is fining teams not players.

Oh I thought it said teams or players. That’s even better since the team won’t stand for one player getting everybody into trouble too many times.

• Like 1

Before the government started paying the NFL into shoving support for wars down our throats the players were never on the field until after the national anthem was played.  This is how it should be.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Michelle said:

Good call! Now if they could omit politics from most every other form of entertainment.

I'd pay good money to be there when they broke that news to the Hollywood crowd :tsu:

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Michelle said:

Including this one? ;)

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

Including this one? ;)

At least on this one I'm only exposed when I want to be. :P

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

Including this one? ;)

Brilliant idea LG...now where is that 10 thumbs up emoji :huh:

I think this whole board would be better off without the US politics section,seems to be the only section anyone is interested in talking politics anyway...sure as hell would make for a friendlier enviroment!:tu:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Michelle said:

At least on this one I'm only exposed when I want to be. :P

No one's forced to attend a or watch a football game either.

In my simplistic opinion, anthems should only be played at championship games or on national holiday weekends.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Likely Guy said:

It's difficult to get away from. I haven't watched an award show in years. Talk shows have gotten so political I also quit watching them. Luckily, we get reruns of the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson. If he did talk politics at all he gave it to both sides equally. He had class.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Michelle said:

It's difficult to get away from. I haven't watched an award show in years. Talk shows have gotten so political I also quit watching them. Luckily, we get reruns of the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson. If he did talk politics at all he gave it to both sides equally. He had class.

Good points, maybe that's why my TV set hasn't been connected to the outside world in over 10 years.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

Good points, maybe that's why my TV set hasn't been connected to the outside world in over 10 years.

Food Network is my safe space. :lol:

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Michelle said:

Food Network is my safe space. :lol:

I miss Bob Villa :lol:

Those rubes on the diy network are more "reality" tv based than bobs old "hardcore" get that s*** built style lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, CrimsonKing said:

I miss Bob Villa :lol:

Those rubes on the diy network are more "reality" tv based than bobs old "hardcore" get that s*** built style lol

Some of their surprise "makeovers" would make me want to smack them up side the head. You got me all excited for this??? :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, CrimsonKing said:

I miss Bob Villa

Haha yeah I grew up watching Home Improvement... Good times. 

Regarding the OP I think it'd send a stronger message for the players who feel a particular way to articulate their thoughts in an open letter/essay style message. I've no problem with healthy open discussion. However I hate it when people walk on the flag during protests and/or complain about how terrible the USA is, seriously just ****ing leave if you have it so bad. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Likely Guy said:

In my simplistic opinion, anthems should only be played at championship games or on national holiday weekends.

I was at a Phillies- Blue Jays game and both anthems were played. The NHL also plays both.