Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Most Popular Passwords

Space Commander Travis

This is quite interesting .. Is yours on the list? Most popular passwords of 2017 are revealed, and they are incredibly easy to crack (I know it's the Daily Mail, but that need not be a reason to question its truthfulness.) 

Dr Wang said: 'It is difficult for humans to memorise unique passwords for the 150+ accounts the average person has.

150+ accounts?! 

But seriously, how on earth are you expected to remember these "passwords" that they urge you (often even compel you to) come up with, these things that insist "you must have at least eight characters, including punctuation marks and digits and stuff, and must not bear any resemblance to any word that you might possibly be able to remember", so after trying eight different things that are rejected as a "weak password" you end up hitting the keyboard in sheer rage and end up with something like uyerr@!*&FHRYG62!645 . And they then say that you must not write it down anywhere and you must use a different password for every one of your 150+ accounts. Are they or are they not having a laugh? 

• Like 3

My sister was having her internet 'borrowed' by her next-door neighbour, so she asked me to change her WiFi password.

After I changed it to something that would've taken a Password Cracker twenty years to hack, she complained that visitors were whingeing about how difficult the new password was to type in!

Edited by acute
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

As an intellectual :yes: I have developed a password system that uses a template that is varied according to the website and function. And, for all the accounts that don't hold any personal information, I use one password for all.

Fingers crossed, but it seems to work.

Edited by acute
  • Like 1

"What's the code?"

"1,2,3,4,5,6,"

"That sounds like the code on my luggage!"

Spaceballs

Best practice is to use complex alphanumeric passwords and write them down I'd say.

I know it flies in the face of conventional wisdom, but as long as you use common sense, i.e. don't stick a label with the password on it to the front of your iPad...

Keep the passords somewhere safe, e.g. where you'd keep other valuables such as passports, important documents, etc.

If you're really paranoid, you can write down a complex password then memorize a simple word to attach to it.

The thing to remember is that your computer is probably the weakest part of your home security, and the most likely to be attacked. So weak passwords for the sake of memorability are a bad idea. Any cracker worth their salt will tell you that simple word lists are the easiest way to crack passwords.

Of course it varies. I'd use 12 random alphanumeric characters mimimum for any site where you enter personal information. You can even memorize these if you use them often enough.

Random sites that you have to sign up for forums, downloads, etc. it's not so important.

These days there are many other considerations too, such as sites remembering passwords so you don't have to keep retyping them, using sites across multiple devices, fingerprint technology replacing passwords on smart devices, etc.

• Like 1

When I was 20, I created and memorized 5 unique combinations of very random numbers and letters (all exceeding 15 digits). I've used the same five for everything since and never got hacked. And, if I forget a password for something, I just go down the list till I put the right one in. Easy stuff.

Oh, there's also a specific password for low-security stuff, too. That's always a good thing.

km14132mt5ampt4am - I've used this password when I was little and it means my mom is good at math and my dad isn't.

Popular passwords would be like - "password, 123456, abc123, qwerty, ninjacatdog, etc" I don't know.

Most popular password is "password" as far as I know. I still see it in use all the time lol