Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Airmen working with nukes on LSD

OverSword

The security of the US nuclear arsenal once lay in the hands of a few young men warped on hallucinogenic drugs. Records obtained by AP show that troops at a high-security nuke base in Wyoming bought, distributed, and used LSD.

After an airman made a social media post of himself smoking a joint, Air Force investigators were on the case, and eventually disciplined 14 airmen, convicting six of LSD use, distribution, or both.

“Although this sounds like something from a movie, it isn’t,” said Captain Charles Grimsley, one of the lead prosecutors.

The men were part of the 90th Missile Wing, and were stationed at F.E. Warren Air Force Base, just outside Cheyenne, Wyoming. The wing operates one-third of the 400 Minuteman 3 nuclear missiles that sit ready and waiting for war in silos scattered across the US’ empty Great Plains region.

When they weren’t safeguarding the US’ most powerful weapons, the men would gather to take LSD, cocaine, and ecstasy, sometimes on base.

source

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, OverSword said:

That's terrible. They should have drunk themselves blind instead, like good American Servicemen.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Who was selling the nukes LSD?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, aztek said:

at least they were not smoking weed

From the OP

After an airman made a social media post of himself smoking a joint

Not that it makes a difference. I am not anti pot. 

I would just prefer to know those in and around these incredibly dangerous wmd's are responsible at all times

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Just now, Kismit said:

From the OP

Not that it makes a difference. I am not anti pot.

I would just prefer to know those in and around these incredibly dangerous wmd's are responsible at all times

lol, thanks, i missed that.

but that means if the idiot did not post it, it would not be uncovered.

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, aztek said:

lol, thanks, i missed that.

but that means if the idiot did not post it, it would not be uncovered.

Idiot's tend to stand out.

Well, the good news is that they were doing it while off duty.  Bunch of E-3's doing stupid things doesn't surprise me though.  They are barely old enough to drink.  I am somewhat surprised at how lax the personnel readiness program has fallen.  One would think that those in charge of nukes would have to undergo regular checks.  Heck, I remember when just having high debt would raise a red flag on your clearance.

• Thanks 1

Dude .... if you'd work on those damn things sober, you are a better man than I, Gunga Din.

• Haha 4

10 hours ago, aztek said:

at least they were not smoking weed

You never know... I knew an US Air Force captain that was quietly given a regular (not bad conduct) discharge because it turned out he had been smokin’ the reefer the whole time he was running the tightest ordnance loading team in the service (one their group’s responsibilities was loading nuclear warheads on B1’s).

He didn’t get busted until they went and changed the tests to Gas Chromatograph/ Mass Spectrometry (which are a lot harder to fool) and he wasn’t able to get enough lead time to figure something out.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

That's terrible. They should have drunk themselves blind instead, like good American Servicemen.

I’ve always found heavy drinking to be extremely debilitating... sometimes for days after. Most of us have probably been there, hung over and still not quite 100% three days later :wacko:

• Like 1

“You see, I think drugs have done some good things for us. I really do. And if you don't believe drugs have done good things for us, do me a favor. Go home tonight. Take all your albums, all your tapes and all your CDs and burn them. 'Cause you know what, the musicians that made all that great music that's enhanced your lives throughout the years were rrreal f’in high on drugs. The Beatles were so f’in high they let Ringo sing a few tunes.”

Bill Hicks

https://m.ranker.com/list/discoveries-made-by-people-on-drugs/swiperight?var=7&utm_expid=16418821-412.cSH-_6k9TBysQ-2_o_7ncg.2

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Maybe so, about music, for a while...but eventually high use will kill creativity. Case in point, Aerosmith. There were very low addiction years, for them where not only they couldn't produce anything new, but the record companies wouldn't sponsor them to tour until they finally agreed to take that drug that makes you violently ill if you indulge. Once they were addiction free they started producing music again. It's the band's that either moderated or got off drugs altogether that stand the test of time.

As for the soldier....sounds like they need more to occupy them in Wyoming to stave off boredom. A bunch of young guys with time on their hands will find something dumb to do. But, pot around nukes is one thing....LSD quite another. 

• Like 2

everything in moderation, drugs create new neural connection in your brain, thus make you think the way you did not before.

music is not the only thing, art as well,  from paintings to theater, and movies.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, skliss said:

Maybe so, about music, for a while...but eventually high use will kill creativity. Case in point, Aerosmith. There were very low addiction years, for them where not only they couldn't produce anything new, but the record companies wouldn't sponsor them to tour until they finally agreed to take that drug that makes you violently ill if you indulge. Once they were addiction free they started producing music again. It's the band's that either moderated or got off drugs altogether that stand the test of time.

As for the soldier....sounds like they need more to occupy them in Wyoming to stave off boredom. A bunch of young guys with time on their hands will find something dumb to do. But, pot around nukes is one thing....LSD quite another. 

Oh, you can definitely be too high... and Aerosmith definitely went that way for a few years there... or you could be like Keith Richards and shrug off enough drugs to stupefy a zombie :lol:

Wasn’t in Wyoming, that particular story is from when I lived on an island in the Pacific... plenty of R&R type things to do around that place. I’m quite sure there wasn’t any pot around the nukes... but it wasn’t for a lack of other trouble to get into.

41 minutes ago, Alaric said:

Oh, you can definitely be too high... and Aerosmith definitely went that way for a few years there... or you could be like Keith Richards and shrug off enough drugs to stupefy a zombie :lol:

Wasn’t in Wyoming, that particular story is from when I lived on an island in the Pacific... plenty of R&R type things to do around that place. I’m quite sure there wasn’t any pot around the nukes... but it wasn’t for a lack of other trouble to get into.

And the Stones had some lean creative years....Once Keith and the boys hit their lowest lows they kicked the drugs and came back...same as Ozzy...heh I read somewhere they were doing studies on Ozzy and Alice Cooper to see why their bodies stood ip to abuses that would have killed most people.

Sorry, I thought it said Wyoming! I assumed they were bored and experimenting...lol

That's some scary stuff.  LSD lasts an extremely long time.  So, even if they were frequently taking it on their off hours, it wouldn't surprise me if they were coming to work with some lingering effects at times.  In my experience, one is generally a bit spacey and feels slightly altered for at least a day or two after having taken it.  Definitely not something one would want to mess around with if they had to show up at such a high-stakes job anytime in the near future.  I think all drugs should be legal, but people working in such critical life or death type jobs like that shouldn't be using them.  

• Like 2

I have a distant relative, who was apparently an MP on one of these bases, and I've heard some stories through the grape vine that seem to support this culture of crazy boredom on these missile sites. However, if these folks are caught misbehaving, they are quickly terminated or relocated, is the other part of the story, I've heard.  So it may not be as bad as it sounds. Crazy on these types of installations is not tolerated.

• Thanks 1

Tripping with the weight of the world on your shoulders. Holy smokes! 

I heard an inebriated Aerosmith tale a while back. In the early 80’s the band was sitting around trying to come up with some music and a song came on the radio to which Steven Tyler took a liking to, said how much he liked the sound of that song to which Joe Perry exclaimed “that’s our song you f’n ahole!”