Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

New tests cast doubt on 'impossible' EmDrive

UM-Bot

The laws of physics have a nasty habit of dashing hopes.

• Like 4

Sounds like a job for Elon Musk; build a prototype, launch the darn thing and find out.

• Like 1

Test it in space. Far enough out from the earth's magnetic field. Use conventional propulsion to get it out there, then fire it up. Doesn't seem too hard, considering all the other things we've done. (Roadster in space?)
Also, when something works/is observed to work; yet is called a

The sun has a magnetic field. Just build a bigger lighter more powerful drive and use it as a rudder for a light sail ship while in its sphere of influence.

I like how researchers are testing this device in an effort to exclude (or include) normal but faint interactions with the electromagnetic environment.

Like other's above have stated, somehow this device needs to be tested in a more controlled environment in order to understand and quantify (if that's the correct term) the earlier results.

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, pallidin said:

Like other's above have stated, somehow this device needs to be tested in a more controlled environment in order to understand and quantify (if that's the correct term) the earlier results.

This IS a controlled environment. What do you think would be more controlled than a laboratory? Space?

• Like 1

What about having two Em drives together but harnessed to each other in a way that cancel each other out electromagnetically? Leaving just the E force?

1 hour ago, Seti42 said:

Test it in space. Far enough out from the earth's magnetic field. Use conventional propulsion to get it out there, then fire it up. Doesn't seem too hard, considering all the other things we've done. (Roadster in space?)
Also, when something works/is observed to work; yet is called a

Really, really, monumentally bad idea.

There are so many factors in space that the scientists can not influence it would be impossible to tell if any movement was a result of the EM Drive or external factors. The same would go for a negative effect, Did it fail to move because the EM Drive doesn't work or because of external factors.

In other words any results would be totally ambiguous and meaningless. The only way to get unequivocal, meaningful results is in a controlled, laboratory environment where external effects can be measured and/or eliminated.

• Like 1

Yeah but a lab is in a gravity well. Also you could be dealing with an undiscovered medium. One extremely weak and fine. Put an electric model boat engine in a vaccum and it goes nowhere because the blades have no medium to interact with. The EM drive however can interact with the medium (somehow). Once you understand the water you're playing with you can build a better boat engine. I say chuck it in space now as it is and just watch what it does.

10 minutes ago, cyclopes500 said:

Yeah but a lab is in a gravity well.

And so is everywhere in the galaxy.

Also you could be dealing with an undiscovered medium.

And that's less likely in space? You must be joking.

I say chuck it in space now as it is and just watch what it does.

You have absolutely no idea how scientific investigations work. You would spend waste a huge amount of money and achieve nothing at all. Thankfully the EM drive is being examined by people that DO understand science.

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf
typo.
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

For some reason I don't think humans are going to make it to far past our own world.

I totally agree. I don't think anyone out there has, either. Now...super sophisticated AI, probes, and robots/AL (Artificial Life)...That's possible, IMO. In fact, I've thought for ages that the classic 'grey' aliens, UFOs, etc. could totally be engineered devices sent out to explore. Like our Mars rovers, but centuries more advanced. And made by a culture that's stable enough to wait hundreds of years for data transmissions.

Either that's the real future of deep space exploration, or we'll all be dead, so who cares?

The Trekkies are going to be devastated ...

~

• Haha 1

Nope. Humans are too heavy. Send a much lighter white lab cat instead. They'll definitely go further.

The white lab rats ain't gonna be happy about that either ...

~

Not only is the Universe stranger than we think, it is stranger than we can think. ~Werner Heisenberg

• Like 1

being the dreamer I am I keep hoping that we find or develop something that works as  faster than light propulsion. I personally do not believe we know it all and keep hoping. but being the pessimist I am I know that it will not happen in my lifetime, If it happens at all . But if it manages to get us out of the atmosphere faster with fewer chemicals needed to do so that is one step closer.......

I thought this site was for dreamers of the unexplained, not some person bashing people for their creative idea's with his\her "apparently" extensive science knowledge. I would much rather read the idea's people throw out positively and discuss the possibilities. Not negative crap, quoting other's, then trying to bully your facts on them to make yourself seem smarter. I rarely post, but I read here a lot, and I would like for more positive comments after people's idea's. Instead of just trying to put them down with your idea of what's right or wrong. Be open people, I love all the different theories and idea's on all news\subjects here.

• Like 1

I was reading up about solar sails and magnetic sails last night. I was wondering if they could put the magnetic sail in the solar sail material and use the two together. Like sails and steam engines were at sea years ago. Also I've wondered whether an ion engine can be combined with a rail gun. The ion engine i picture works in pulses, the charged Xenon cloud travels down what looks a bit like a circular polarised Yagi ariel, as it passes through the coils, each coil switches on and pushes the cloud further and faster.

[] =0_0_0_0_0_0_0_0_0_0

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, cyclopes500 said:

I was reading up about solar sails and magnetic sails last night. I was wondering if they could put the magnetic sail in the solar sail material and use the two together. Like sails and steam engines were at sea years ago. Also I've wondered whether an ion engine can be combined with a rail gun. The ion engine i picture works in pulses, the charged Xenon cloud travels down what looks a bit like a circular polarised Yagi ariel, as it passes through the coils, each coil switches on and pushes the cloud further and faster.

[] =0_0_0_0_0_0_0_0_0_0

Magleval would be better than a railgun. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, third_eye said:

The Trekkies are going to be devastated ...

~

Trekkers if you please!:alien:

• Haha 1

I'm not saying the Germans are wrong, but like the Swiss, if it's not invented here, it's wrong! I've had too many of my ideas pooh-poohed over the years only to show as a claim in their patents later.