Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Count to Five

SSilhouette

Has anyone ever noticed on the many ghost shows and other media where hunters ask the ghost to manifest, before a knock or other manifestation happens, it takes about 5 seconds.  I've been timing these for some time now and it almost never fails.  A hunter will ask something like "if you are with us, knock on the wall"...one...two...three...four...five... *knock knock*. 

24 minutes ago, SSilhouette said:

Has anyone ever noticed on the many ghost shows and other media where hunters ask the ghost to manifest, before a knock or other manifestation happens, it takes about 5 seconds.  I've been timing these for some time now and it almost never fails.  A hunter will ask something like "if you are with us, knock on the wall"...one...two...three...four...five... *knock knock*. 

Because all of it's staged. They've probably got a handbook on how to fake the paranormal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SSilhouette said:

LOL! :lol:  *It can't be a coincidence*   :lol:

• Like 1

Yeah, it's best to take these shows as entertainment only.

• Like 2

I'm assuming that people are not consulting a handbook when these things happen.  If it were being faked all the time, the times would be random.  The likelihood that every ghost hunting show has consulted with others before and after it for the "count to five" thing is really out there.  That would be harder to believe actually.  I, therefore, think it's worth discussing as if it were real.  If you're a hardened skeptic, oh, never mind.

Anyone else?

I'm assuming that people are not consulting a handbook when these things happen.  If it were being faked all the time, the times would be random.  The likelihood that every ghost hunting show has consulted with others before and after it for the "count to five" thing is really out there.  That would be harder to believe actually.  I, therefore, think it's worth discussing as if it were real.  If you're a hardened skeptic, oh, never mind.

Anyone else?

For the most part I am one who doesn't think the better ghost shows just make things up. But on this five second thing I am wondering if it is time for the entity to build up energy from the environment (creating a cold spot, draining a battery, etc.).

Another thing to consider is even if these sounds legitimately occurred, the shows are edited for drama and they might feel that five seconds is a right suspense period for TV. 

• Like 1

I, therefore, think it's worth discussing as if it were real. 

Tell me something..(hypothetically speaking of course)

If ghosts do indeed knock, how would they do this since they are not in physical form. It usually takes knuckles or fists to knock or pound on something.

You know, I could close my eyes right now and listen for knocks, creaks etc at home. I can also guarantee that I'll hear them, no doubt due to drafts, creaky doors / cupboards, wooden floor boards (although I have tiles) banging blinds etc etc etc...

I would observe that it is exactly the same delay used in quiz games*, where they hold off on showing the right answer for one-two-three-four-five seconds to build drama.  Any longer and the audience will get sick of being played, any shorter and they will need to add content, which costs money...

The only explanation has to be paranormal.

* - Yes, I'm talking about you, "The Chase" - the delays are painful and, frankly, stupid.

PS - As an aside, any other Ozzies watching 'Thinktank' on the ABC?  They don't use quite as long - it seems to have got shorter as the show has found its feet.  Paul McDermott seems to have now 'found his persona' after an awkward start, and I'm really enjoying the humor in that show.

Sorry.. End of derail...

17 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

For the most part I am one who doesn't think the better ghost shows just make things up. But on this five second thing I am wondering if it is time for the entity to build up energy from the environment (creating a cold spot, draining a battery, etc.).

Another thing to consider is even if these sounds legitimately occurred, the shows are edited for drama and they might feel that five seconds is a right suspense period for TV. 

But I doubt that there is a handbook for "edited for drama" that says "thou shalt wait 5 seconds".  Anyway, I agree with you.  I think that amount of time the spirit is drawing energy from the environment because for a non-physical energy form to act in the physical world, it would take energy to do so.  Mass is energy of course, condensed.  To act in the world of mass (the one we're used to as living beings), you'd need more energy to condense your astral body such that it could manipulate objects of mass, or sound and the like.  If you think about it, ghosts who can manifest objects moving and the like are quite talented.  I imagine if it was easy to do, we'd be in a world of dukie with all the spirits floating around, theoretically, if ghost hunters are right.  We'd have to wear hard hats and ballistic safety gear all the time.  lol.

Edited by SSilhouette
  • Like 1

I'm not saying the knocks are legitimate....but you can't have a show where the hunters ask for a knock 45 times, it takes an hour to get a response and expect your audience to stay tuned.

• Like 1

They're called "shows" for a reason. You got nuthin to show, ya got no show.

One of the reasons..IMO...that the show(there it is again) Ghost Hunters starting bringing in special "guest hunters" like Cm Punk, and The Rear Housewives of Atlanta, lol. Jason realized that adding an 'entertainment" aspect to the show was probably a better option that the out-n-out manufacturing of evidence to keep interest in the "show", even though I believe they got pinched for doing that, as well.

As for the 5 second rule, I believe that only officially applies to food dropped on the floor, lol.

On 5/24/2018 at 8:47 PM, Astra. said:

Tell me something..(hypothetically speaking of course)

If ghosts do indeed knock, how would they do this since they are not in physical form. It usually takes knuckles or fists to knock or pound on something.

You know, I could close my eyes right now and listen for knocks, creaks etc at home. I can also guarantee that I'll hear them, no doubt due to drafts, creaky doors / cupboards, wooden floor boards (although I have tiles) banging blinds etc etc etc...

I think all these seances are faked, but that said, I know "poltergeist activity" happens.

I just think it's displaced psychokinetic energy. 

Someone is on trauma overload and that's how they're blowing off emotional steam. 

• Like 1