Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Civically is this a good idea?

ellapenella

Andrew Gov. Cuomo’s Parole Board sprang three-time cop-killerand formerly unapologetic black revolutionary Herman Bell from his life sentence in prison. Now the governor has pardoned him.

Bell’s despicable crimes are all too familiar by now: He ruthlessly slaughtered two New York City cops — Joseph Piagentini and Waverly Jones — in cold blood back in 1971 after luring them to a housing project with a fake domestic-violence report.

But consider us more than a tad suspicious — given that Cuomo made the announcement on the eve of the state Democratic convention that on Wednesday renominated him for a third term.

https://nypost.com/2018/05/23/how-andrew-cuomo-gave-cop-killer-herman-bell-a-vote/

In many states (including Texas), convicts do have the right to vote once their sentence has been finished.  

Perhaps look for a second article on the topic?  The headlines I see in the NYPost indicate it may not be unbiased reporting.

Besides, one vote is hardly going to make a difference.   If you look at the numbers in the election, there's more than a 1 (or even 100) vote spread.

Edited by Kenemet

Well, Governors and Presidents do have the power to pardon whoever they want.....   Could always push to change the constitution and stop this I suppose.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Kenemet said:

In many states (including Texas), convicts do have the right to vote once their sentence has been finished.  

Perhaps look for a second article on the topic?  The headlines I see in the NYPost indicate it may not be unbiased reporting.

Besides, one vote is hardly going to make a difference.   If you look at the numbers in the election, there's more than a 1 (or even 100) vote spread.

So you think that votes have nothing to do with this for the dems?

ETA

He is among the more than 24,000 parolees granted conditional pardons by Gov. Cuomo so they can vote.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-crime/killer-herman-bell-24-000-parolees-granted-pardon-article-1.4004061

Edited by Ellapennella

29 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

Well, Governors and Presidents do have the power to pardon whoever they want.....   Could always push to change the constitution and stop this I suppose.

Are the odds in favor that he's  caring & mentally  a changed man? 

3 hours ago, Ellapennella said:

Are the odds in favor that he's  caring & mentally  a changed man? 

Maybe, I personally doubt it though.  But then again, I don't grant pardons.

5 hours ago, Gromdor said:

I personally oppose executive political officials having the power to pardon anyone at all. Should have never become law.

Either the law applies to everyone equally or it doesn't. It's as simple as that.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ellapennella said:

So you think that votes have nothing to do with this for the dems?

ETA

He is among the more than 24,000 parolees granted conditional pardons by Gov. Cuomo so they can vote.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-crime/killer-herman-bell-24-000-parolees-granted-pardon-article-1.4004061

And how do you know that they will all vote Democrat?  Or that they will vote in spite of being allowed to?  Or that they will even register to vote?   Heck, most people don't vote even when you encourage them to.

It looks as if New York is moving toward rights being restored automatically upon release from prison... a position held by over 1/4th of the states plus the District of Columbia.  Anyway, although the news article makes it sound rather scary, it's not that groundbreaking and we haven't seen it  impact elections significantly.   

Here's a breakdown of convicted offenders and voting rights by state:

Voting rights retained while in prison for a felony conviction in: Maine and Vermont.

Voting rights restored automatically upon release from prison in: The District of Columbia, Hawaii, Illinois, Indiana, Massachusetts, Michigan, Montana, New Hampshire, North Dakota, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, and Utah.

Voting rights restored automatically once released from prison and discharged from parole (probationers can vote) in: California, Colorado, Connecticut, and New York

Voting rights restored automatically upon completion of sentence, including prison, parole, and probation in:

Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Georgia, Idaho, Kansas, Louisiana, Maryland, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, New Jersey, New Mexico, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, South Dakota, Texas, Washington, West Virginia, and Wisconsin. Virginia now does this by policy of the current governor.

Voting rights restoration is dependent on the type of conviction and/or the outcome of an individual petition or application to the government in: Alabama, Delaware, Mississippi, Nevada, Tennessee, and Wyoming.

Voting rights can ONLY be restored through an individual petition or application to the government in: Florida, Iowa, and Kentucky

• Like 1