Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Canberra man falls victim to the Uluru curse

Still Waters

“I was a complete idiot to take it, I should have just left it there,” laments Steve Hill from the Weston Creek suburb of Stirling.

Hill believes a string of bad luck, including costly repairs to his 4WD, following a visit to Uluru last year in which he illegally souvenired a small rock, is “more than just coincidence”.

“My friends and family told me not to take it, but I did,” says Hill, who believes he has joined a long list of other jinxed tourists who have pocketed rocks and sand from the outback landmark only to subsequently fall victim to the so-called ‘‘curse of Uluru’’.

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/national/act/tim-the-yowie-man-canberra-man-falls-victim-top-the-uluru-curse-20180515-p4zfcz.html

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

22 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

That be the results of a nocebo effect and confirmation bias, probably some self-fulfilling actions as well.

I never kept track of the amount of grave goods and ceremonial objects I kept in my artifact room until they could be reburied or returned. Nothing ever happened....

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Piney said:

I never kept track of the amount of grave goods and ceremonial objects I kept in my artifact room until they could be reburied or returned. Nothing ever happened....

It's a matter of belief. Even a seed of belief in a curse can cause it to self-fulfill. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

Even a seed of belief in a curse can cause it to self-fulfill. 

Trust me I know. B)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, Piney said:

Trust me I know. B)

So do I. Not so much curse because I thought they were a waste of time, but more constructive thought-seeds work quite effectively to the same degree.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

So do I. Not so much curse because I thought they were a waste of time, but more constructive thought-seeds work quite effectively to the same degree.

Used the though-seeds for cleansings and bad nightmare cases. :tu:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Piney said:

Used the though-seeds for cleansings and bad nightmare cases. :tu:

Occultism, religions, spirituality, and magick. They have all their roots in psychology.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, XenoFish said:

Occultism, religions, spirituality, and magick. They have all their roots in psychology.

I've always considered my techniques "Bene Gesserit" and my grandfather taught me early on manipulation techniques and drove it into my head the difference between the "workers" and the "believers". 

Actually the running joke between my deceased sister and I when she was a Councilwoman and Quaker Overseer and I was  Warrior-Advisor to my father was she was Darwi Odrade and I was Miles Teg. 

Certainly at one time in my life I would have called this superstitious nonsense.

i now believe protecting entities can associate themselves with a place.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Certainly at one time in my life I would have called this superstitious nonsense.

i now believe protecting entities can associate themselves with a place.

But they can only harm you if you let them.

• Like 2

Another person taking a rock with no guilt would've relegated those incidents to background noise and never made the connection. 

But to him, everything is connected. So if he felt wrong for taking it and that was manifesting itself in his life, then he should do what he needs to to set it right. Lesson learned. I for one, would advise him to return it if he can, if for no other reason than it's stealing his focus. 

Edited by Calibeliever
punctuation
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Piney said:

But they can only harm you if you let them.

??? Helluva almost useless protective entity then!!

Or could the guy's sense of guilt make him vulnerable?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Or could the guy's sense of guilt make him vulnerable?

Very much so! :tu:

• Thanks 1

I should go there and take a rock, then I would at least have a scapegoat to blame when something ****ty happens to me.

Right now I just blame bad luck.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

I had 4 "minor" mishaps yesterday. Looking back, all is rational.

But what if, earlier yesterday, I had purchased some odd, superstitious object from a doomed-families estate sale and took it home, and at that point forward the mishaps occurred.

Would I have given thought that the object somehow caused those mishaps? No.

But some people would draw an association when in fact it was simple coincidence.

Worse still, if I did have that attitude of association, I might unknowingly exaggerate the mishaps, making them worse just because I think they should be worse.

We can be our best friend and also our worst enemy.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, pallidin said:

I had 4 "minor" mishaps yesterday. Looking back, all is rational.

But what if, earlier yesterday, I had purchased some odd, superstitious object from a doomed-families estate sale and took it home, and at that point forward the mishaps occurred.

Would I have given thought that the object somehow caused those mishaps? No.

But some people would draw an association when in fact it was simple coincidence.

Worse still, if I did have that attitude of association, I might unknowingly exaggerate the mishaps, making them worse just because I think they should be worse.

We can be our best friend and also our worst enemy.

That's where the magical thinking comes in.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

That's where the magical thinking comes in.

Yep. Most cases are BS.

Just remember, though, 2-things:

- "Quantum weirdness" is abundantly confirmed (though usually notable only on the quantum level)

- All matter, including you and I, have a base FOUNDATION of quantum mechanisms... without THAT, nothing would exist as we know it... as far as atoms, etc...

Edited by pallidin

Sounds like this guy had lots of bad luck or bad mechanics working on his 4WD and classic plane.  I'm glad the pilot wasn't hurt, but a curse?  I wonder who would have been blamed if he didn't have the rock? Maybe someone had it in for him and used the curse as a cover. I'm sure the plane was insured.

welp for the sake of reducing some of the theft going on at ancient sites, I am all for this guy telling his story far and wide.

destruction and graffiti is sickening at some of them.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Mechanics never know what's wrong, they'll just charge you to replace a bunch of parts that had nothing wrong with them to earn some cash. There is nothing strange about it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think the guy is spiritual person, to travel to that site in the first place. He took a token, which caught his curiosity probably because of its unique look. It can be many things, but my time in Africa and what I have seen here makes me think might have been an amulet, like the one most pagan folk here carry. But what would atheists know of amulets, spiritual incantations and energies? He should listen to himself and return it, it's just a piece of rock after all.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, evefromgh said:

I think the guy is spiritual person, to travel to that site in the first place. He took a token, which caught his curiosity probably because of its unique look. It can be many things, but my time in Africa and what I have seen here makes me think might have been an amulet, like the one most pagan folk here carry. But what would atheists know of amulets, spiritual incantations and energies? He should listen to himself and return it, it's just a piece of rock after all.

Some of us might know a thing or two about it. His own subconscious guilt tripped all that on him in a feedback loop of self-fulfilling prophecy. Magick is purely psychological.