Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Canberra man falls victim to the Uluru curse

Still Waters

3 minutes ago, evefromgh said:

And in your opinion, what's the difference between magic and magick?

Magic = Stage Craft

Magick = The art and science of creating a change in consciousness. 

4 minutes ago, evefromgh said:

By psychological, you mean?

Meaning the programs in your brain. Your mindset, idea, ideologies, beliefs, etc. You change those things, you change your subjective perception of the world around you. You act differently, look at things differently. Beliefs are a subjective filter and will lead you to a lot of confirmation bias and magical thinking. The amulets and such are just placebo and any "energy" you feel is just the results of a psychosomatic (mind-body) sensation, it exist, because you expect it to exist, which is a false positive.

• Like 2

Those who are more spiritual and/or religious are more susceptible to the idea of being "cursed". Which is nothing more than a self-induced nocebo effect. 

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/think-well/201803/how-stop-self-fulfilling-prophecies-failure

https://www.aconsciousrethink.com/6134/self-fulfilling-prophecy-law-of-attraction/

It's all in our heads.

• Like 2

My sister has just been to Ayers Rock recently during her six-month tour of Australia. She also went to Alice Springs and found it disappointing. 

On 5/28/2018 at 10:48 PM, Black Monk said:

My sister has just been to Ayers Rock recently during her six-month tour of Australia. She also went to Alice Springs and found it disappointing. 

I find her disappointing...  It's a jaded person who would not be impressed by Uluru, which it is more properly called nowadays, and also the nearby amazing Kata Tjuta rock formations. I'm not a very religious or 'spiritual' person, but it is hard not to feel a sense of awe and mysticism at these huge formations which just spring up from what are almost featureless plains surrounding them.   I've spent a fair bit of time up there and my closest friend lives in Alice Springs - she works with many of the indigenous folk in that region including the Anangu who are the 'traditional owners' of Uluru (although they will tell you the land owns them...).  There is no 'official' curse, but the Anangu will smile knowingly when the subject is raised ("we'd just rather they didn't take away the surface of the land we belong to, so if they believe that, it's good!" is pretty much how I've heard it put).

The Anangu (currently - see below) allow visitors to climb the rock (it's a hard climb and parts can be dangerous), but they politely suggest that you do not.  The main reason for that is simply that people get injured or killed (35 deaths over the years), and that is not a nice thing to be added into the stories and spirituality of the place.  The Anangu want it to be a place of great significance, not a place marked by death and injury.   I understand that in 2019, the climb will be removed. FTR, I have not climbed it.

It's an incredible place, imo second only to the Head of the Bight as far as Australian landscapes go...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What is there at Alice Springs? Anything worth going there for? 

14 hours ago, Vlad the Mighty said:

You probably wouldn't just go there as a tourist, other than to use it as a base for visiting all the amazing stuff nearby, like Uluru, KataTjuta (formerly The Olgas), Kings Canyon, Finke-/Ormiston- and other Gorges, etc.  The town itself has a lot of character, and it is inside what appears to be a meteorite crater (it isn't, but that's the sense you get) in the middle of nowhere.   Check this for a list of stuff to do:
https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Attractions-g255063-Activities-Alice_Springs_Red_Centre_Northern_Territory.html

and the only other advice I'd give is that if you don't like open space / desert scenery, don't go.

There's also the Todd river that 'flows' through the town, trouble is, it is almost always completely dry.  They have a joke 'boat' race that can't be held if there's any water in the river...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, ChrLzs said:

You probably wouldn't just go there as a tourist, other than to use it as a base for visiting all the amazing stuff nearby, like Uluru, KataTjuta (formerly The Olgas), Kings Canyon, Finke-/Ormiston- and other Gorges, etc.  The town itself has a lot of character, and it is inside what appears to be a meteorite crater (it isn't, but that's the sense you get) in the middle of nowhere.   Check this for a list of stuff to do:
https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Attractions-g255063-Activities-Alice_Springs_Red_Centre_Northern_Territory.html

and the only other advice I'd give is that if you don't like open space / desert scenery, don't go.

There's also the Todd river that 'flows' through the town, trouble is, it is almost always completely dry.  They have a joke 'boat' race that can't be held if there's any water in the river...

Are there still camels? 

4 minutes ago, Vlad the Mighty said:

Are there still camels? 

hell, yes.  From short rides to expeditions, to burgers and jerky..  you name it.  :D

• Haha 2

On 04/06/2018 at 8:30 AM, Vlad the Mighty said:

No. My sister found it very disappointing.

On 04/06/2018 at 7:40 AM, ChrLzs said:

I find her disappointing...  It's a jaded person who would not be impressed by Uluru, which it is more properly called nowadays, 

Well it's called Ayers Rock.

I wonder how many ‘curses’ through history were just the result of delusions/psychological problems/paranoia? 

• Thanks 2

On 04/06/2018 at 8:30 AM, Vlad the Mighty said:

Water.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, acute said:

Water.

Are we feeling like a dick this morning? :tu:

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Piney said:

Are we feeling like a dick this morning? :tu:

Excuse me? :angry:

I have never been so accurately insulted in my whole life!

Edited by acute
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, AustinHinton said:

I wonder how many ‘curses’ through history were just the result of delusions/psychological problems/paranoia? 

I'd estimate that all of them were.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, XenoFish said:

I'd estimate that all of them were.

I remember reading a theory that cases of “possession” were likely just misunderstandings of multiple personality disorder. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, AustinHinton said:

I remember reading a theory that cases of “possession” were likely just misunderstandings of multiple personality disorder. 

and also ASD and OCD. 

• Like 1

On 6/9/2018 at 11:55 PM, Black Monk said:

Well it's called Ayers Rock.

ahh actually its not, has not been called Ayers rock since the 90's , its name is Uluru / Ayers Rock, but pretty much everyone calls it Uluru now in honor of the tradition land owners

• Thanks 1

My parents had a holiday in Australia once and stayed with relatives living there, they went to Ayers Rock.

Whenever anyone mentions Alice Springs I always think of the classic movie "A town like Alice", it's one of my favourite oldies and I've watched it a number of times.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0049871/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Town_Like_Alice_(1956_film)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/25/2018 at 11:46 AM, XenoFish said:

Occultism, religions, spirituality, and magick. They have all their roots in psychology.

Do you have any recommended reading for the above and/or thought seeds? 

On 14/06/2018 at 8:03 AM, DingoLingo said:

ahh actually its not

Says who?

On 6/26/2018 at 1:47 AM, Black Monk said:

Says who?

Australians *grins* like I said.. it has not been called Ayers Rock since the 90's.. it is call Uluru.. you will get the odd person still calling it Ayers rock.. 

• Thanks 1

.. and the reason it is still referred to by both names is simply that there are lots of old texts and references to Ayer's Rock out there, so it would be silly to not mention its old name.  It is gazetted as Uluru / Ayer's Rock, and virtually everyone in Oz refers to it as Uluru.

A close friend and I've had a fair bit to do with the traditional owners, who are truly lovely, spiritual, friendly and welcoming people (the Anangu) - they have no problem with it being referred to by either name.  That's even though Henry Ayer, the guy whose name it was given by a gov't surveyor back in the 1950's, has absolutely no connection whatsoever to the rock or the region.  Back in that era, indigenous owners were rudely ignored.

Uluru is the traditional name, the primary gazetted name, and is now much more widely used across Australia.

1 hour ago, ChrLzs said:

.. and the reason it is still referred to by both names is simply that there are lots of old texts and references to Ayer's Rock out there, so it would be silly to not mention its old name.  It is gazetted as Uluru / Ayer's Rock, and virtually everyone in Oz refers to it as Uluru.

A close friend and I've had a fair bit to do with the traditional owners, who are truly lovely, spiritual, friendly and welcoming people (the Anangu) - they have no problem with it being referred to by either name.  That's even though Henry Ayer, the guy whose name it was given by a gov't surveyor back in the 1950's, has absolutely no connection whatsoever to the rock or the region.  Back in that era, indigenous owners were rudely ignored.

Uluru is the traditional name, the primary gazetted name, and is now much more widely used across Australia.

Sorry, brain out of gear - I meant the 1850's not the 1950's.  And having now looked it up, it was 1873, actually, so nought points for me...