Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Strawberry-picking robots

Still Waters

With strawberry picking season well under way - but migrant labour in short supply in several countries - we look at the various robots being developed around the world to help producers harvest this most popular fruit.

Next time you buy strawberries take a look a good look in the punnet. Do the berries still have the stem attached or has it been plucked off leaving only the green hat of leaves called the calyx?

You may not think that matters, but it's a key consideration for growers as they contemplate the merits of a range of robotic prototypes that promise to pick strawberries as fast and as carefully as humans.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43816207

• Like 1

I grew up on a strawberry farm.   I picked a lot of strawberries, it is not something I would want as a career.  Bent over all day like that is tough on your back.  

1 hour ago, Grandpa Greenman said:

I grew up on a strawberry farm.   I picked a lot of strawberries, it is not something I would want as a career.  Bent over all day like that is tough on your back.  

Hey pretty soon not you or any one else will have to pick strawberries or lay bricks, drive taxis or even flip burgers. Automation to the rescue!