Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Epic rant about the metric system

OverSword

I always get into these international conversations between people from Canada and Europe saying how backwards Americans are for using the imperial system, and nothing boils my blood up more than not only unearned but also completely wrong intellectual superiority.

Link

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Isn't the imperial system wonderful?

English_length_units_graph.png

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Rlyeh said:

Isn't the imperial system wonderful?

English_length_units_graph.png

Full of measurements that haven't been used for hundreds of years.

• Like 1

I had a discussion with a co-worker about this not too long ago.  She's from up north and thought the world of the metric system and I asked her, "So then, you don't mind paying for gasoline in liters?"  That ended the discussion... :)

The kilopound was developed by American engineers as a practical base 10 solution to an existing system.

Why?  Because Base 10 is easier!

i'm pretty confident with both. do not see one superior to another just different, same as languages.

when i used to fix cars it was not uncommon to have metric and standard bolts\nuts\treads on the same car, i had tools for both. same as pretty much any mechanic in usa,

they are not really interchangeable, but if bolt\nut isn't too tight you can get away using metric wrench\socket on standard bolt\nut. and wise versa

btw, even in Russia where metric system is used, plumbing threads are in  inches, and angle of the thread is 55* not 60 as all metric threads are, unless it is a special thread.

Edited by aztek
  • Like 2

'MURICA RULLEZZORZ!!!:rofl:

• 1 month later...