Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mystery sea creature washes ashore.

pallidin

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2018/05/25/mystery-sea-creature-like-crocodile-found-washed-up-on-beach-in-wales-baffles-experts.html

A mystery sea creature was found washed up on a British beach - baffling experts as to what it may be. The five-ft long carcass of the alien-like creature was discovered washed up on sand by dog walker Beth Jannetta, 41. Beth snapped the mystery monster - which has a long head, giant jawline and slender tail - and passed on her pictures to experts. But marine boffins are unable to identify the creature - but say it could be a type of whale, dolphin, or porpoise. WALES NEWS SERVICE

• Like 2

Is it a globster? Is it a lobster? Is it a mobster? 

• Like 2

Well, there's one thing I can most certainly tell you about this mystery creature.....it's dead. 

Seriously, a marine biologist should be able to figure this one out by examination of the remains. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The top photo is photoshop. The bottom one's are a porpoise.

• Like 2

Does a porpoise have an elongated smooth tail?

7 hours ago, Piney said:

The top photo is photoshop. The bottom one's are a porpoise.

Do you mean it might have been faked on porpoise? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

9 hours ago, Lilly said:

Well, there's one thing I can most certainly tell you about this mystery creature.....it's dead. 

Seriously, a marine biologist should be able to figure this one out by examination of the remains. 

What do you mean ? Figure out what it is, or figure out that it is dead ? :unsure:

Edited by RoofGardener

14 minutes ago, Vlad the Mighty said:

Do you mean it might have been faked on porpoise? 

The whole thing seems decidedly fishy ! :unsure2:

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, pallidin said:

Does a porpoise have an elongated smooth tail?

dead ones do...at least, dead ones that have been dead for a while do.  The rest of the tail is so thin its damn near sea through, so it'll vanish pretty quicly after death leaving the tail you see in the pics.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

What do you mean ? Figure out what it is, or figure out that it is dead ? :unsure:

The only thing we can tell via a picture is that it's dead. In order to really figure out what it is (was) would be to have a marine biologist examine the remains. 

Mystery creature with Cetacean skull washes up in area well known for Cetaceans. Experts can't be arsed, tabloud readers baffled. 

This one of my lical beaches, no one here has even heard of this. I think that because the arsa gets a lot of tourists, one of them has photographed something that looks unusual to them, and the tabloids have run with it. 

As a demonstration of hiw clued up tourists are,  a couple of mates and I were having a meal in the restaurant that over looks this beach, when we spotted a few porpoisesin the bay. After a while the family, middle aged, middle class professional types, on the next table asked us if we wouldn't mind showing them what we were looking at. We explained porpoises, and to give them an idea where to lookI used the cliffs as reference points, as in 'look half way up at that crag, then take a line out to sea about x ammount of meters'. Then when the porpoises surfaced again, where I predicted, I said, 'there, see them?' 'No', came the reply from the family, who were actually looking at the rock face itself expecting to see a porpoise clinging there. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, oldrover said:

Mystery creature with Cetacean skull washes up in area well known for Cetaceans. Experts can't be arsed, tabloud readers baffled. 

This one of my lical beaches, no one here has even heard of this. I think that because the arsa gets a lot of tourists, one of them has photographed something that looks unusual to them, and the tabloids have run with it. 

As a demonstration of hiw clued up tourists are,  a couple of mates and I were having a meal in the restaurant that over looks this beach, when we spotted a few porpoisesin the bay. After a while the family, middle aged, middle class professional types, on the next table asked us if we wouldn't mind showing them what we were looking at. We explained porpoises, and to give them an idea where to lookI used the cliffs as reference points, as in 'look half way up at that crag, then take a line out to sea about x ammount of meters'. Then when the porpoises surfaced again, where I predicted, I said, 'there, see them?' 'No', came the reply from the family, who were actually looking at the rock face itself expecting to see a porpoise clinging there. 

Yeah. It should be a rule that all tourists should be as knowledgeable on wildlife as Sir David Attenborough. It's scandalous.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lilly said:

The only thing we can tell via a picture is that it's dead. In order to really figure out what it is (was) would be to have a marine biologist examine the remains. 

It's a creature as yet unknown to science. A news species.

Edited by Black Monk
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Black Monk said:

Yeah. It should be a rule that all tourists should be as knowledgeable on wildlife as Sir David Attenborough. It's scandalous.

You think that looking for a porpoise, an animal with flipers, climbing up a cliff isn't a bit strange? Or that it's not a point worth noting that people from inland don't tend to recognise things that are easily understandabke to thise from the coast?

9 minutes ago, Black Monk said:

It's a creature as yet unknown to science. A news species.

Unlesx you know anything about the subject, in which case it's a Cetacean. Which was my point above. 

6 hours ago, oldrover said:

Ha!  At least they have enough savvy to ask somebody who might know the answer.

I was walking along another beach in Wales not so long ago- Borth, where the Petrified Forest had appeared from beneath the sands, and I was examining the stumps with great interest, when I was accosted by a large number of people who wanted to know more about it was and where it was from;  Not sure why they picked me, but its probably the hat.  Its the sort of hat that says "Archaeologist!" (unless you're Italian, in which case it apparently says "Crocodile Dundee".  I can only conclude that in Italy Crocodile Dundee was a more popular film franchise than Indiana Jones.) .  Luckily, I have the degree to go with it, and slightly surprised myself by being able to give an impromptu Q+A on the subject with answers that if not actually right, were at least convincing.  

Edited by Torchwood
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Torchwood said:

Ha!  At least they have enough savvy to ask somebody who might know the answer.

I was walking along another beach in Wales not so long ago- Borth, where the Petrified Forest had appeared from beneath the sands, and I was examining the stumps with great interest, when I was accosted by a large number of people who wanted to know more about it was and where it was from;  Not sure why they picked me, but its probably the hat.  Its the sort of hat that says "Archaeologist!" (unless you're Italian, in which case it apparently says "Crocodile Dundee".  I can only conclude that in Italy Crocodile Dundee was a more popular film franchise than Indiana Jones.) .  Luckily, I have the degree to go with it, and slightly surprised myself by being able to give an impromptu Q+A on the subject with answers that if not actually right, were at least convincing.  

Somone asked me the other day about the petrified tree remnants we have here. I was all ready to answer, but then realised I'd forgotten any meaningful detail. I need a hat. I do know the beach at Borth though, but very slightly (it's really good for dolphin spotting) I believe off the top of my head the remains there are around 5,5 kya?

As an aside, and making assumptions about your username, the beach where these remains washed up isthe one used in the opening episode of one of the Torchwood seies. I'm sureyou know that though.

7 minutes ago, oldrover said:

Somone asked me the other day about the petrified tree remnants we have here. I was all ready to answer, but then realised I'd forgotten any meaningful detail. I need a hat. I do know the beach at Borth though, but very slightly (it's really good for dolphin spotting) I believe off the top of my head the remains there are around 5,5 kya?

As an aside, and making assumptions about your username, the beach where these remains washed up isthe one used in the opening episode of one of the Torchwood seies. I'm sureyou know that though.

In fact I only picked the name at random because an episode happened to be on when I was signing up to UM.  Didn't actually like the show much!

IIRC the forest at Borth is estimated to have died around 3500 thousand years ago. Its certainly weird standing amongst it and thinking of our bronze age ancestors hunting in that woodland, or foraging and gathering their firewood there.  Isnt is supposed to be part of some lost mythical kingdom or something, that fell into the sea ?

12 minutes ago, Torchwood said:

In fact I only picked the name at random because an episode happened to be on when I was signing up to UM.  Didn't actually like the show much!

IIRC the forest at Borth is estimated to have died around 3500 thousand years ago. Its certainly weird standing amongst it and thinking of our bronze age ancestors hunting in that woodland, or foraging and gathering their firewood there.  Isnt is supposed to be part of some lost mythical kingdom or something, that fell into the sea ?

I  didn't either, one episode was OK, but beyond the 'ooh that's...' local references I never took to it.

Yes, there is a legend about a lost kingdom, I can't remember what it's called now but therewas a thread about it on here not so long ago. I'd imagine that itrelates entirely to people's propensity to invent stories about these features. We certainly have tales about the small remnants of ancient forests in the inter-tidal area we have here. Widely believed but contradicted by thedates given to them by modern study. All reference towhich I've now lost unfortunately. 

6 hours ago, oldrover said:

Somone asked me the other day about the petrified tree remnants we have here.

We've got one of those round here somewhere. I always wonder what it was that scared it so much. :( 

20 hours ago, oldrover said:

You think that looking for a porpoise, an animal with flipers, climbing up a cliff isn't a bit strange? Or that it's not a point worth noting that people from inland don't tend to recognise things that are easily understandabke to thise from the coast?

It isn't strange if you don't know what a porpoise is.

20 hours ago, oldrover said:

Unlesx you know anything about the subject, in which case it's a Cetacean. Which was my point above. 

Just because it's a cetacean doesn't mean it's not a new species.

Edited by Black Monk

14 hours ago, Black Monk said:

Just because it's a cetacean doesn't mean it's not a new species.

It also doesn't mean that it is a new species. This carcass probably belongs to a harbor porpoise.