Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Wolf-like' creature shot near Montana ranch

Unusual Tournament

It's a hyrax.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The fur looks a bit strange but nothing extraordinary.  I'd go with Coydog.  There are many examples of these in and around these parts.  I haven't seen that particular color or fur type, but hybrids can exhibit all sorts of strange mutations.  

• Like 2

On 5/28/2018 at 12:31 AM, Faustus said:

The fur looks a bit strange but nothing extraordinary.  I'd go with Coydog.  There are many examples of these in and around these parts.  I haven't seen that particular color or fur type, but hybrids can exhibit all sorts of strange mutations.  

Here's another pic and I still think it was one of those goofy wolf-dingos that survivalist clown who was raided was breeding.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/mysterious-wolf-like-creature-in-montana-has-wildlife-experts-scratching-their-heads/ar-AAy0NGB

31 minutes ago, The Narcisse said:

Because....America....

Let's say I come by your place of work once a week and take 50 euros from your wallet.  Let's say I do this for a couple of months and the only way you can put a stop to it cutting off my access to the building.  Would you do it?   Not sure if this man had lost livestock yet, but if he had, he had every right to shoot this mutant.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Faustus said:

Let's say I come by your place of work once a week and take 50 euros from your wallet.  Let's say I do this for a couple of months and the only way you can put a stop to it cutting off my access to the building.  Would you do it?   Not sure if this man had lost livestock yet, but if he had, he had every right to shoot this mutant.  

You'd be making a huge mistake...I have no Euros in my wallet...ever.

But, if I were to follow your example...this animal was shot  NEAR his ranch. Which means even if livestock had been messed with he had no idea of knowing if this animal was doing it. So, no I wouldn't just go out and start shooting things that MIGHT be the issue. We have enough of that going on already.

• Like 2

Have you ever owned and cared for livestock in your life?  I have.  We had over 300 head of cattle,  8 horses, several sheep, goats, and chickens.  Loners, mutants such as this do not thrive in the wild.  They are usually malnourished, as this one looks in the pic, and predate on the easiest targets----i.e. livestock.   It's a hard way of life to the rancher these days.  I don't fault him one bit for shooting and killing this animal.  It might be offensive to your sensibilities, and I have an idea as to why.  We shoot mangy or malnourished coyotes and coydogs around here and hang em' on the barbed wire so others know to stay away from our livestock.  It's a way of life I don't think you'd understand unless you came out and hired on as a hand.  

Edited by Faustus
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Faustus said:

Have you ever owned and cared for livestock in your life?  I have.  We had over 300 head of cattle,  8 horses, several sheep, goats, and chickens.  Loners, mutants such as this do not thrive in the wild.  They are usually malnourished, as this one looks in the pic, and predate on the easiest targets----i.e. livestock.   It's a hard way of life to the rancher these days.  I don't fault him one bit for shooting and killing this animal.  It might be offensive to your sensibilities, and I have an idea as to why.  We shoot mangy or malnourished coyotes and coydogs around here and hang em' on the barbed wire so others know to stay away from our livestock.  It's a way of life I don't think you'd understand unless you came out and hired on as a hand.  

I'm not offended at all.

Also I would never make as a ranch hand. Physical labor is not my forte.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The Narcisse said:

I'm not offended at all.

Also I would never make as a ranch hand. Physical labor is not my forte.

Well good.  Don't be offended, because that animal would have died from starvation, disease, or predation anyway.  Better to ensure the livestocks survival for the rancher.  

Close enough to normal wolves and dogs that I wouldn't even bother with a DNA test. I mean it's not like it has a human face or walks on 2 legs or anything.

• Like 1

I think it might be a cross breed of 2 different species of wolves, a mix of a dog and a wolf, or it could be a type of wolf that had been extinct since the Ice Age. Some people think it might be a werewolf, but it’s unlikely since 1) it doesn’t look like one (the way a werewolf apparently looks) and 2) there isn’t enough evidence to support the claim that werewolves exist. It also can’t be a mixture of a coyote and a wolf (those live where I live - they’re called “coywolves” - though they aren’t big enough to look like this wolf, and the fur is a lot different.

I’m really excited to find out what this is after the lab testing is finished!

Edited by Nightsoul

i've read that some experts think that it could be a cross between a jackal and wolf. 

On 6/1/2018 at 11:13 AM, NightScreams said:

Close enough to normal wolves and dogs that I wouldn't even bother with a DNA test. I mean it's not like it has a human face or walks on 2 legs or anything.

it was shot 2 weeks before the full moon so we'll never know :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Now they are saying it is just a wolf ... but maybe that's just what they wanted you to think ... dun dun duuuuuuuuuuuuun

MISSOULA, Mont. — The mystery is over: Montana wildlife officials confirm that an unusual-looking animal shot in central Montana was actually a wolf.

http://nbcmontana.com/news/local/dna-results-show-mysterious-canine-was-wolf

• Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

It's a hyrax.

• Like 1

Looks like wild dogs I saw in the Blue mountains NSW, Australia they were not like normal feral dogs/dingo I've seen, very wolf like.Two of them were trying to take down a bullterrier that had strayed into bushland.When they saw us they let the dog go and bolted.A friend saw the pair a couple of weeks later.I think they were many generation feral dogs that had reverted to a wolflike animal.

I don't get why some folks are saying Dog Man. It's clearly a giant animal on four legs.  There's nothing werewolf about this really. Unless the thing turned into a naked dude after it got shot, it is just a wolf. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/25/2018 at 5:33 AM, Dunbaraj said:

I don't get why some folks are saying Dog Man. It's clearly a giant animal on four legs.  There's nothing werewolf about this really. Unless the thing turned into a naked dude after it got shot, it is just a wolf. 

or if they stored the remains in a were-house. ;)

• Haha 2

On 6/18/2018 at 6:15 PM, The Caspian Hare said:

Now they are saying it is just a wolf ... but maybe that's just what they wanted you to think ... dun dun duuuuuuuuuuuuun

http://nbcmontana.com/news/local/dna-results-show-mysterious-canine-was-wolf

LOL

It just goes to show what I've always said about quoting so-called "experts" who claim an alleged cryptid just can't be identified.