Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Wolf-like' creature shot near Montana ranch

Unusual Tournament

'Wolf-like' creature shot near Montana ranch puzzles experts

US wildlife experts are baffled by a "wolf-like" animal that was killed by a Montana farmer.

The rancher near the town of Denton shot the creature last week when it came within several hundred metres of his livestock, said officials.

State wildlife experts said they have been unable to pinpoint its species.

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-us-canada-44243644

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Piney said:

I'm calling wolf-dog hybrid by the description. 

You beat me too it Piney. I was going to say I'm inclined to go along with this...

"But others think it is a coywolf (a coyote wolf hybrid), or perhaps a wolfdog bred in captivity and later released into the wild."

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Well, can't they have a canine expert examine it and give an opinion. Now that there is such a thing as DNA analysis have our zoological experts forgot how to do physical examinations.

My first guess is a wolf/coyote hybrid some misname Chupacabra already seen in Texas but this is the farthest north report.

• Like 2

Just now, Stiff said:

You beat me too it Piney. I was going to say I'm inclined to go along with this...

"But others think it is a coywolf (a coyote wolf hybrid), or perhaps a wolfdog bred in captivity and later released into the wild."

From the description it sounds like one of those wolf-dingo hybrids some dip**** was breeding outside of Billings. The ones that were found were destroyed but there is no counting the ones that weren't. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, papageorge1 said:

Well, can't they have a canine expert examine it and give an opinion. Now that there is such a thing as DNA analysis have our zoological experts forgot how to do physical examinations.

My first guess is a wolf/coyote hybrid some misname Chupacabra already seen in Texas but this is the farthest north report.

coywolves is the type of coyotes we have here. I even have one visit me at my camper. They are immediately identifiable. 

• Like 6

Yep, not worth wasting resources every time some ignorant person misidentifies something. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, seanjo said:

Why was it shot?

It was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, seanjo said:

Why was it shot?

He considered the animal to be a threat to his livestock.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, DanteHoratio said:

He considered the animal to be a threat to his livestock.

Yet he had no dogs to handle it. Rather suspicious.......

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Stiff said:

That's what I thought when I first saw it

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, glorybebe said:

That's what I thought when I first saw it

I wish I still had pics of those wolf-dingos this survivalist was breeding. It looks exactly like them.  I'm inclined to think it belonged to the rancher who ghosted it because generally the stock dogs will handle things like this. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Piney said:

I wish I still had pics of those wolf-dingos this survivalist was breeding. It looks exactly like them.  I'm inclined to think it belonged to the rancher who ghosted it because generally the stock dogs will handle things like this. 

Wolf-dingo!?  Those would be cool to see!  I had a neighbour who had a blue healer/dingo cross.  Meanest dog I ever met.  But pretty neat looking

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, glorybebe said:

Wolf-dingo!?  Those would be cool to see!  I had a neighbour who had a blue healer/dingo cross.  Meanest dog I ever met.  But pretty neat looking

Blue heelers have a lot of dingo blood, but it's way back. Dingos were domesticated dogs that went feral though. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Wolf/dog hybrid... what a beautiful creature, such a shame. it is about the same size as my Loki... 

rsz_20160227_150101.jpg

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Piney said:

I'm calling wolf-dog hybrid by the description. 

I had a wolf-dog hybrid pup for a while from a friend.  Sweet little girl, grey with yellow eyes, but too inbred.  She was deaf and had impaired vision, plus fragile health.   I thought I could take care of her, but she died at about 3 months.  Very dog-like look but with more curved incisors. She was pretty content to sit on my feet.  I am sure she would have been a handful.  I've also seen a beautiful coyote-dog mix named Ava,  She was an amazing jumper.  A 6 foot fence couldn't hold her. She was very lean and wiry,  Pretty nice but skittish around strangers.  Too thin to be like the dog in the photo.  I  vote for wolf / dog.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

I had a wolf-dog hybrid pup for a while from a friend.  Sweet little girl, grey with yellow eyes, but too inbred.  She was deaf and had impaired vision, plus fragile health.   I thought I could take care of her, but she died at about 3 months.  Very dog-like look but with more curved incisors. She was pretty content to sit on my feet.  I am sure she would have been a handful.  I've also seen a beautiful coyote-dog mix named Ava,  She was an amazing jumper.  A 6 foot fence couldn't hold her. She was very lean and wiry,  Pretty nice but skittish around strangers.  Too thin to be like the dog in the photo.  I  vote for wolf / dog.

I have a coywolf coming here who I think lost her place as alpha female due to old age. She comes out after the heelers are called up to the big house. I keep a few packs of tubesteak in the freezer and toss her them when she visits at night.

3 of the heelers here are full siblings. We call them the "Billy Bumblers".  They climb over the sidecut and firewood piles like cats and jump like Irish thoroughbreds. 

Heelers kill other dogs pretty fast. Because of the way they can move and turn. They use a "hit and run" tactic. One here, Cedar opens up coywolves with one pass. My first one Dink, took out a Neo-Nazi's rotty in seconds. He made one running swipe at the throat from the side. Spun like a  pinwheeling cowcutter and the rot dropped. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Piney said:

Yet he had no dogs to handle it. Rather suspicious.......

Not really. Not every person with livestock has a dog. Plus, it was never stated that he had no dogs. Maybe he did. Maybe he did not.

1 hour ago, DanteHoratio said:

Not really. Not every person with livestock has a dog. Plus, it was never stated that he had no dogs. Maybe he did. Maybe he did not.

Anybody who doesn't have stock dogs in a area with predators isn't too sharp.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, Piney said:

Anybody who doesn't have stock dogs in a area with predators isn't too sharp.

Like I said, it was never stated that he did not have any dogs. Maybe he did.

Personally, I feel this animal could be a wolf dog.

1 hour ago, DanteHoratio said:

Like I said, it was never stated that he did not have any dogs. Maybe he did.

Personally, I feel this animal could be a wolf dog.

I know it is. I deal with coywolves all the time and like I said in a previous post, it looks just like the wolf-dingos some crazy Alt-Right survivalist was breeding outside of Billings. Talk of them was up and down the Cowhand-Logger Trail. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Piney said:

I know it is. I deal with coywolves all the time and like I said in a previous post, it looks just like the wolf-dingos some crazy Alt-Right survivalist was breeding outside of Billings. Talk of them was up and down the Cowhand-Logger Trail. 

you sound very knowledgable about these cross breeds, mate. to me the fur looks somehow different than a dogs and wolf, more bear like. what do you make of it? 

3 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

you sound very knowledgable about these cross breeds, mate. to me the fur looks somehow different than a dogs and wolf, more bear like. what do you make of it? 

Winter coat combined with a lot of filth and maybe mange mites. :tu:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1