Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Still Waters

Armed bystanders gun down restaurant shooter

10 posts in this topic

Still Waters

Police have praised two armed bystanders after they shot and killed a gunman who opened fire on diners at a restaurant in the US state of Oklahoma.

Oklahoma City police said four victims were injured on Thursday before the duo confronted the shooter as he fled the scene and "fatally shot him".

The gunman shot three people. A fourth person broke his arm. All the victims are in good condition, say police.

Police named the deceased suspect as 28-year-old Alexander Tilghman.

Police Capt Bo Mathews told reporters that the armed civilians, Juan Carlos Nazario, 35, and Bryan Wittle, 39, "took the right measures to be able to put an end to a terrible, terrible incident".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-44256763

• Like 2

GlitterRose

I'm just glad the armed bystanders weren't mistaken by police for the shooter. 

I've always worried that would happen. 

• Like 2

Dark_Grey
6 minutes ago, ChaosRose said:

I'm just glad the armed bystanders weren't mistaken by police for the shooter. 

I've always worried that would happen. 

Can you recall an event where that did happen? I'm curious now... There are lots of good guys with guns and also a lot of trigger happy Cops. It's not a stretch to imagine some rookie arriving on the scene, adrenaline pumping and he starts firing at the first guy with a gun he can see

GlitterRose
1 minute ago, Dark_Grey said:

Can you recall an event where that did happen? I'm curious now... There are lots of good guys with guns and also a lot of trigger happy Cops. It's not a stretch to imagine some rookie arriving on the scene, adrenaline pumping and he starts firing at the first guy with a gun he can see

I haven't heard of it happening, but I can see how it easily could.

Or even the hesitation because they're unsure which person is the bad guy might cause the police to get shot. 

• Like 1

Gromdor
11 minutes ago, Dark_Grey said:

The church in Amarillo, Texas is the last one I remember. http://www.star-telegram.com/news/state/texas/article202325499.html

• Like 1

Lilly

If legally armed citizens come upon a gunman slaughtering people in a restaurant what are they supposed to do? Stand around while people are murdered and hope the police can arrive in time to save a couple of them? Run away and hide to save their own skins because some rookie officer might mistake them for the bad guy? 

Personally, I think these two gentlemen were heroic and saved many lives.

• Like 4

aztek

too bad they had to run to their cars, if they had guns on them, they most likely would save more.  

• Like 2

Dark_Grey
7 hours ago, Lilly said:

If legally armed citizens come upon a gunman slaughtering people in a restaurant what are they supposed to do? Stand around while people are murdered and hope the police can arrive in time to save a couple of them? Run away and hide to save their own skins because some rookie officer might mistake them for the bad guy? 

Absolute they did. I don't think they should have done things differently but I do wonder about cases of "mistaken identity" and how common or uncommon it is

AnchorSteam
On 5/26/2018 at 4:48 AM, Still Waters said:

Police Capt Bo Mathews told reporters that the armed civilians, Juan Carlos Nazario, 35, and Bryan Wittle, 39, "took the right measures to be able to put an end to a terrible, terrible incident".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-44256763

Great news!

And somehow, despite what the anti-gun gang would have you think, they not only managed to avoid killing each other, but everyone else in the building! 

I wonder how this can be explained.... oh yeah, the Ivory Tower is ignoring it. 

• Like 2

Setton
On 26/05/2018 at 3:16 PM, Lilly said:

Heroic, yes. 

Saved lives, probably not. The shooter was already fleeing.