Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Robot dogs given Buddhist funeral in Japan

Still Waters

A traveler happening upon a funeral for robot dogs might be taken aback.

Is this a performance art statement about modern life? Is it a hoax? A practical joke?

But this is actually a religious ceremony, and the emotions expressed by the human participants are genuine.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/travel/destinations/asia/japan/in-japan--a-buddhist-funeral-service-for-robot-dogs/

• Like 1

I could see myself getting attached to a robot dog.

I couldn't even watch Battle Bots.

They seem alive, and I don't want them to get "hurt." 

I know, I know...it's weird. 

I used to cut the tags out of my stuffed animals' ears when I was a kid, too. 

I thought the tags were hurting them. 

• Thanks 1

k9-classic-doctor-who.jpg

I could see it

Edited by ~Onyx~
Just Cause

1 hour ago, ChaosRose said:

I could see myself getting attached to a robot dog.

I couldn't even watch Battle Bots.

They seem alive, and I don't want them to get "hurt." 

I know, I know...it's weird. 

I used to cut the tags out of my stuffed animals' ears when I was a kid, too. 

I thought the tags were hurting them. 

I still had my stuffed animals all the way up until I went to prison. :tu:  In Shintoism and Algonquian Tradition. Animal toys and dolls become part of Creation and gain their own Kami/ Maaniituu. My Youngest son's mother and I kept dolls for elderly people who wished them attended to after they passed or given a funeral.

Also my R2 unit is my buddy and I have stuffed animals on my bed that looked "lonely" while I was shopping bargain aisles.

• Like 2

Shintoism is an animist belief system, from what I recall and it is said that all life has a soul, moreover if a creation like a piece of furniture or perhaps a statue is loved, treated kindly, etc then that creation develops a soul.

However I have also heard that if an object is repeatedly treated badly for long periods of time, the "soul" that it develops may not necessarily be kind. Or so I read.

So..yeah, I can see even inanimate objects being treated with respect. Heck, even in video games I am afraid to make a bad choice or  choose a wrong response 'cause I don't want to hurt its feelings. (yeah, sad isn't it?)

Shintoism is an animist belief system, from what I recall and it is said that all life has a soul, moreover if a creation like a piece of furniture or perhaps a statue is loved, treated kindly, etc then that creation develops a soul.

However I have also heard that if an object is repeatedly treated badly for long periods of time, the "soul" that it develops may not necessarily be kind. Or so I read.

So..yeah, I can see even inanimate objects being treated with respect. Heck, even in video games I am afraid to make a bad choice or  choose a wrong response 'cause I don't want to hurt its feelings. (yeah, sad isn't it?)

• Haha 1