Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

WWII bunker found in back garden

Black Monk

A hidden World War Two bunker has been discovered under the back garden of a house in Middlesbrough.

Chris Scott was having his Marton Avenue home renovated when he decided to investigate what he thought was a drain cover.

But it turned out to be the entrance to a concrete-lined, two-room bunker, big enough for more than 50 people.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tees-44226852

• Like 3

When I was a kid (back in the early 60s) we had a fall out shelter in our basement. I'm really not surprised that some folks in the UK had WWII bunkers in their back yards. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Lilly said:

When I was a kid (back in the early 60s) we had a fall out shelter in our basement. I'm really not surprised that some folks in the UK had WWII bunkers in their back yards. 

Many people in Britain had Anderson shelters in their back yards to protect them from the Luftwaffe. They were issued free to all householders who earned less than £5 per week.

Edited by Black Monk
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Lilly said:

Hi Lily

There were people back home did the same thing, I thought it was unnecessary as we lived in the middle of no where :lol: most of them were under the garage though.

jmccr8