Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Congrats to Irish women!

Timothy

So glad to see an astounding vote in favour of repeal!!

I know that I'm obviously viewing this as a distant third party, but I still commend all involved and realise that it is too-little-too-late for many.

I hope that the new legislation will come about quickly, justly and without contest.

@danydandan, not trying to name-drop with any malcontent; but just honestly interested in your opinion and optimism/pessimism on how things will move from hereon in.

By any measure, I'm glad.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

My people used abortion herbs for thousands of years to prevent unwanted suffering. But our religion isn't based on suffering.......

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Piney said:

My people used abortion herbs for thousands of years to prevent unwanted suffering. But our religion isn't based on suffering.......

According to my own understanding of the New Testament, Christianity shouldn't be based on suffering either. But that's just me. 

This is great news. 

No one sane is looking forward to an abortion, but if it comes to that, it certainly is better to have that procedure done professionally, without additional risks. 

(I really, honestly don't think there's any consciousness in early stage fetus. I also honestly think that caring about the unborn and unaware only, while disregarding the already born and aware is not quite logical.)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Helen of Annoy said:

I also honestly think that caring about the unborn and unaware only, while disregarding the already born and aware is not quite logical.)

I don't think it's actually about caring. I think it's about control.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Helen of Annoy said:

According to my own understanding of the New Testament, Christianity shouldn't be based on suffering either. But that's just me. 

This is great news. 

No one sane is looking forward to an abortion, but if it comes to that, it certainly is better to have that procedure done professionally, without additional risks. 

(I really, honestly don't think there's any consciousness in early stage fetus. I also honestly think that caring about the unborn and unaware only, while disregarding the already born and aware is not quite logical.)

Ireland takes a step into the gutter.

Yes, abortion is a good thing when a foetus is deformed, when the father is a rapist, and a variety of other exceptions. But we all know that when we come back in 20 years we will now find a more casual attitude towards sex with many youngsters sleeping around.

The vote shouldn't have only been yes or no, it should have had other options.

5 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

Yes, abortion is a good thing when a foetus is deformed, when the father is a rapist, and a variety of other exceptions. 

The Irish Law banned abortions after rape and incest, so it's a positive move, IMHO.

Edited by acute
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, acute said:

The Irish Law banned abortions after rape and incest, so it's a positive move, IMHO.

?

~

[00.00:39]

~

Father, daughter had another child together - National - smh.com.au

Apr 8, 2008 - A SOUTH Australian father and daughter who made world headlines ... Judge Steven Millsteed banned the couple from having sex with each ...

~

Edited by third_eye
wrong link
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Piney said:

I don't think it's actually about caring. I think it's about control.

Can you clarify who you think wants the control, please?

3 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

Can you clarify who you think wants the control, please?

The Far Right and the Catholic Church. :tu:

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, acute said:

Here in the UK (and in similar nations) we portray ourselves as being enlightened due to our liberal values and criticise other societies who do things differently. To mentally maintain such superiority requires us to ignore the negative impacts that progressive liberal polices have such as eroding away the moral fabric of our society.

Over the last 100 years we have seen a huge rise in the level of crime, anti-social behaviour, drug abuse, alcohol abuse, broken homes, narcissism, single parent families, breakdown of family values, and have gained what many describe as a broken society in the process. Lets look at how the death penalty got removed - people pointing out exceptions such as <1% of those being executed were innocent.

Exceptions, exceptions, exceptions, and a country gradually descends into the gutter. Why was there black and white voting over Irelands abortion laws? It isn't a yes or no issue. There are shades in between allowing exceptions to be accommodated without adopting a stance which will lead to widespread casual sex amongst teenagers and younger adults in a couple of decades.

39 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

Ireland takes a step into the gutter.

Yes, abortion is a good thing when a foetus is deformed, when the father is a rapist, and a variety of other exceptions. But we all know that when we come back in 20 years we will now find a more casual attitude towards sex with many youngsters sleeping around.

The vote shouldn't have only been yes or no, it should have had other options.

They hadn't discovered condoms yet over there?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, RabidMongoose said:

widespread casual sex amongst teenagers and younger adults in a couple of decades.

In my culture we find no harm in that, as a matter of fact in my culture there is no such thing as marriage. We just move into 'her"wigwam. But we believe you shouldn't have children unless you can provide for them.

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, third_eye said:

?

~

[00.00:39]

~

~

On the Reserve he would be burnt alive.......

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Piney said:

On the Reserve he would be burnt alive.......

Trust you me, so too in many other places, but that would be awfully 'Unlawful' ...

~

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, third_eye said:

Trust you me, so too in many other places, but that would be awfully 'Unlawful' ...

~

I'm actually surprised at times that many Westerners can squeeze out a turd bigger than a rabbit pellet.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Piney said:

I'm actually surprised at times that many Westerners can squeeze out a turd bigger than a rabbit pellet.....

I wouldn't slice this that bluntly along East West lines ... or bringing rabbits into the mix here ...

~

Oedipus in Jerusalem: A Play in Two Acts - Google Books Result

Kalman J. Kaplan - 2015 - ‎History
... father (King Polybus) and committing incest with the woman he mistakenly thinks is ... But Oedipus is like Br'er Rabbit in Uncle Remus' tale of The Tar Baby.

~

~

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, third_eye said:

I wouldn't slice this that bluntly along East West lines ... 

~

The Miillecca (sic) carried it East.....

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, ChaosRose said:

They hadn't discovered condoms yet over there?

Contraception is legal in Ireland for family planning.

It is illegal for casual sex.

3 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

Because that's really enforceable.

• Like 2

Is there an alarm on Irish condoms that will go off if its, casual sex I wonder ...

~

• Haha 5

1 minute ago, RabidMongoose said:

Because of the Catholic rule against it, the population of Central Americans in my former ghetto exploded and it led to more suffering and problems

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Timonthy said:

So glad to see an astounding vote in favour of repeal!!

I know that I'm obviously viewing this as a distant third party, but I still commend all involved and realise that it is too-little-too-late for many.

I hope that the new legislation will come about quickly, justly and without contest.

@danydandan, not trying to name-drop with any malcontent; but just honestly interested in your opinion and optimism/pessimism on how things will move from hereon in.

By any measure, I'm glad.

First of all I didn't vote, as I was too conflicted. I was leaning on the yes side but have reservations on how our government will actually change the law.

All the yes vote does is allow the government to amend the law. Which is a good thing. However I am pessimistic about what our government will change the law to.

I personally do not think allowing abortions for any reason is morally correct. Although I respect that woman should have full control and be able to decide what's going to happen to their bodies. The current law is way to restrictive and forced thousands of woman to travel overseas for abortion, the only good thing that will come from this constitutional change is that woman who choose abortion can at least stay at home.

What I thought was really bad was the celebrations, it showed no class. The no vote siders see abortion as murder, the yes side should have respected that. The scenes of people celebrating looks like the yes side where celebrating murder, if you look at them through the eyes of a no voter.

All in all I think it's generally positive, as it allows for a law that allows a choice. However I'm not too sure exactly the new law will be, so only time will tell if it's good or bad.

If it's a new law that allows for abortions for no reason other than inconvenience then it's a slippery slope. However if the new law states that there must be a legitimate reason for an abortion then it might be ok.

Like I said I'm very conflicted.

Edited by danydandan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

34 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

Here in the UK (and in similar nations) we portray ourselves as being enlightened due to our liberal values and criticise other societies who do things differently. To mentally maintain such superiority requires us to ignore the negative impacts that progressive liberal polices have such as eroding away the moral fabric of our society.

Over the last 100 years we have seen a huge rise in the level of crime, anti-social behaviour, drug abuse, alcohol abuse, broken homes, narcissism, single parent families, breakdown of family values, and have gained what many describe as a broken society in the process. Lets look at how the death penalty got removed - people pointing out exceptions such as <1% of those being executed were innocent.

Exceptions, exceptions, exceptions, and a country gradually descends into the gutter. Why was there black and white voting over Irelands abortion laws? It isn't a yes or no issue. There are shades in between allowing exceptions to be accommodated without adopting a stance which will lead to widespread casual sex amongst teenagers and younger adults in a couple of decades.

All the vote does is allow the government to change the constitution which is a good thing. We don't know what law will be passed and I can assume the opposition will not allow a law with unrestricted abortion so some restrictions will be in place I hope.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, acute said:

Yeah currently, as law hasn't changed yet, conception doesn't matter all abortions are illegal, unless risk of death.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

It's not illegal.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1