Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Inky Bendy

A question regarding meridians

4 posts in this topic

Inky Bendy
Posted (edited)

I didn't know where to post this so if this is the wrong place please move it to wherever it is appropriate.

In Chinese Traditional Medicine, acupuncture is the practice of inserting fine needles along specific points along, what is called, a meridian.

I have been doing a lot of reading on the subject yet I still find myself confused as to that meridians are. Many of the texts I read seem, to me anyways, rather ambiguous and vague. Perhaps it is meant that way, perhaps not. What I do know is that they have nothing to do with the circulatory system.

However what I want to know is if it is related the the nervous system, are the "meridians" perhaps the electrical field that is emanated by the nerves? Are meridians associated with some sort of "signal points" along the lymphatic system?

Some texts claim meridians are energy channels while a v-e-r-y spare few claim that meridians are physical structures that run along the fluid channels of the lymph system.

There are other questions I have but I do want to say this...I mean no offenses but as of now I am not really interested in discussing point on whether or not acupuncture is valid, quackery or just a placebo. I am just trying to gain clarity on the subject at hand.

Thanks

Edited by Ryu

Not A Rockstar

I am not an expert at all so this is not a definitive answer but I always thought it was energy channels, not anything physical. I will be watching for a reply if someone comes along who would know for sure. There are traditionally taught energy channel locations and flows, and this is what I thought it worked with.

Not A Rockstar

Here is a site with a simplistic map of the locations http://www.holisticonline.com/acupuncture/acp_meridians.htm  

It IS physical only in the sense that in things like massage or acupuncture the locations are often stimulated that way, but nowhere do I see it spoken of as anything but an energetic map regarding Chi, which is related to kundalini energy. This is not physical, it is energy. 

Kundalini I know more about. I will stand on my previous post. This is not physical in the sense you can open the body and see an intersection literally. It is an energetic grid that is referred to if speaking only of the grid itself. Specific physical meaning only refers to placement, if that makes sense.

• Thanks 1

Inky Bendy

Thanks for the reply and the info.

Problem is that it still does not explain very well what it is beyond saying they are energy lines nor have I seen an explanation as to just HOW these lines correspond with certain organs or even why an organ is affected when a needle intercepts certain points in the corresponding meridian.

So I am left to assume that meridians are associated, perhaps, with the electrical field that is produced by nerve fibers.

An interesting yet complex and confusing topic.