Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
UM-Bot

Australian islands closed due to rat invasion

5 posts in this topic

Jon the frog
Posted (edited)

These rats problems are a really bad. Introduced species are bad for local wildlife everywhere. Domestic cat are an incredible death sentence for birds in north america and kill more than all others predators combined. In Australia rats, cane toad, boar, fox, dogs, rabbits, camels, etc are raging chaos on the ecosystem. I think their ecosystem is the most or one of the most hurt by introduced species.

It's easier to get rid of one species on a define land like an island but I don't know about other species eating these bait. It's probably a last resort measure...

Edited by Jon the frog
  • Sad 1

Sundew

They need to rat bait the entire island(s) even if there is a potential to poison local wildlife because rats WILL cause the extinction of native nesting birds and other animals, and likely the bait can be tailored for rodents. 

I believe they have successfully eradicated rats from other islands this way and once they are gone, the native wildlife can recover. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Myles

They should use this as an opportunity.  

Let people volunteer to go and kill them.   50 cents per rat.   Pellet guns would work.   After they are done in a couple months, bait and kill the rest.  

Perhaps PETA will move their home office to one of the islands.

• Sad 1

paperdyer

Quick, get me the Pied Piper's number or email!

Maybe c*** roaches won't be the next dominate life form after humans.  Rats and other rodents do  pretty good jib of reproducing and surviving, too.

• Haha 1