Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Movies You're Afraid to Watch

StarMountainKid

Somehow I came across the movie, 'Tetsuo: The Iron Man', "is a 1989 Japanese cyberpunk horror film written, produced, edited, and directed by cult-film director Shinya Tsukamoto," (from Wikipedia). I watched the trailer on YouTube, and I'm not sure I want to watch the movie, though the plot from Wiki is interesting. It's a movie I'm hesitant to watch, but intriguing enough that I'd like to. 

Another one is, 'Freaks', 1932, about real circus sideshow performers with their physical deformities. I eventually did watch it, and it's actually a good movie, though at first somewhat difficult to watch, as these are real people in a freak show in a circus. As the movie went on, I found myself sympathizing with these characters, not being shocked or offended by their physical appearance. They are heroic in the movie, and I suppose had to be heroic in their lives.

Any movies you're afraid to watch? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The Tale was too disturbing.

I realize that it's a story that needed to be told, and I acknowledge the courage it took to tell it. 

But that was just too much for me. 

• Like 3

"It"   Not because it was scary. Because kids were killed...:hmm:.

• Like 2

The Exorcist, The Conjuring and pretty much any other movie about actual demon possession.  I believe demons are real entities and have no desire to play around with the idea of inviting them in.

• Like 1

I wouldn't say "afraid" is the right word.

There are certain things that don't sit comfortably with me though. For example, I've never watched The Accused, due to the harrowing theme of the movie.

Rubber/CGI monsters and bucketloads of fake viscera... no problem. Realistic depictions of such an abhorrent crime, and the abject suffering involved... difficult to qualify as entertainment, in my opinion.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Self-serious horror movies don't do much for me these days, I prefer the comedy/parody kind of horror.  The only kind of movies I genuinely don't like and refuse to watch are ones that have lots of needless gore/torture like Saw.  I saw the first one, and stopped watching the series then.

• Like 1

The My Little Pony movie.

That s**t gives me shivers just thinking of it. Oh, the horror!

• Haha 1

It was more when I was a kid. There are movies from that time I still havent watched The Excorcist and Amityville Horror in particular. Like  'and then' these kinds of shows do nothing for me at all. Other ones Im not to into are the Friday the 13th ones..Nightmare on Elm Street. Shows with gore and murder just turn me off and I dont even bother with them. Give me a swashbuckling adventure on the high seas or a rip roaring comedy anyday!

Edited by khol
spelling
  • Like 2

Not necessarily afraid but I don’t  think I could stomach these, The Human Centipede and A Serbian Film. No desire to see either of these.

• Like 3

On 5/28/2018 at 7:34 PM, SecretSanta said:

Not necessarily afraid but I don’t  think I could stomach these, The Human Centipede and A Serbian Film. No desire to see either of these.

I've heard about those movies, and they're not in my future, either. 

• Like 3

On 5/28/2018 at 11:39 AM, khol said:

It was more when I was a kid. There are movies from that time I still havent watched The Excorcist and Amityville Horror in particular. Like  'and then' these kinds of shows do nothing for me at all. Other ones Im not to into are the Friday the 13th ones..Nightmare on Elm Street. Shows with gore and murder just turn me off and I dont even bother with them. Give me a swashbuckling adventure on the high seas or a rip roaring comedy anyday!

I remember as a little kid being freaked out by the music in Amityville, and just traumatized over the gore in the original Friday the 13th. It was my first experience with a scary movie that had anything like that. 

Now it would probably take a lot more to scare me. 

I remember this old, crappy movie called Tourist Trap that just absolutely terrified me as a kid.

• Like 2

The Town That Dreaded Sundown absolutely wrecked my world as a kid. Since then Ive been through real world hell and back but for some reason that movie still sends chills up my spine 

The Town That Dreaded Sundown Poster

• Like 2

On 29/05/2018 at 3:34 AM, SecretSanta said:

I saw about a half of The Human Centipede and turned it off. It wasn't due to the graphic or gruesome theme. It just had this horrible overbearing sense of people suffering, and wasn't entertaining in the least. Horrible film.

A Serbian Film, I've seen one clip, and know the controversy surrounding the film. I wouldn't touch this one with a bargepole.

• Like 3

Yep, A Serbian Film, I will not watch that one. I really don't need those images in my brain. Also movies like The Hills Have Eyes and Martyrs  are movies I pass on. When I was younger I was driven by curiosity, even though I know I would feel grossed out. I partially watched Salò - The 120 Days of Sodom and Cannibal Holocaust but decided that this wasn't my thing at all - just mindless human torture and pain.

The Human Centipede are also gross-like ones that I stay clear of. I just don't need those images in my mind. I did actually watch one that was a bit like The Human Centipede, and that was Tusk. I really regret that now, lol. Even now, when I write this, I get those images from the movie in my mind. :ph34r:...*erase & rewind, please*

But, I watch just about any paranormal/supernatural/sci-fii-moivie out there instead. Give me The Exorcist & Alien any day at the week...:P

• Like 1

One movie that really crept under my skin was 8MM. I know other people think it was just bad, and/or not particularly creepy or appalling at all, but it really got to me. It has a very dark, depressing, and distressing feel to it. The deeper he delves into this world of torture/snuff-movies, and trafficking & abuse, a whole new gruesome world opens up for him. A world that exists parallel to the "normal" world, right in front of us. As he goes on he gets more and more depressed with what he uncover, and horrified. Really creepy atmosphere.

• Like 1

On 5/28/2018 at 10:57 AM, LV-426 said:

I wouldn't say "afraid" is the right word.

There are certain things that don't sit comfortably with me though. For example, I've never watched The Accused, due to the harrowing theme of the movie.

Rubber/CGI monsters and bucketloads of fake viscera... no problem. Realistic depictions of such an abhorrent crime, and the abject suffering involved... difficult to qualify as entertainment, in my opinion.

I regret buying a DVD titled "Maniac" (2012) starring Elijah Wood (yes, from Lord of the Rings). I suppose he took the part so as to not get typecast into lighter roles.

He's a very good actor but the thought of a homicidal Hobbit with all the realistic gore and suffering was a bit too much for me to take.

• Haha 1

'John Carpenter's The Thing' was pretty frightening for me. A good movie, though.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, EllJay said:

Yep, A Serbian Film, I will not watch that one. I really don't need those images in my brain. Also movies like The Hills Have Eyes and Martyrs  are movies I pass on. When I was younger I was driven by curiosity, even though I know I would feel grossed out. I partially watched Salò - The 120 Days of Sodom and Cannibal Holocaust but decided that this wasn't my thing at all - just mindless human torture and pain.

The Human Centipede are also gross-like ones that I stay clear of. I just don't need those images in my mind. I did actually watch one that was a bit like The Human Centipede, and that was Tusk. I really regret that now, lol. Even now, when I write this, I get those images from the movie in my mind. :ph34r:...*erase & rewind, please*

But, I watch just about any paranormal/supernatural/sci-fii-moivie out there instead. Give me The Exorcist & Alien any day at the week...:P

I was gonna mention The Hills Have Eyes.

The kind of movie you might start watching and then just say to yourself, why am I putting myself through this? 

There's really no good reason, so you shut it off. 

8 hours ago, EllJay said:

One movie that really crept under my skin was 8MM. I know other people think it was just bad, and/or not particularly creepy or appalling at all, but it really got to me. It has a very dark, depressing, and distressing feel to it. The deeper he delves into this world of torture/snuff-movies, and trafficking & abuse, a whole new gruesome world opens up for him. A world that exists parallel to the "normal" world, right in front of us. As he goes on he gets more and more depressed with what he uncover, and horrified. Really creepy atmosphere.

Yeah, that's pretty ugly, too. 

8 hours ago, StarMountainKid said:

'John Carpenter's The Thing' was pretty frightening for me. A good movie, though.

That's a classic. Even as a remake, it's a classic. 

I don't like the dog scene, though. Any tragedy involving a dog is particularly disturbing to me. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Likely Guy said:

I regret buying a DVD titled "Maniac" (2012) starring Elijah Wood (yes, from Lord of the Rings). I suppose he took the part so as to not get typecast into lighter roles.

He's a very good actor but the thought of a homicidal Hobbit with all the realistic gore and suffering was a bit too much for me to take.

I lasted like...I dunno...3 minutes into Maniac when I stumbled onto it already running. 

I had to pass. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, ChaosRose said:

I lasted like...I dunno...3 minutes into Maniac when I stumbled onto it already running. 

I had to pass. 

I watched it 'til the end. For a horror film, which I'm a fan, that's just not a film I can recommend. It's well made, craft wise, perhaps too well made.

It's just too horrible to comprehend.

Then again, there's horror and then there are slasher films. 'Silence of the Lambs' is a psychological slasher film classic.

'Maniac', is a boil down into a seriously psychotic mind. Truly disturbing. Frodo will never be the same for me.

Edit: Yeah, the first three minutes are absolutely painful, so that in the rest of the movie, there are no 'surprises'. It just gets weirder.

Edited by Likely Guy
  • Like 1

On 6/1/2018 at 10:32 PM, ChaosRose said:

I was gonna mention The Hills Have Eyes.

The kind of movie you might start watching and then just say to yourself, why am I putting myself through this? 

There's really no good reason, so you shut it off. 

I watched part of the Hills Have Eyes and couldn't handle it.     The Texas Chainsaw Massacre gave me nightmares.....

• 1 month later...