Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is Starbucks becoming "Starbums"?

pallidin

Heard that Starbucks in certain locations now allows anyone, paying or not, to frequent the business, sit at tables, and use the bathrooms.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, pallidin said:

Heard that Starbucks in certain locations now allows anyone, paying or not, to frequent the business, sit at tables, and use the bathrooms.

It's been like that for many years where I live. Usually, things seem to go smoothly. I rarely see people complain unless someone who really disturbs people shows up. Maybe other locations are different, but it was pretty similar when I lived in California, too. I'd be sitting there with a coffee and then someone with a grocery cart full of old, used carpeting and mummified cats slowly creeps up and sits down, gets a few looks, but is usually left alone and they'll eventually leave. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, pallidin said:

I've been to Starbucks bought my drink and had no place to sit. I am not sure if there were non-paying customers there but there easily could have been. Don't forget the free internet too. I see people bringing in food from other establishments too.

Where's the cut-off point when homeless people camp out there as they now do in my local library. 

This everyone welcome as long as they want policy is not always going to be as nicey-nicey as it sounds. There's going to be problems sometimes. And if someone is asked to leave,,,,and also just happens to be let's say African American....???? I'm thinking sometimes liberalism and the real world will collide. There are people that will take advantage of liberal policies.

I think I would prefer the more common policy that you have to purchase an item to stay.

Edited by papageorge1
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, papageorge1 said:

I think I would prefer the more common policy that you have to purchase an item to stay.

Starbucks isn't the most common-sense corporation.  I'm glad they're getting it in the face for once.  I won't even use a public restroom in a store along the highway without buying SOMETHING from them.  It's just common courtesy.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, and then said:

Starbucks isn't the most common-sense corporation.  I'm glad they're getting it in the face for once.  I won't even use a public restroom in a store along the highway without buying SOMETHING from them.  It's just common courtesy.

Common courtesy along with common sense are a thing of the past my friend. It really is a damn shame.

• Like 2

i'm sure majority of stores are fine, only some stores in some areas that have those problems.  they are huge chain, with very limited franchises, they can sacrifice few stores for the sake of being politically correct. 

• Like 1

Have their staff undergone the mandatory "sensitivity training" yet?

• Like 1

This doesn't bother me at all because I don't use Starbucks.   I am amazed at the amount of people who spend 2X the money to go there.  

• Like 6

not just money, time too, stop on any rest area along ny thruway and prbly many other major highways, there will be Starbucks kiosk, with a long line, at the same time there will be other kiosks selling coffee, in many cases no worst than starbucks, with no lines.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Well they can operate their business however they want.  An open door policy has probably earned them more money than it's lost.

Well they can operate their business however they want.  An open door policy has probably earned them more money than it's lost.

1 hour ago, aztek said:

not just money, time too, stop on any rest area along ny thruway and prbly many other major highways, there will be Starbucks kiosk, with a long line, at the same time there will be other kiosks selling coffee, in many cases no worst than starbucks, with no lines.

Their coffee is OK, but I'm not a coffee snob so what do I know? It seems to me Starbucks is successful because of good marketing. They are selling a lifestyle, like Apple does. Who doesn't want to be that smart looking guy at the coffee shop writing the next big screenplay on his laptop? Urbanites want to be seen with an iPhone in one hand and a Starbucks cup in the other. It helps project a version of themselves in to the world that they want others to see. A successful, trendy city dweller (according to the advertisements and sitcoms).

Edit to add--

I've never tasted a coffee in my life that was worth waiting in line for. Not once. I've had good coffee and bad coffee but even the good stuff can be substituted with a mediocre roast from the corner store if  the coffee shop has a line around the corner. Time > coffee.

Edited by Dark_Grey
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, and then said:

Starbucks isn't the most common-sense corporation.  I'm glad they're getting it in the face for once.  

They're not stopping there. They are now closing 8,000 stores for a day for racial sensitivity training as a response to one overblown issue the media successfully turned into a racist drama. They are namby-pamby hippy enough to make me roll my eyes but not quite puke. Of course they can afford to still be that way with the profit margin on their $4 to $6 drinks.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, pallidin said:

Starbucks has always been like that, trust me I've been drinking their coffee before it was ever a franchise.  The branch where the two men were arrested was not following company policy, and now because of that incident corporate is taking measures to ensure that policy is clear to all of their employees.  Honestly I don't know why people get so freaked out about every little thing Starbucks does.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, and then said:

Starbucks isn't the most common-sense corporation. 

Actually for years the vision of Starbucks was to be a place in your neighborhood where people could just hang and converse, surf the web, or do whatever.  It's meant to be a welcoming social atmosphere.  I don't get why people get their panties in a bunch.  There are similarly run cafe's in Europe that we come back from our vacations saying how neat that is.

• Like 2

I don't think we've seen the end of this.  As people continue to take advantage of their recently publicized open door policy Starbucks may have to refine it a bit with rules and regulations.  Then there will be protests from groups that see their all points access to Starbucks as a right that is being denied.  Being asked to leave at closing time will become an infringement.  Demands will be made for free coffee for the poor because it's not fair for only those who can afford it to have coffee, etc.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Actually for years the vision of Starbucks was to be a place in your neighborhood where people could just hang and converse, surf the web, or do whatever.  It's meant to be a welcoming social atmosphere.  I don't get why people get their panties in a bunch.  There are similarly run cafe's in Europe that we come back from our vacations saying how neat that is.

I agree.   It is their business, they can run it like they want to.  

3 minutes ago, Lilly said:

Dunkin’ Donuts drive through for me. 

Same thing my wife says.:lol:

2 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Same thing my wife says.:lol:

Your wife is obviously a discerning woman. 

• Haha 1

Interesting. I never go there, but now i know i can go and use their internet without having to buy a coffee....i may just pop in.

3 minutes ago, Lilly said:

Your wife is obviously a discerning woman. 

Both her and my youngest love dunkin'. I think their coffee's pretty good myself.

9 minutes ago, Big Jim said:

I don't think we've seen the end of this.  As people continue to take advantage of their recently publicized open door policy Starbucks may have to refine it a bit with rules and regulations.  Then there will be protests from groups that see their all points access to Starbucks as a right that is being denied.  Being asked to leave at closing time will become an infringement.  Demands will be made for free coffee for the poor because it's not fair for only those who can afford it to have coffee, etc.

And then, they will go out of business (such policies will render them unable to prosper).

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

Both her and my youngest love dunkin'. I think their coffee's pretty good myself.

I even buy their ground coffee and brew it up at home. Their bagels are pretty good too. 

• Like 1