Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Telepathy ??!

Relam

7 minutes ago, openozy said:

I call it telling a story,like you do with your kids and grandkids,whether true or not,who cares,its what every family or tribe have been doing since the beginning of humans.

I don't have grandkids.

You sound like how my young brother was, a realist who so wanted to believe but just couldn't bring himself to.

6 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I don't have grandkids.

28 minutes ago, openozy said:

You sound like how my young brother was, a realist who so wanted to believe but just couldn't bring himself to.

Switch that around. I used to believe till reality red pilled me. I realized that magical and wishful thinking lead to bad choices, where a critical eye could've prevented them.

Just to add that maybe my currently very critical opinion of the supernatural is a hope that I'm wrong. That I didn't waste over 20 years of my life practicing magick. That it actual meant something. But there's nothing. No gods, no ghost, nor are they spirits, demons, or angels. Just figments of the imagination. Nothing real to it. Maybe I'll be wrong someday.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, XenoFish said:

But there's nothing. No gods, no ghost, nor are they spirits, demons, or angels. Just figments of the imagination. Nothing real to it. Maybe I'll be wrong someday.

The wait is over! You are wrong every day on UM.  The spirit world, and psychic abilities (including premonitions) do exist.

Just because you don't believe, or don't want to believe at this time in your life, doesn't make it all go away.

Edited by acute
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

11 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Switch that around. I used to believe till reality red pilled me. I realized that magical and wishful thinking lead to bad choices, where a critical eye could've prevented them.

I can relate to that, life is magic in itself but you do have to hold the rudder.It doesn't hurt to dream though.

On 7/10/2018 at 1:21 PM, acute said:

The wait is over! You are wrong every day on UM.  The spirit world, and psychic abilities (including premonitions) do exist.

Of course they exist. People have vivid imaginations. As for premonitions, a blind hog will find an acorn once in a while.

Just because you don't believe, or don't want to believe at this time in your life, doesn't make it all go away.

It would have to exist in order to go away.

Truth is I simply don't care. No amount of effort that anyone could make will change anything. Unless factual and repeatable evidence is presented for psychic abilities, they go in the woo box. Along with bigfoot, little grey aliens, atlantis, and god. 

• Like 1

On 7/10/2018 at 7:28 PM, openozy said:

I can relate to that, life is magic in itself but you do have to hold the rudder.It doesn't hurt to dream though.

You know what happens when a dreamer dies? A cynic is born. 

On 8/7/2018 at 10:19 PM, Goddess of the Mist said:

And I've experienced what the op is talking about way to many times for it to be some chance occurrence.  

Ditto!

• Like 2

So where are the best examples?  Surely, instead of handwaving about anecdotes, in an age where everyone and their dog carries a mobile phone and camera, and we have surveillance cameras everywhere, etc, etc, there should be some reasonably evidenced examples?

If not, then I think it's quite reasonable to dismiss unsupported anecdotes as exaggerations or misrememberings, or simply occurrences that were nothing more than coincidental happenings or due to intuition/empathy and a hole host of other potential explanations.

Can I ask believers a few simple questions:

1. Wouldn't telepathy, even if it was a 'weak' effect, be of immense usefulness for society?

2. If you agree, why isn't it being studied by reputable organisations, and why aren't there serious efforts to train people in how to do it, available on the web?

3. Would you not agree that if telepathy really existed, it should be trivially easy to test / prove?

Edited by ChrLzs

9 hours ago, ChrLzs said:

Can I ask believers a few simple questions:

1. Wouldn't telepathy, even if it was a 'weak' effect, be of immense usefulness for society?

2. If you agree, why isn't it being studied by reputable organisations, and why aren't there serious efforts to train people in how to do it, available on the web?

3. Would you not agree that if telepathy really existed, it should be trivially easy to test / prove?

Hi,

1. Not for those who wish to control the population with lies and deceptions.

2. See answer to question #1.

3. I would not agree with that perception.

John

• Like 2

So where are the best examples?  Surely, instead of handwaving about anecdotes, in an age where everyone and their dog carries a mobile phone and camera, and we have surveillance cameras everywhere, etc, etc, there should be some reasonably evidenced examples?

^ ^ How will these devices help record telepathic incidences?

If not, then I think it's quite reasonable to dismiss unsupported anecdotes as exaggerations or misrememberings, or simply occurrences that were nothing more than coincidental happenings or due to intuition/empathy and a hole host of other potential explanations.

^ ^ How do you make the mental leap from 'Telepathic incidences can't be recorded' to 'It's quite reasonable to dismiss unsupported anecdotes etc.'?

Can I ask believers experiencers :) a few simple questions:

^ ^ As with all things, there is a positive and a negative side to it.  

^ ^ I don't agree, but wonder who you think these 'reputable organisations' would be and how they would go about 'studying' telepathy? Why do you imagine it is something people can be trained to do when it so obviously isn't?

^ ^ Well, I know it really exists and precisely because I have experienced it myself many times, I know it would be impossible to test/prove.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, XenoFish said:

Nothing more than belief perseverance, false positives, and self induced delusions. 

And you can prove that by .........?

Sorry Ouija I have you on ignore. So if you could telepathically tell me what you wrote that would be great.:tu:

2 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Sorry Ouija I have you on ignore. So if you could telepathically tell me what you wrote that would be great.:tu:

How convenient! :lol: How cleverly you dodged the question you didn't want to answer ..... can't answer.

• Haha 1

Ouija. That's the thing about having people on ignore, you don't have to care about their opinions. For someone who supposedly has me on ignore You need to act like it. You've lost all the respect I had for you. Your word means nothing to me and once the notification issue is resolved I'll be a lot happier.

49 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Ouija. That's the thing about having people on ignore, you don't have to care about their opinions. For someone who supposedly has me on ignore You need to act like it. You've lost all the respect I had for you. Your word means nothing to me and once the notification issue is resolved I'll be a lot happier.

But I don't have you on 'ignore'! :) And don't hold your breath with regard to the notification issue being resolved; it doesn't sound as if it's going to happen in the near future, if at all. Re-read Saru's post in your 'Notification Fix' topic. 

Edited by ouija ouija
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, John from Lowell said:

Hi,

1. Not for those who wish to control the population with lies and deceptions.

Can you explain how that works?  Are you not free to post?  Are there not many examples of folks posting (admittedly silly and unconvincing) claims of telepathy, PK etc?  Have there not been quite a few examples of studies into it, and other related subjects (eg men staring at goats..) - the trouble being that no positive results were achieved..

2. See answer to question #1.

See rebuttal to Answer #1.

3. I would not agree with that perception.

Gee, I'm impressed with how much thought you put into that 'dismissal'....

Here's my suggestion on just one preliminary way you could test it...  Give a piece of paper that has, say a random word or 4-digit number on it, to the 'transmitter'.  They need to be out of sight/sound of the 'receiver'.  You can probably guess the rest, and the sort of simple controls that could be used.

Tell me, you don't think this sort of test has been done before? 

Edited by ChrLzs
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, ouija ouija said:

And you can prove that by .........?

... You not providing evidence to support the claim.  Thus, there is nothing to prove/disprove.

• Like 1

... You not providing evidence to support the claim.  Thus, there is nothing to prove/disprove.

Firstly, could I refer you back to post #67 on the previous page where I asked you some questions. Do you have answers?

Secondly, you have absolutely hit the nail on the head in your post that I have quoted above! I cannot prove that my experiences were real ....... and you and others cannot prove that they weren't real! :w00t: And so, in any discussion of telepathy, premonitions etc. we will always go round and round in circles, endlessly repeating ourselves.

(I notice the OP has disappeared without trace!)  

• Haha 1